Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This answer has been made invisible to others Aug 23, 2005

Hi everyone:
I´ve got a little problem with the new Kudoz. In the last three questions I´ve answered there appears a sign that reads: this answer has been made invisible to others though I haven´t made them invisible or given any reason to do that. Do you know why that happens?. Thanks in advance
Marina

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:54
German to English
KudoZ update Aug 23, 2005

Marina Soldati wrote:

n the last three questions I´ve answered there appears a sign that reads: this answer has been made invisible to others though I haven´t made them invisible or given any reason to do that. Do you know why that happens?. Thanks in advance
Marina

Same thing happened to me, Marina. But I switched to another version - I can't remember which one - and the message disappeared. It's obviously a glitch that needs to be cleared up.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:54
English to Turkish
+ ...
Was a bug perhaps? Aug 23, 2005

Hi Marina,

I've just checked your last answers, none of them is invisible. Perhaps you've already solved the problem. Otherwise, you can ask for help of a moderator in your pairs.

Regards!

Strange Checked again after reading Kim's message, yes, when I switch to Beta Test New Design, I see your answers made invisible. You may want to submit a Support Request if it persists.

Marina Soldati wrote:

Hi everyone:
I´ve got a little problem with the new Kudoz. In the last three questions I´ve answered there appears a sign that reads: this answer has been made invisible to others though I haven´t made them invisible or given any reason to do that. Do you know why that happens?. Thanks in advance
Marina

[Edited at 2005-08-23 02:29]

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK, I give up! Aug 23, 2005

I could download the Kudoz Toolbar for IE and it is great!

Jason, please!!! Help me out to download it for Mozilla Firefox! I have switched to Mozilla long ago and really like it better.

Some colleagues contacted me via email (thanks, girls!) and gave me many many hints, but none of them seemed to work

Jason...

Thanks,
Andrea

[Edited at 2005-08-23 03:02
... See more

Jason, please!!! Help me out to download it for Mozilla Firefox! I have switched to Mozilla long ago and really like it better.

Some colleagues contacted me via email (thanks, girls!) and gave me many many hints, but none of them seemed to work

Jason...

Thanks,
Andrea

[Edited at 2005-08-23 03:02]
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 01:54
English
KudoZ FireFox toolbar install problem Aug 23, 2005

Andrea Ali wrote:

Jason...

Thanks,
Andrea

[Edited at 2005-08-23 03:02]

Hi Andrea,

Try right clicking on the link for the FireFox toolbar and clicking "Save Link As". Save it on your hard drive and within FireFox, select "File", then "Open File", and select the toolbar file (kudozbar_firefox_v1.xpi) that you just downloaded. Press the "Open" button. Shut down all your FireFox windows, open FireFox back up and you should have it working.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Justin

Denis Kiselev
Denis Kiselev
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:54
English to Russian
+ ...
A few notes Aug 23, 2005

First of all, good job guys! Can't say I like everything about the new KudoZ design (and restrictions) but I DO like the idea improvement and not "standing still". Now more specifically about what is good and what is not so good (IMVHO).

1. Term and asked details are great. Especially the ability to click and see all/open questions of the asker. I would only suggest making the details more "compact" - they occupy too much space now and the question is partially lost because it often
... See more
First of all, good job guys! Can't say I like everything about the new KudoZ design (and restrictions) but I DO like the idea improvement and not "standing still". Now more specifically about what is good and what is not so good (IMVHO).

1. Term and asked details are great. Especially the ability to click and see all/open questions of the asker. I would only suggest making the details more "compact" - they occupy too much space now and the question is partially lost because it often takes much less space than its details. For example, some words like "Asker" in "Asker name", "Questions" in "Questions asked" and "Questions Answered" could be easily omitted. This way we could also return answerer details to the top of the question (after the answer is selected). Much free space to the left and right of the asker picture also looks not so good.

2. The button "I think it's a good question" is nice, but I guess there also should be a "rollback" to it in case someone presses it accidentally (just like I did on a dictionary question.

3. I am really missing the confidence bar that was in V3 design. Please, bring in back. I also don't quite like the idea of giving a whole column in the answer table just for confidence and elapsed time: it takes too much space which could be used for other puprose like the answer text.

4. The links "Return to KudoZ list - KudoZ Open Glossaries" look very much like one link. I would suggest separating them somehow (not sure, how).

Well, that's all for now. Again, great job, guys!

WBR,
Denis
Collapse

BrigitteHilgner
BrigitteHilgner
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Glossary, new design in general Aug 23, 2005

The new design of the open glossary is dreadful and anything but user-friendly. The good thing about the old one was the fact that I could type in a word/expression without having to worry about categories - now I am supposed to do that. My use of the glossary will go down to zero because I just can't be bothered - there are now quicker ways to find a solution. Such a pity that good material is being wasted because it is made too difficult to access.
Regarding the new design in general: me
... See more
The new design of the open glossary is dreadful and anything but user-friendly. The good thing about the old one was the fact that I could type in a word/expression without having to worry about categories - now I am supposed to do that. My use of the glossary will go down to zero because I just can't be bothered - there are now quicker ways to find a solution. Such a pity that good material is being wasted because it is made too difficult to access.
Regarding the new design in general: messy. I don't need any of these changes.
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
use the "Proz.com Term Search" Aug 23, 2005

BrigitteHilgner wrote:

Regarding the new design in general: messy. I don't need any of these changes.

Select "Proz.com Term Search" from the Kudoz drop-down menu at top of page. You can get search results for the glossaries (both KOG and members' personal glossaries), Kudoz archives and Glosspost--all at once. This is a great new feature. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll like it.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Related Kudoz = 0... Aug 23, 2005

... even though I answered a question in the General Medicine field, in which I have quite a few kudoz (169)!

What do I need to do? I think others have mentioned the same problem in this thread, but I don't have the time to make a systematic search through it.

(additional) - actually, I think I've just answered my own question - is the number of related Kudoz language-sensitive as well as field-sensitive? If so, it would explain why my Kudoz = 0 for this q
... See more
... even though I answered a question in the General Medicine field, in which I have quite a few kudoz (169)!

What do I need to do? I think others have mentioned the same problem in this thread, but I don't have the time to make a systematic search through it.

(additional) - actually, I think I've just answered my own question - is the number of related Kudoz language-sensitive as well as field-sensitive? If so, it would explain why my Kudoz = 0 for this question.

[Edited at 2005-08-23 13:24]
Collapse

Nick Lingris
Nick Lingris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Bug in the source term of an answer Aug 23, 2005

This is a minor thing, but still different behaviour from the old V3 design (and I don't know if anyone else has already brought it up; I'm losing track).

When you give an answer and change the source term (for a number of reasons), the new design does not keep the change as the old design does. We would love to have our proposed source term displayed in greyed-out text next to the proposed translation.

Thanks in advance, and bear with us!

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It worked! Aug 23, 2005

justin wrote:

Hi Andrea,

Try right clicking on the link for the FireFox toolbar and clicking "Save Link As". Save it on your hard drive and within FireFox, select "File", then "Open File", and select the toolbar file (kudozbar_firefox_v1.xpi) that you just downloaded. Press the "Open" button. Shut down all your FireFox windows, open FireFox back up and you should have it working.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Justin

Thanks a bunch, Justin!

Andrea

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 00:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
About the good question button & the confidence bar Aug 23, 2005

Denis Kiselev wrote:

2. The button "I think it's a good question" is nice, but I guess there also should be a "rollback" to it in case someone presses it accidentally (just like I did on a dictionary question.

3. I am really missing the confidence bar that was in V3 design. Please, bring in back. I also don't quite like the idea of giving a whole column in the answer table just for confidence and elapsed time: it takes too much space which could be used for other puprose like the answer text.

There are lots of things I want to say regarding this topic, but I've been putting it off until I have the time to compose a coherent piece of text (my brain is turning to mush right now).

However, I randomly noticed this two things just now:

1) (I've been meaning to ask about this one):
What exactly is the "I think it's a good question" button? I mean, I've seen lots of questions recently marked as "Good question!" or "Good one!", and lots of those are in the French-English pair for some obscure (to me) reason... but... what exactly is the point of this option? Am I missing something? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious

2) The confidence bar ---> huh? when did it disappear? I'm seeing it now (well, not NOW now, but in another tab I have open in my browser - [place commercial here]I love Firefox's tabbed browsing[/end of commercial]).

I do think the confidence bar is necessary, because it shows that, while you are trying to help by giving an answer as well you can, sometimes you aren't sure if your answer is the right one/fits the context/etc., BUT that doesn't mean it cannot enlighten things for the asker. In this case, I think the saying "bad answers are worse than no answer at all" (or something...) does not apply.

As an asker of... pfft! I don't know, roughly 800 questions or so, maybe more, I am extremely grateful for all those good souls that have answered my questions, regardless of their confidence levels, and much more so if those levels are low, just because of having answered at all! There have been cases in which I have only received one answer, and with a low confidence level, and still it has been helpful, because it has pointed me in the right direction to, eventually, find what I'm looking for.

On the other hand, for an answerer, the confidence bar is useful to show (when it's low) you are guessing, but still want to help, so your peers aren't too harsh on their disagrees... (I don't know if I'm making myself clear).

*sigh* I've run out of gas... I'll post other things as I remember them.

In the meantime, I really wanted to say this --> A HUGE THANK YOU to ProZ's staff for listening to all of our complaints, suggestions, ideas, opinions, and so forth, in order to make this the best language website ever!

[Edited at 2005-08-23 20:38]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »