Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Sep 13, 2005

ryfka wrote:

Also, I don't like the idea of hiding the number of the asker's questions and answers. It allowed a much quicker access to his open questions, which was very helpful, and saved a lot of clicking, especially if you're flagging that person.

I also think it is a useful feature.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
New Beta much better Sep 13, 2005

The new Beta design is much better now, lighter color, easier to read. Still missing asker Q/A rate, though.
Walter

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:51
English to Italian
+ ...
multilingual Sep 14, 2005

Hi there,

a couple of points:

1) If I write a question, but forget to set the language, when I go to set the language I lose the question and have to start from scratch (if not saved in the clipboard)

2) Is it possible to have in the drop down menu where we set the language combination we want to read kudoz questions in more than one option saved? I only look at En-It, En-En and It-It, but the system remembers only en-it. I would like to toggle between my a
... See more
Hi there,

a couple of points:

1) If I write a question, but forget to set the language, when I go to set the language I lose the question and have to start from scratch (if not saved in the clipboard)

2) Is it possible to have in the drop down menu where we set the language combination we want to read kudoz questions in more than one option saved? I only look at En-It, En-En and It-It, but the system remembers only en-it. I would like to toggle between my areas of interest more easily.

Cheers,

Andrea
Collapse

moken
moken  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Do you find this question interesting?" check-box Sep 15, 2005

Dear Proz staff,

I haven't been able to visit your proz/kudoz sites all that much for the last couple of months, so:

a) I haven't used all the features all that much yet, so I probably be back to give further feedback
b) Thanks for 'letting me off' having to read the previous posts in this thread, it's almost a job in itself!

At first glance, there are a great many changes and I thought getting used to the new design would be a niusance, especially si
... See more
Dear Proz staff,

I haven't been able to visit your proz/kudoz sites all that much for the last couple of months, so:

a) I haven't used all the features all that much yet, so I probably be back to give further feedback
b) Thanks for 'letting me off' having to read the previous posts in this thread, it's almost a job in itself!

At first glance, there are a great many changes and I thought getting used to the new design would be a niusance, especially since it came on the back of several previous re-hauls. However, the basics remain the same and I have not encountered any major difficulty. Any new and optional feature is more than welcome.

As a non-platinum mamber, I find the limit on the number of questions that can be asked is only fair. I'll make do with my 5. How about a little prompt when you go over the limit, along the lines of "Are you sure you should have accepted this job in the first place?!"

I have used the KOG under the new format and haven't found it too complicated. In any case, I very rarely search the glossaries and tend only to use the old 'Kudoz Search'. If my own dictionaries and glossaries don't contain the term I'm looking for, I normally like to have an explanation as well as a translation. Kudoz is where I can find it.

I've spotted an interesting feature, the "Do you find this question interesting?" check-box when answering a question. Quite clearly, NOT ALL questions are interesting and I find some much more gratifying to answer than others. (Not that I don't try to help when/wherever possible, time-permitting.) I must admit, I'm intrigued...

Which is the final aim of this check-box? (If this Q. has already been asked and answered, could you point me to the right page in the thread, please?)

Thanks again for your efforts and txs in advance for your reply,

Álvaro ))
Collapse

moken
moken  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
'Ctrl+Click' "Field" selection in ProZ.com Term Search? Sep 16, 2005

Hi again.

A suggestion for future consideration.

The "Field" area in the term search has now been widened to include all separate categories, when formerly there were only half a dozen broader ones to choose from...this may seem a good idea, but I sometimes find it quite time consuming:

Unfortunately, we ProZ users are often careless when specifying the field. Moreover, when we do try to be precise, percpetions still vary. What I consider should qualify as
... See more
Hi again.

A suggestion for future consideration.

The "Field" area in the term search has now been widened to include all separate categories, when formerly there were only half a dozen broader ones to choose from...this may seem a good idea, but I sometimes find it quite time consuming:

Unfortunately, we ProZ users are often careless when specifying the field. Moreover, when we do try to be precise, percpetions still vary. What I consider should qualify as "Medical, General" might for someone else be "Medical, Pharmaceutical".

Before, I could just enter "Medical" and expect to find maybe 1/2 a dozen entries for a term, which in "All fields" might return 77. For this purpose, some fields are just too specific.

Now, when it a term is suscpetible to different uses in different fields, I might have to run 5 separate Kudoz searches to get there. E.g. I try "Any field" and get 77 results. I have to whittle it down. But then I might the medical term sought only turns up in "Medical / Cardiology" (perhaps even mis-classified) after having searched General, Instruments and Pharmaceutical*.

What chances are there of running multiple field searchs (with a 'ctrl+click' selection), in order to search in four or five categories where you might expect to find your term within context?

Thanks for listening!

Álvaro

*Incidentally, on the "Medical" subject, why "Cardiology" and not other specific medical fields. Why not "Surgical", surely broader than cardiology (...?) In this particular case, the coice of fields seems pretty random.
Collapse

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:51
English to Polish
Agree Sep 16, 2005

I think you have a point here. There are so many fields that sometimes askers don't bother to search for the appropriate one, and simply choose "Other/Other."

I also think it would be very helpful if the asker had to choose a general field first, and then was offered a few specific fields (subfields of the chosen general field). As it is now, it's really hard to get through this loooong list. Just a suggestion
... See more
I think you have a point here. There are so many fields that sometimes askers don't bother to search for the appropriate one, and simply choose "Other/Other."

I also think it would be very helpful if the asker had to choose a general field first, and then was offered a few specific fields (subfields of the chosen general field). As it is now, it's really hard to get through this loooong list. Just a suggestion

I just noticed that when you enter terms in your personal glossary, the list of fields to choose from is much shorter and more manageable. Why not use it for questions as well?

[Edited at 2005-09-16 17:43]
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Get rid of "Other" Sep 16, 2005

ryfka wrote:

I would even go so far as to abolish "Other" altogether. This would force askers to make up their minds and classify questions properly at the outset.

Steffen

margarete
margarete  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
German to English
+ ...
visual design Sep 16, 2005

I just now discovered the option of going back and forth between the new design and the old V3 design. After clicking back and forth a few times I cannot help but notice how much easier to read and view the old design is.

Don't get me wrong, the new features are great, but why not keep the visual design of V3. I am probably missing something, but I cannot quite see what the visual design of the new version is trying to improve.

I think the borders of the old design and
... See more
I just now discovered the option of going back and forth between the new design and the old V3 design. After clicking back and forth a few times I cannot help but notice how much easier to read and view the old design is.

Don't get me wrong, the new features are great, but why not keep the visual design of V3. I am probably missing something, but I cannot quite see what the visual design of the new version is trying to improve.

I think the borders of the old design and the way the search term and category was centered helped the eye to find where to look.

The new design seems to lack a clear structure.

So here is my vote... Implement all the new and useful features, but keep the old (V3) visual design that seems much more evolved than the new one.

Cheers
Ariane
Collapse

Yvonne Becker
Yvonne Becker  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can't grade Sep 17, 2005

Ariane Mertz wrote:

I agree with Ariane. For example, right now, I wanted to grade some answers (on the new design page) and I can't. The option to choose the most useful answer disappeared. And I can't get back to the previous design. What can I do?

From the old design, I miss the time counter. With the new design I can't see how long ago I've posted a question. I haven't figured out how many hours of difference there are between my local time and the one of the proz page.

On the other hand, some of the new features are great. I like that I can have some info on the answerers (if the person works in the field, the points earned in the field). I like the possibility to choose a specific dialect for teh languages. And the most useful improvement is that when you ask something that is already in the glossaries, the system shows you possible answers before you post the question. I generally check glossaries before I ask a question, but one of the times I forgot I noticed this detail.

Regards, Yvonne

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:51
English to Romanian
How to grade an answer in the new design Sep 18, 2005

Yvonne Becker wrote:

I agree with Ariane. For example, right now, I wanted to grade some answers (on the new design page) and I can't. The option to choose the most useful answer disappeared. And I can't get back to the previous design. What can I do?

Hope this will help you.
Maybe you haven't noticed it yet, or maybe it has now disappeared?
If it has disappeared, this should be a temporary problem.

Under each answer you have the option "Select this answer as most helpful". Click on the one under the answer you want to select. A window for grading will appear. Award the points, and write a note if you want, then click OK, or whatever it says there.
After this, nothing will happen apparently on the page, but if you go to kudoz list and then return to the page again, you will see that you have graded and closed the question.
This is a disadvantage of the new design: you can't see immediately after grading that the question was indeed closed. You have to come back later to the page, and you will see it closed.
Maybe someone from the staff will look into this. It may be annoying somehow, if you haven't got used to the new design yet.

Sorry if my description is not accurate, but it's several days since I've graded an answer, but, anyway, this is how it should work.
Good luck

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Is a simple, browsable alphabetic list possible? Sep 18, 2005

Could we have the terms in each language apir simply arranged alphabetically?

I have been searching for a term in Danish-English, which I am almost certain I have seen a couple of months ago... but it is apparently not there. (Forvagt is the term).

It takes a long time to search all the subcategories, for instance of 'Medical' and health care... and a number of terms might fit in several of them depending on the text, so you have to search them all to be sure.
... See more
Could we have the terms in each language apir simply arranged alphabetically?

I have been searching for a term in Danish-English, which I am almost certain I have seen a couple of months ago... but it is apparently not there. (Forvagt is the term).

It takes a long time to search all the subcategories, for instance of 'Medical' and health care... and a number of terms might fit in several of them depending on the text, so you have to search them all to be sure.

Could we have an undivided alphabetical summary, where it is possible to see at a glance whether a term has been asked for earlier? Simply like a dictionary?

This would help with the problem of wrongly categorised terms too.
It would be really fantastic if we could see, say, everything beginning with D - or any other letter - on a single screen, or 50 entries at a time, just to find out whether they were there, or whether a new question was called for.

We're getting fussy now - we're used to getting so much, we just want more! So Thanks for all your efforts!

Christine
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
use the Proz.com term search Sep 18, 2005

Christine Andersen wrote:

Could we have an undivided alphabetical summary, where it is possible to see at a glance whether a term has been asked for earlier? Simply like a dictionary?

Christine

All you have to do is use the Proz Term Search. It's very fast and efficient.

Select "Proz.com Term Search" from the KudoZ drop-down menu at top of page. You can get search results for the glossaries (both KOG and members' personal glossaries), KudoZ archives and Glosspost--all at once. You don't have to search by category or field (although you can), and you can opt to search whole words (or not) or to match an entire phrase. You can also search in the reverse language pair at the same time.

With this capability, I really don't think an alphabetical list is needed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »