How much rate is an average interpreter EN>SPA charging?
Thread poster: Ricardo Saavedra Parrado
Ricardo Saavedra Parrado
Ricardo Saavedra Parrado  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2023

Currently have the possibility of a job as medical interpreter, in the application is asking about how much my rate per minute is. Now this will be my first job as professional interpreter on the ENSPA combination, so I'm afraid of asking to little rate and scam myself, or asking too much and loose any possibilities of getting the job

It's a remote job and I will be working from home on my laptop, and it will be from Monday to Friday, so it's not a one time job

How much
... See more
Currently have the possibility of a job as medical interpreter, in the application is asking about how much my rate per minute is. Now this will be my first job as professional interpreter on the ENSPA combination, so I'm afraid of asking to little rate and scam myself, or asking too much and loose any possibilities of getting the job

It's a remote job and I will be working from home on my laptop, and it will be from Monday to Friday, so it's not a one time job

How much may I charge for minute? In USD please

Any help is welcome
Collapse

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:03
English to Polish
+ ...
interpreters do not charge per minute, not per hour Sep 4, 2023

Whatever language pair - interpreters do not charge per minute! Not even per hour! The standard unit is day. You can agree for half a daily rate for short online jobs - under 4 hours. Or just tell them the price of 1 minute equal to half a day. And offer a generous promotion - pay for one minute and get the other 239 free. Asking for a per minute rate is outrageous!

expressisverbis

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 10:03
Romanian to English
+ ...
I hope that you are kidding! Sep 4, 2023

Joanna Rączka wrote:

Whatever language pair - interpreters do not charge per minute! Not even per hour! The standard unit is day. You can agree for half a daily rate for short online jobs - under 4 hours. Or just tell them the price of 1 minute equal to half a day. And offer a generous promotion - pay for one minute and get the other 239 free. Asking for a per minute rate is outrageous!

In the US, remote (video) interpreting (medical/legal/social) is paid by the hour, minimum 2 hrs. Exception:- interpreting remotely in federal courts, when interpreters get paid 1/2 day as per schedule.

Most telephonic interp. is per minute (immigration/medical/some legal/social).

It is sad to read that some colleagues still think that interpreting is just conference or lengthy criminal trials and that interpreters cannot be translators as well.

I have been working in this field for over 25 years and cannot complain, since I can afford two months of vacation each year. My secret? I work in a verry narrow niche of legal interpreting and translation, immune (so far) to the AI and other platforms. Federal regulations forbid using them.

Best,
lee

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much rate is an average interpreter EN>SPA charging?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »