Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Suspected scam (overpayment method)
Thread poster: Jennifer White
Pilar Olfos
Pilar Olfos  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:17
French to Spanish
me sucedió lo mismo que a Isadora : www.proz.com/translation-jobs/539602 Jun 17, 2011

Postulé a un trabajo de Proz hace una semana. Me sorpendí que me hubieran respondido, más aún cuando escribí a una señora o señorita, BENEDETTA MONTI y me responde un señor, JAMES MONTI. Era una soberana estafa, además un texto en francés mal escrito; cualquier delincuente postea avisos . Buscando en la web encontré que el mismo mensaje que a mí me enviaron y, que copio a continuación, fue enviado a otras personas.

Hello:

My Name is James,Am out of tow
... See more
Postulé a un trabajo de Proz hace una semana. Me sorpendí que me hubieran respondido, más aún cuando escribí a una señora o señorita, BENEDETTA MONTI y me responde un señor, JAMES MONTI. Era una soberana estafa, además un texto en francés mal escrito; cualquier delincuente postea avisos . Buscando en la web encontré que el mismo mensaje que a mí me enviaron y, que copio a continuación, fue enviado a otras personas.

Hello:

My Name is James,Am out of town to Sweden,I appreciate the time you take out to send your CV and the write up.I have checked your Cv and i am pleased to tell you that i choose you to work on the project for we are in between a new business.I am a Private investor who work with local and few foreign business on short time business.I attached a part of the work tittles project, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.
Address is .
Name. James Monti
Address..34, vallingby,
Stockholm
Sweden
Now i guess you have an idea of the person you about to start work with. Please let it be clear that it is a beginning of a good business relationship so consider that about the price.
The delivery date is negotiable but must be done in 2weeks
Can you state out your date of delivery and method in which you will have all done
please calculate the total amount, also state out the discount..
categorically state your city and country of residence?

I hope we can come to term for success of this project. Thank you

Best regards
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Each circle has its own writing style Jun 17, 2011

So is the circle of scammers. The writting style of scammers is apparently different to that of a PM of a translation company or that of a direct client.

You don't need to ponder that much on the email's content to make a correct judgement that the email has come from a scammer. A glimpse at their writting style tells you everything.

Mariela Gonzalez Nagel
Mariela Gonzalez Nagel
France
Local time: 04:17
Member (2006)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Parece que somos varios los elegidos... Jun 17, 2011

Yo también fui "la" persona elegida para hacer este proyecto. También me llamo la atencion la redaccion del mail, que se parecia mucho a uno de otra propuesta de hace unos meses , que decia la misma frase: "Now i guess you have an idea of the person you about to start work with." Me querian pagar con traveller check, yo cobro por PayPal, les dije que vean si PayPal les aceptaban los traveller check, una vez que el dinero estuviera acreditado en mi cuenta, comenzaba con el proyecto.

... See more
Yo también fui "la" persona elegida para hacer este proyecto. También me llamo la atencion la redaccion del mail, que se parecia mucho a uno de otra propuesta de hace unos meses , que decia la misma frase: "Now i guess you have an idea of the person you about to start work with." Me querian pagar con traveller check, yo cobro por PayPal, les dije que vean si PayPal les aceptaban los traveller check, una vez que el dinero estuviera acreditado en mi cuenta, comenzaba con el proyecto.

Y terminé mi mail:

"Thank you for your scam".

Saludos,

Mariela
Collapse

Elena Zaffaroni
Elena Zaffaroni  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Same scam received Jun 17, 2011

Dear colleagues, I received the same mail as Isadora, but with a different name for the sender:

Hello,

My Name is Attilio Loiacono,Am out of town to Sweden,I appreciate the time you take out to send your CV and the write up.I have checked your Cv and i am pleased to tell you that i choose you to work on the project for we are in between a new business.I am a Private investor who work with local and few foreign business on short time business.I attached a part of the wor
... See more
Dear colleagues, I received the same mail as Isadora, but with a different name for the sender:

Hello,

My Name is Attilio Loiacono,Am out of town to Sweden,I appreciate the time you take out to send your CV and the write up.I have checked your Cv and i am pleased to tell you that i choose you to work on the project for we are in between a new business.I am a Private investor who work with local and few foreign business on short time business.I attached a part of the work tittles project, just want you to have understanding of what we are about to do together.I will be coming to France in 2weeks.I need translator to translate 15.450 words source of words for me from French into Italian.Part payment will be issued out before commencement of work for i do understand it is necessary since we working online.

Name. Attilio Loiacono
Address..34, vallingby,
Stockholm
Sweden

Now i guess you have an idea of the person you about to start work with. Please let it be clear that it is a beginning of a

good business relationship so consider that about the price.

The delivery date is negotiable but must be done in 2weeks
++ Can you state out your date of delivery and method in which you will have all done
++ please calculate the total amount, also state out the discount..

Your information is need for background check, please send in this information:

FULL NAME:
CONTACT ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP-CODE:
VALID PHONE:
MOBILE NUMBER:
HOURS FOR AVAILABILITY:

I hope we can come to term for success of this project. Thank you

Best regards

What I don't understand is how the scam works... Is it just to obtain our bank account numbers?
Collapse

Mariela Gonzalez Nagel
Mariela Gonzalez Nagel
France
Member (2006)
French to Spanish
+ ...
I think it works like this... Jun 17, 2011

Your bill is for 400 €. They send you traveller checks for 500 € and you have to send them 100€. But the traveller checks are stolen, so you never receive a pound.

Dr. Elena Maria A Chandler (Ph.D.)
Dr. Elena Maria A Chandler (Ph.D.)
Local time: 19:17
German to English
+ ...
Police not the correct agency Jun 19, 2011

Hi all,

I am not surprised that the police are not able or willing to respond to this matter. They are limited to a very defined jurisdiction. The agencies to notify in the US would be the FTC and the FBI, both of which deal with internet fraud and at least in the case of the FBI, international matters. You can obtain info and contact
... See more
Hi all,

I am not surprised that the police are not able or willing to respond to this matter. They are limited to a very defined jurisdiction. The agencies to notify in the US would be the FTC and the FBI, both of which deal with internet fraud and at least in the case of the FBI, international matters. You can obtain info and contacts to report this at:

http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/reporting.php

This would be a place to start if the IP address is coming up as belonging to a US provider (and since the person claims to be from the US at least some of the time).

I am not familiar with what areas the UK agencies deal with. You might try contacting the The Office of Fair Trading, the National Anti-Fraud Network (NAFN) or Dept. for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR).

Thanks for making the community aware of this scam.

best wishes,

Elena
Collapse

mgodfrey
mgodfrey
United States
Local time: 21:17
Wow... reading this thread is almost like reading a novel. :) Jun 20, 2011

Wow. What an amazing thread to read (and almost entertaining)! I learned well from all of you who took your precious time to research and warn colleagues. Thank you all.

I do not start anything until I receive a proper PO, for it should contain all business/personal information I need to know: i.e., their address/phone number/other contact methods as well as brief terms that we agreed upon. Once we (client and I) agree on the quote, I ask for their PO first; and usually well establi
... See more
Wow. What an amazing thread to read (and almost entertaining)! I learned well from all of you who took your precious time to research and warn colleagues. Thank you all.

I do not start anything until I receive a proper PO, for it should contain all business/personal information I need to know: i.e., their address/phone number/other contact methods as well as brief terms that we agreed upon. Once we (client and I) agree on the quote, I ask for their PO first; and usually well established clients do promptly sent PO.

Is it just me? or is it a regular practice to translate without PO?

Regards,
Minjung Godfrey
Collapse

Bureau Babel - Bérengère Brulebois
Bureau Babel - Bérengère Brulebois
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Jobpost from June 18th Jun 21, 2011

Hello,

I answered to a job post "German/French translation" on ProZ from June 18th and got this back:

Hello,

My Name is Andrew Smith,Am out of town to Sweden,I appreciate the time you take out to send your write up.I will be coming to France in 2weeks.I need translator to translate up to 17300 source of words for me from German into French of marketing document.I agree with your quote 0.10euro/word.Part payment will be issued out before commencement of wor
... See more
Hello,

I answered to a job post "German/French translation" on ProZ from June 18th and got this back:

Hello,

My Name is Andrew Smith,Am out of town to Sweden,I appreciate the time you take out to send your write up.I will be coming to France in 2weeks.I need translator to translate up to 17300 source of words for me from German into French of marketing document.I agree with your quote 0.10euro/word.Part payment will be issued out before commencement of work for i do understand it is necessary since we working online.

FULL NAME:
CONTACT ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP-CODE:
VALID PHONE:
MOBILE NUMBER:
HOURS FOR AVAILABILITY:

Best Regards

Already got the same mail with another name a month ago!!!
They try it again and again...

Best Regards

Bérengère
Collapse

Aurélie Gobet
Aurélie Gobet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I received it too! Jun 21, 2011

Hello,

I've just received the same email and answered it although I thougnt it was very badly written, and then, suspicious. That's why I looked for Andrew Smith on ProZ. I'm glad I read your message. I won't answer if this "client" answers to me.

Best regards

Bureau Babel - Bérengère Brulebois wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

My Name is Andrew Smith,Am out of town to Sweden,I appreciate the time you take out to send your write up.I will be coming to France in 2weeks.I need translator to translate up to 17300 source of words for me from German into French of marketing document.I agree with your quote 0.10euro/word.Part payment will be issued out before commencement of work for i do understand it is necessary since we working online.

FULL NAME:
CONTACT ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP-CODE:
VALID PHONE:
MOBILE NUMBER:
HOURS FOR AVAILABILITY:

Best Regards

Already got the same mail with another name a month ago!!!
They try it again and again...

Best Regards

Bérengère

Aneta A
Aneta A  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
English to Polish
Translation scam - Angelina Sanchez Jun 21, 2011

Dear All,

Fred (traveller scam) is not Fred anymore! He is Angelina Sanchez, sweet girl who urgently needs somebody to translate 8,100 words for her.....I replied to the first email and was sent 3 completely unrelated documents (as some of you mentioned before - Human Trafficking, Mergers and Acquisitions & one on Foreign Exchange!!!).

All translations needed for Angelina's presentation that is in a week's time!! I was stupid enough to believe her!!! Thank you very ver
... See more
Dear All,

Fred (traveller scam) is not Fred anymore! He is Angelina Sanchez, sweet girl who urgently needs somebody to translate 8,100 words for her.....I replied to the first email and was sent 3 completely unrelated documents (as some of you mentioned before - Human Trafficking, Mergers and Acquisitions & one on Foreign Exchange!!!).

All translations needed for Angelina's presentation that is in a week's time!! I was stupid enough to believe her!!! Thank you very very much for posting your emails on this forum....
This time the translation was from English to Polish but I'm sure that Angelina (Fred?) is quite multilingual so she/he might become somebody else in her next email asking for a different language combination.

I really don't know why people do that....I was quite suspicious after her second email and did some search on her....but obviously did not find anything...until I checked this forum! Thank you all very much

My cheque is in the post.......

Aneta Popiel

[Edited at 2011-06-21 20:39 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Rodríguez
Elena Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
A mi también me ha pasado Jul 21, 2011

Yo también recibí un mensaje del tal James Monti después de mandarle mi oferta a través del anuncio que colgaron a principios de junio en esta página. No pensé que el correo fuese sospechoso pero después de escribirle dos correos más y no contestarme empecé a tener mis dudas y ahora me encuentro con esto. ¡¡ Qué horror!!! Espero que no ... See more
Yo también recibí un mensaje del tal James Monti después de mandarle mi oferta a través del anuncio que colgaron a principios de junio en esta página. No pensé que el correo fuese sospechoso pero después de escribirle dos correos más y no contestarme empecé a tener mis dudas y ahora me encuentro con esto. ¡¡ Qué horror!!! Espero que no tengamos problemas

http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/539602

Esta era la oferta de trabajo que proponían.
Collapse

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

The glory of "am"s Aug 2, 2011

Whenever you see "Am out of town" "am pleased to offer work to you", why would you even bother accepting the offer? Those are some of the age-old traits of a scam email...grammar mistakes and strange phrase usage abound...mine started with a "dear," (dear WHO?), sending a "pics" is fine (a picture, or a pic); "I have store in England" , and the best:

"Note...I want you to know that am not in the state for now,but i will not mind to pay you extra $ for you to keep it for me till the
... See more
Whenever you see "Am out of town" "am pleased to offer work to you", why would you even bother accepting the offer? Those are some of the age-old traits of a scam email...grammar mistakes and strange phrase usage abound...mine started with a "dear," (dear WHO?), sending a "pics" is fine (a picture, or a pic); "I have store in England" , and the best:

"Note...I want you to know that am not in the state for now,but i will not mind to pay you extra $ for you to keep it for me till the payment get to you. Because here they are worth more that the mount you give it to me.

Regard,
Roger"

Lovely to be doing business with someone who speaks like that.

So in retaliation, I wrote:

Hey Roger,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I think I have a simpler solution to all of this. I'll send you an overdraft in $10,000 (pounds), my cousin who lives near the British channel and whose western union branch is in the channel, can do the rest and he'll pick up the $9500 from you. What do you think?

I've also attached a map to indicate which part of the bottom of the sea is the location of my western union branch.

...sigh.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suspected scam (overpayment method)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »