Auteur du fil: Mimi7
Mimi7
Mimi7
Local time: 14:19
anglais vers français
+ ...
Dec 4, 2001

Hi all,

I have a customer who has kindly sent me five or so referrals over the last year since she has received compliments on my work. Recently she sent me an email asking for a translation \"favor\" (doing it at no-charge) since she has sent me several customers. The \"favor\" is 5100 words of text from an 11 page website. I am wondering how to reply to her since, although I have truly appreciated the referrals, I have already reduced my fees for her clients (to .06 US per word) s
... See more
Hi all,

I have a customer who has kindly sent me five or so referrals over the last year since she has received compliments on my work. Recently she sent me an email asking for a translation \"favor\" (doing it at no-charge) since she has sent me several customers. The \"favor\" is 5100 words of text from an 11 page website. I am wondering how to reply to her since, although I have truly appreciated the referrals, I have already reduced my fees for her clients (to .06 US per word) since they are a non-profit company with a good cause. It seems that doing this much for free is a bit excessive. Has anyone else received this type of request? Is it common and what would be the best way to handle it in your opinion? Thank you very much. - Lynelle Detlefsen
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
In memoriam
No freebies, but maybe a discount? Dec 5, 2001

5100 words for free seems truly excessive.

Maybe you could offer her a one-time discount, as a professional courtesy and a thank you for the referrals? And make it clear that this is a one time deal.

IMHO, how much you charge the clients she referred to you should not figure into the equation.

But if this is truly a good client who pays on time and whom you wish to keep happy, you might try the following: reiterate that, as she wel
... See more
5100 words for free seems truly excessive.

Maybe you could offer her a one-time discount, as a professional courtesy and a thank you for the referrals? And make it clear that this is a one time deal.

IMHO, how much you charge the clients she referred to you should not figure into the equation.

But if this is truly a good client who pays on time and whom you wish to keep happy, you might try the following: reiterate that, as she well knows, you do this for a living, and that a project of that size is simply much too large for you to do pro bono. However, as a token of your appreciation for her past business and all her referrals, you would be happy to extend her a one-time special discount of xx (% or $$, and you\'ll have to decide how much; factoring in such things as repitions, formating, whatever. Personally, I think 10 to 15% would be quite fair, espec. if she\'s brought you a lot of business. If you want to be generous, say maybe 20%?)

Asking for 5,000+ words for free seems a bit cheeky to me, but I think that offering a one-time discount (and being very clear that it is a one-time discount only) might be an acceptable compromise.

HTH

Good luck!

Ulrike
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"free\" translation requests from good customers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »