Alisha Rice
Alisha Rice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:18
Member (Jun 2024)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 17

I was wondering if anyone could assist in translating my resume from English to Spanish and English to Portuguese. It's just asking for support so that I can post my resumes in these two languages. I know it's asking for a service that I cannot pay for and just for support but it would mean a lot to me as I wasn't trained to translate from my native language into these languages. I thought I would reach out to see if anyone would be kind enough to offer their support. Thanks!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Alisha Jun 17

When you say Portuguese, which variant are you talking about: Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Alisha Rice
Alisha Rice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:18
Member (Jun 2024)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Variant Jun 17

Either one is fine. I am familiar with both variants.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Alisha Jun 18

I could help you translating your resume into European Portuguese, but maybe it's best translating it into Brazilian Portuguese. It's up to you...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why not? Jun 18

Alisha Rice wrote:
I know it's asking for a service that I cannot pay for

Why can't you pay for it?

Baran Keki
Barbara Carrara
Elena Feriani
expressisverbis
Paul Adie
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:18
English to Turkish
Pro Bono Jun 18

Christopher Schröder wrote:
Alisha Rice wrote:

Especially, if the results of one of the latest polls here are to be believed, when the majority of Proz users are not so keen on doing Pro Bono work..
But, I'm more intrigued by the statement 'I wasn't trained to translate from my native language into these languages'. How does one get trained to translate into any language? I've been translating full-time for 17 years and I've never been trained to translate from or into English.

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't understand Jun 18

Baran Keki wrote:

Alisha Rice wrote:

Especially, if the results of one of the latest polls here are to be believed, when the majority of Proz users are not so keen on doing Pro Bono work..
But, I'm more intrigued by the statement 'I wasn't trained to translate from my native language into these languages'. How does one get trained to translate into any language? I've been translating full-time for 17 years and I've never been trained to translate from or into English.

Perhaps the OP means that she has no academic or university studies in languages such as Portuguese and Spanish, which contradicts a little the idea of claiming that both variants are familiar to her and that in her profile she translates from Portuguese and Spanish to English. I don't understand.
I think we can have our CV translated into any language we like on our Proz profile. Maybe that's an option?

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/104395-new_feature_upload_your_cv_in_multiple_languages.html

https://go.proz.com/blog/tips-translation-resume

[Edited at 2024-06-18 11:07 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Baran Keki

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 14:18
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Misrepresentation Jun 18

Wouldn’t it be like misrepresenting things to your clients? 1) you are not trained but 2) you want to show them a resume in perfect Portuguese (they will wrongly believe it was you who drafted it). With this belief, they will contact you in their native Portuguese and will expect you to reply back in an equally perfect PT.

Would you translate other people’s CV into English for free?

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
For what it's worth Jun 18

Lingua 5B wrote:

Wouldn’t it be like misrepresenting things to your clients? 1) you are not trained but 2) you want to show them a resume in perfect Portuguese (they will wrongly believe it was you who drafted it). With this belief, they will contact you in their native Portuguese and will expect you to reply back in an equally perfect PT.

That's precisely why I translate exclusively into European Portuguese.
Even though I understand and I'm familiar with Brazilian Portuguese, I don't have the skills to translate into this variant and it would be against my ethics/professional conscience if I did so.
In any case, for a client or agency, a CV in English, the lingua franca, is sufficient, I think.
But I agree with Lingua, writing a CV in perfect Portuguese and sending it to a native client (Brazlian or Portuguese) who can contact you, is to shoot oneself in the foot.
If that's an option, the OP can go to her profile, select 'CV/Résumé' and make it translated to Portuguese, in this case I believe it's Brazilian Portuguese applied here.

Captura de ecrã 2024-06-18 125325

On the other hand, if the 'intention' is to translate into your mother tongue, I don't think a CV in the source languages is a guarantee of immediate work.
It's your native language that matters, as well as having a good understanding of the source languages.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, I don't think so Jun 18

Lingua 5B wrote:

Why would it be misrepresenting yourself to have your marketing documents translated into a language you don't master? Why would your clients assume you wrote it yourself? Translation clients presumably understand the concept of getting things translated as they are doing just that themselves!

Zea_Mays
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
don't be harsh, guys Jun 18

Alisha Rice wrote:

Why asking such sensitive questions? Because a CV wouldn't mean a large amount?
Or because you think to smell a deliberate attempt to get it done pro bono?

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
professionalism Jun 18

expressisverbis wrote:

writing a CV in perfect Portuguese and sending it to a native client (Brazlian or Portuguese) who can contact you, is to shoot oneself in the foot.

I think providing a CV in bad Portuguese would be the real shot in the foot. Having perfect documents is a sign of professionalism IMO.

Rachel Waddington
expressisverbis
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Who else? Jun 18

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Why would it be misrepresenting yourself to have your marketing documents translated into a language you don't master? Why would your clients assume you wrote it yourself? Translation clients presumably understand the concept of getting things translated as they are doing just that themselves!

Who else is supposed to write your CV?

You do realize CV is being sent to direct clients as well, they don’t understand the concept of translation much. They will just automatically assume this person is completely fluent in PT of they see their CV in perfect PT. They will then typically phone this person to chat about their project in perfect PT, over the phone.

I never knew we should assume that someone’s CV had been written by someone else, that’s completely new to me. It can happen, but didn’t know it was pefectly normal to assume it. AI drafted maybe? Awesome.

Alisha Rice

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Really? Jun 18

Lingua 5B wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Who else is supposed to write your CV?

You do realize CV is being sent to direct clients as well, they don’t understand the concept of translation much. They will just automatically assume this person is completely fluent in PT of they see their CV in perfect PT. They will then typically phone this person to chat about their project in perfect PT, over the phone.

I never knew we should assume that someone’s CV had been written by someone else, that’s completely new to me. It can happen, but didn’t know it was pefectly normal to assume it. AI drafted maybe? Awesome.

If direct clients don't understand the concept of translation, why would they approach a translator for translation work?

Your argument seems to imply that any kind of copywriting or translation is unethical because clients will assume that the person doing the work wrote everything themselves. It just makes no sense, particularly coming from a translator.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree, Zea Jun 18

Zea_Mays wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

writing a CV in perfect Portuguese and sending it to a native client (Brazlian or Portuguese) who can contact you, is to shoot oneself in the foot.

I think providing a CV in bad Portuguese would be the real shot in the foot. Having perfect documents is a sign of professionalism IMO.

But being honest is also a sign of professionalism. I'm speaking for myself.
And looking for alternative routes is also another sign of professionalism. And I'm also speaking for myself here and through my experience.
I've provided one solution, but there are more: for example, at the OP's University, perhaps ask students and/or teachers who can help her writing her CV in Portuguese for free, regardless of the variant.
This was and is possible at the Universities where I studied. If Portugal does it, I'm sure the US and other countries do it too, right?
It might be worth a try or to ask.
But I'm digressing here, because the post isn't very clear to me. I know the OP is 'familiar' with both Portuguese variants but not 'trained' to translate to them. It's a bit confusing to me.
Sending a CV in English to a Portuguese translation agency or client wouldn't be a problem. In fact, I think they will appreciate and will be happy with that.

P.S.: I'm not harsh online, only in person

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CV Assistance

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »