Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 09:49
German to English
+ ...
Internet search included for toolbar Aug 19, 2005

First of all, thanks to Jason and co. for all the good work. I must say, I find it rather unsettling that some people fly into an angry panic whenever they spot a bug - all it takes it to mention it briefly and it's usually taken care of very promptly. Par for the course, people!

I've downloaded the toolbar and like it very much, but would prefer to have "Internet Search" rather than "KudoZ search".

The one thing I do dislike is the restrictions on non-native speakers
... See more
First of all, thanks to Jason and co. for all the good work. I must say, I find it rather unsettling that some people fly into an angry panic whenever they spot a bug - all it takes it to mention it briefly and it's usually taken care of very promptly. Par for the course, people!

I've downloaded the toolbar and like it very much, but would prefer to have "Internet Search" rather than "KudoZ search".

The one thing I do dislike is the restrictions on non-native speakers - it is perfectly clear from the icons whether answerers are native speakers or not, and - for instance - it would be a sad loss for the German-English pairing if regular German contributors like Klaus were excluded. Yes, I know that this is optional, but new members might exclude non-natives from the very beginning and never include them. Best to get rid of this option, I reckon.

Thanks again

Ian
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 00:49
English to French
+ ...
Another glitch Aug 19, 2005

I was barred from answering a question because the field was "Other" and I have not listed it as a working or specialty field!

I agree with other posters that 1) this is quite overwhelming and 2) the native language restriction is not really helpful, quite the opposite imho.

If you want to use a language proficiency filter, then we should have a way to validate proficiency -in any language for that matter, being a native doesn't mean you're good.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Greatest thing since sliced bread! Aug 19, 2005

I love the toolbar, a wonderful improvement, thanks a lot!

Ian wrote:

The one thing I do dislike is the restrictions on non-native speakers - it is perfectly clear from the icons whether answerers are native speakers or not, and - for instance - it would be a sad loss for the German-English pairing if regular German contributors like Klaus were excluded. Yes, I know that this is optional, but new members might exclude non-natives from the very beginning and never include them. Best to get rid of this option, I reckon.

I 100% support Ian's suggestion, an additional "Internet search" button would be great.

I think there are to many restrictions now, but as I understood it, you can turn most features off. At least I believe that is what I did. I want not only Klaus's contribution, but also anybody else's. It is my task, as the person who asked the question to check the answers that are available, and I do not want to miss a single one.
If on the other hand somebody does not want my input - fine - his/her decision.

Thanks a lot to everybody involved in continuously improving the system and

Have a nice weekend

Siegfried

[Edited at 2005-08-19 20:32]

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:49
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sug. Aug 19, 2005

1) Can you differentiate more the answer to the question itself and the comments (agree/disagree)? The fact that the color, font size, and column width are the same makes it confusing when taking a quick look at the questions.
2) The "Good one!" sign should be added when more than one thinks so, because only one is too little reference (very subjective to one's tastes and background knowledge). I think two votes for "good one!" would be ok.

Natalia

[Edited at 200
... See more
1) Can you differentiate more the answer to the question itself and the comments (agree/disagree)? The fact that the color, font size, and column width are the same makes it confusing when taking a quick look at the questions.
2) The "Good one!" sign should be added when more than one thinks so, because only one is too little reference (very subjective to one's tastes and background knowledge). I think two votes for "good one!" would be ok.

Natalia

[Edited at 2005-08-19 21:16]
Collapse

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Agree with Ian Aug 19, 2005

Ian Winick wrote:

The current situation seems a bit misleading as I have stated in my SC, as it is not clear that these are options which seem to be not mandatory. Askers don't really know what to select at the moment. My suggestion: rename the current options and add a third (or fourth) one.

Is:
--Required native language--
-> Answerers must be native speakers of the target language
-> Answerers must be native speakers of the source language

Could be:
--Select the required language competence for your question--
-> Only answers by native speakers of the target language
-> Only answers by native speakers of the source language
-> Answers by native speakers both of the target and source language

Or something like this, I'm NOT a native speaker of English

--Select required expertise in this language pair--
-> Answerers must have expressed interest in this language pair
-> Answerers must work in this language pair
plus:
-> All answers welcome

--Select required expertise in this field--
-> Answerers must have expressed interest in this field
-> Answerers must work in this field
-> Answerers must specialize in this field
plus:
-> All answers welcome

These are my two Euro-cents, I do not often ask KudoZ questions, but when I do ask a question I would like to have as many suggestions as possible and won't like to have to select restrictions that might exclude many potential contributors "a priori" without having the possibility to include them all if I wish to do so.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »