texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
On a more serius note... Jul 25, 2008

I wholeheartedly agree with Nicole, but I have a few questions for Gábor:

Do you have a contract? You should have signed one before accepting to translate a book (on Shar Pei dogs, frogs, horses or else).
Which were the payment conditions?
Did you set your terms, any terms, in writing?

These are key points here.

[Edited at 2008-07-25 01:40]

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:09
English to Spanish
Never mind. Jul 25, 2008

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:
Oh dang it! I knew I would have put my foot in my mouth again . I was referring to the OLD Mayans, before they were conquered by the Spaniards. They didn't have any real money (in the way we have today).
I hope I haven't offended any colleagues who can pride themselves of being Montezuma's descendants. If so... I apologize... again (before getting the curse of Montezuma, you know what it is).

Gosh, it's so hard to say something jokingly today without offending someone!
Hey guys, can I let you know that I was just KIDDING?

Siiiiiighhhh.....

I live and was born in the country where old Mayans lived, and I am still surprised about why we use paper for trading our assets. Paper! Wouldn't it be better to trade our translations for food, shoes, cloth, and even dogs??

Yeah... I know "paper" buys all the above, but it's still paper...

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
English to Italian
yeah Jul 25, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

I live and was born in the country where old Mayans lived, and I am still surprised about why we use paper for trading our assets. Paper! Wouldn't it be better to trade our translations for food, shoes, cloth, and even dogs??

Yeah... I know "paper" buys all the above, but it's still paper...

Yeah, right, considering that cocoa beans are more precious than paper!

So basically, if I did a BIG translation, let's say for a car dealer, they should give me if not a car at least a set of new tires... right?

Or if I did a translation on dentistry, rather than being paid in cheap paper money, they could give me a deep cleaning and throw in a couple of porcelain veneers.

And what if I did a translation for a resort somewhere in the world? Will they offer me a couple of free nights there?

The answer (despite the fact that some solutions might sound appealing) is NO.

Joking apart, I will never stop stressing the fact that translators are professionals just like say, lawyers, doctors or accountants: you don't go to a lawyer and after he has worked his b*** off to get you out of trouble, you tell him: "look, I don't have the money to pay you, but I can give my grandma's coffee table, my tabby cat that I love very much, my kid's Playstation and a couple of boxes of beer".

If you translator have agreed on a certain sum for that translation project and all the conditions are stated in a PO which both parties agreed upon, then the client has no pot to piss in: you translator have every right to contact a collection agency or take the client to court, should the problem persist. There is no need to be irate. IF you have a paper that states the conditions for the Sharpei translation, you just need a couple of clear and well written emails or letters where you remind them which were the contracted terms and conditions, and that the client agreed to pay X amount within X number of days. If he doesn't pay the due sum within that deadline, you will take legal steps. Clear and simple.

If they didn't have the money to pay for your service they should have never asked you to start this job. As they played dirty, then you have every right to take any possible step to get your compensation. It's unacceptable that they have the brazen face to offer you a dog, no matter if it's pure breed or simply very cute and desperately needing love.

[Edited at 2008-07-25 07:24]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Man bites dog Jul 25, 2008

I wouldn't say it's mocking, Nicole. In the very likely event Gábor's going to get a dog or little else, he may as well try to make a go of it.

The film Riens mentions may be a little way out and whimsical, but why not? I don't agree AT ALL with the way Gábor's been treated, but I'm thinking of his chances in a court in Hungary, or anywhere else for that matter. Going to court isn't like taking the subway, sitting down to breakfast or playing tennis. Court proceedings are depress
... See more
I wouldn't say it's mocking, Nicole. In the very likely event Gábor's going to get a dog or little else, he may as well try to make a go of it.

The film Riens mentions may be a little way out and whimsical, but why not? I don't agree AT ALL with the way Gábor's been treated, but I'm thinking of his chances in a court in Hungary, or anywhere else for that matter. Going to court isn't like taking the subway, sitting down to breakfast or playing tennis. Court proceedings are depressing, lengthy and costly affairs, aren't they? Meanwhile you have to do translations.

No need to go to court - in addition to the farm idea, he could just lie doggo, sell the story to the News of the World, and let the press hound these people for him.
Collapse

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Dog/puppy farming Jul 25, 2008

Having been in the breeding/showing circles for a while now (long enough to encounter all sorts of horrors some poor animals are subjected to) the first thing that poked me in the eye was DOG FARM.
Errrrm.... BAD BAD BAD!!!
NO reputable breeder would EVER refer to their kennel as a dog farm and if someone else pointed their finger at them and said this, that would be the end of their reputation in the breeding circles.
Reputable breeders don't pay in puppies, be it for mating
... See more
Having been in the breeding/showing circles for a while now (long enough to encounter all sorts of horrors some poor animals are subjected to) the first thing that poked me in the eye was DOG FARM.
Errrrm.... BAD BAD BAD!!!
NO reputable breeder would EVER refer to their kennel as a dog farm and if someone else pointed their finger at them and said this, that would be the end of their reputation in the breeding circles.
Reputable breeders don't pay in puppies, be it for matings, goods or services for that matter. (Just imagine if they all decided to pay the dreaded, overblown vet bills in puppies, which come to think of it wouldn't be such a bad idea lol)
Reputable breeders usually have waiting lists and pups are spoken for as soon as they are born.
I'm really surprised that none of you guys have picked up on all of this already, but Gabor, if you really are dealing with the puppy farmer here, I wouldn't hold my breath of ever seeing my earnings.

Here's why:

............The best way to describe a puppy farm is to say that it is a place where puppies are bred, purely as a way to make money, without any regard for the welfare of the dogs involved......

Since responsible breeding is actually an expensive business, puppy farmers will cut as many costs as possible so that they can make the maximum profit – they don’t care about the suffering or if a few puppies die in the process. Cost cutting includes; breeding from bitches too often and from too young an age, cramming dogs into unsuitable kennelling and feeding only enough for them to survive and breed, not giving proper vet care or vaccinations and sending pups off for sale when they are too young to leave their mothers.......... FEEL FREE TO ADD: not paying the translator's fees

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/poppysopinions/puppyfarming/

If you do a Google search on dog and puppy farming you'll be hit with thousands of pages of horror stories.

Gabor under no circumstances should you accept a puppy as a way of settlement.

That's it from me for today I can get off the box now and get back to my work.

[Edited at 2008-07-25 10:52]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Copyright... Jul 25, 2008

It depends on the law in your country, but there is a chance that if they did not fulfill their part of the agreement, they have no right to your translation. In other words, if they publish they book, they might commit a more serious offence than just defaulting on payment (again, depends on the legal situation).

I think it is worth a try to warn them about that - after all, they want the book to be published, don't they?

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
:D :D :D Jul 25, 2008

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

Tomorrow
?

Oh my, I think I've just dislocated my jaw
Ciao Brunetta!

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:09
English to Spanish
Gabor, read me, please Jul 25, 2008

Some of us have been kidding about this strange payment for a translator in need of money as everybody else. But we understand you deeply. Don't ever think we don't.

Go for your money, Gabor! Don't give up. How? I can't know the Laws in your country, but use them!

We are with you.

Tadzio Carvallo.

Milena Bosco (X)
Milena Bosco (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Gabor careful! Jul 25, 2008

This is called barter, and it is regulated strictly. How much does a dog cost to the client? Because whatever the price is on the market he would be paying you very badly giving you a dog for that value.

I'll make an example: let's say the dog costs on the market 100 euros and let's say the farmer is making 80 euros profit selling it. If the client owes you 100 euros he is going to have to pay you with five dogs (do you have a big house?).

I would just insist on gettin
... See more
This is called barter, and it is regulated strictly. How much does a dog cost to the client? Because whatever the price is on the market he would be paying you very badly giving you a dog for that value.

I'll make an example: let's say the dog costs on the market 100 euros and let's say the farmer is making 80 euros profit selling it. If the client owes you 100 euros he is going to have to pay you with five dogs (do you have a big house?).

I would just insist on getting paid saying that you live in a spot where you are not allowed to have dogs. Just tell him to sell the dog and pay you with the profit.

Start working for jewellers!

Have a nice week end, Milena
Collapse

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The house where I live Jul 25, 2008

I live in a big house,almost 200 sqm,and almost and there is almost an acre of field around it,but still I consider this payment a reiciculous one.And I am not alone with this view of mine,am I?

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Your house and the dog Jul 25, 2008

Would you accept a horse if your house measured 400 m2 and you had 2 acres
of land?

Paola

[Edited at 2008-07-25 17:21]

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Definitely not alone Jul 25, 2008

Gábor Széles wrote:

I live in a big house,almost 200 sqm,and almost and there is almost an acre of field around it,but still I consider this payment a reiciculous one.And I am not alone with this view of mine,am I?

Hi Gabor,
of course it is ridiculous. That's why everybody reacts like this - how could anyone take this seriously?

Insist on getting paid in money, good, hard cash. If, for some reason, they cannot pay you at the moment, try negotiating instalments.

Good luck!
Margreet

Milena Bosco (X)
Milena Bosco (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I was kidding! Jul 25, 2008

I was kidding around when I asked you about the size of your house!)

Of course you shouldn't go for it, what I meant with my post is that the client should pay you the right amount, and if he were to pay you in barter then you should have signed a contract establishing the terms and the value (as far as the client is concerned) of the goods he might be offering you.

Must be a nice house...:)

... See more
I was kidding around when I asked you about the size of your house!)

Of course you shouldn't go for it, what I meant with my post is that the client should pay you the right amount, and if he were to pay you in barter then you should have signed a contract establishing the terms and the value (as far as the client is concerned) of the goods he might be offering you.

Must be a nice house...:)

Have a great one,
Milena
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dog breeder's deductive reasoning Jul 25, 2008

The Syllogism

major premise: He who finds a friend, finds a treasure

minor premise: A dog is a man’s best friend

conclusion:

[Edited at 2008-07-25 22:24]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
English to Italian
:-D Jul 25, 2008

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

The Syllogism

major premise: He who finds a friend, finds a treasure

minor premise: A dog is a man’s best friend

Texjax for President!!!!!!

[Edited at 2008-07-25 23:12]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shocking payment practices

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »