Wordfast Classic: Restoring the TM from its index file possible?
Thread poster: Robert Ćwik
Robert Ćwik
Robert Ćwik  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2012

Hello,

I have accidentaly deleted a huge TM (permanently). What was left is the last used index file .itx for this TM. Is it possible to restore the TM from the index file, or is it lost forever now?

Thank you for any tip, help, advice.

[Edited at 2012-10-29 10:56 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Only from .bak Oct 29, 2012

Look if you have the .bak-file. Otherwise you have to use your last backup file and clean up your working files since then.

Robert Ćwik
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 29, 2012

Unfortunately, I can't see any .bak file created (except for those of translated documents).

The TM was a large file compiled by me for years. Fortunately I have saved a version of it in April, but it has grown by a score of new terms over that time... It would be nice to have it back if possible.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
*.bak Oct 29, 2012

Robert Ćwik wrote:

I can't see any .bak file created (except for those of translated documents).

Dear Robert,

You can Clean up your *.bak files updating the TM. Try that in the Tools tab of WF Classic.

HTH,
Yasmin

Robert Ćwik
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cleaning *.bak files Oct 29, 2012

Yasmin, thanks a million

Fortunately enough, I usually keep the *.bak files. Didn't know what for until today

It will take some time, but I'll have almost 100% of my TM restored.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Clean up multiple files Oct 29, 2012

Robert Ćwik wrote:

Yasmin, thanks a million

Fortunately enough, I usually keep the *.bak files. Didn't know what for until today

It will take some time, but I'll have almost 100% of my TM restored.

You are very welcome!

You can clean up multiple files at a time. Open MS Word and close all the documents even the default one. This will make you able to see a "Browse" button under the "Tools" tab as shown in this screenshot.

It is better to work on copies, just in case.

HTH,
Yasmin

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
German to English
+ ...
Undelete? Oct 29, 2012

It might be possible to "undelete" the deleted file, either by recovering it from the "recycle bin" (if it is still there, although you wrote "permanently", so perhaps it isn't) or with special software that can recover even permanently deleted files, provided that the space they occupied has not been subsequently overwritten by other data. In Windows (and perhaps Apple and Linux), deleting a file does not in fact remove all its content from the disk - it removes the reference to it from the fol... See more
It might be possible to "undelete" the deleted file, either by recovering it from the "recycle bin" (if it is still there, although you wrote "permanently", so perhaps it isn't) or with special software that can recover even permanently deleted files, provided that the space they occupied has not been subsequently overwritten by other data. In Windows (and perhaps Apple and Linux), deleting a file does not in fact remove all its content from the disk - it removes the reference to it from the folder and declares its space free for other files.

e.g. look here: http://www.piriform.com/recuva
or here
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm

Oliver
Collapse

Robert Ćwik
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked perfectly OK Oct 30, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

You can clean up multiple files at a time.
---cut---
HTH,
Yasmin

After a few hours of work everything is in place again.

Once more thank you for an extremely helpful post.

Robert

Robert Ćwik
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have considered that Oct 30, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:
---cut---
In Windows (and perhaps Apple and Linux), deleting a file does not in fact remove all its content from the disk
---cut---

Oliver

Thank you. I know that, and I also know that installing a recovery program AFTER the file has been deleted would almost certainly overwrite its space (guess how I know...) unless you have more than one disk/partition. So it is best to install file recovery programs BEFORE (e.g. just after installing the OS) anything happens.

On the other hand, that would be fetching a cannon to shoot a fly in my case. Yasmin's solution proved both simple and effective here.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
German to English
+ ...
Useful point for other people Oct 30, 2012

Robert Ćwik wrote:
Thank you. I know that, and I also know that installing a recovery program AFTER the file has been deleted would almost certainly overwrite its space (guess how I know...) unless you have more than one disk/partition.

(This is for the possible benefit of other people following this topic)
Thank you for that remark - it makes me more aware of a good reason for having at least 2 partitions on your hard disk: keep the operating system and installed programs on the first partition (usually called C: in Windows) and have a separate partition (on the same hard disk, and called D:) for all your "user data": documents, translation memories, glossaries etc.
To learn what this means, if you don't already know, have a look here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/partitioning-hard-drives-2.htm

This uses a freeware partitioning program (Gparted) because the built-in partitioning facilities of Windows XP (and probably Windows 7), although they can delete and create partitions, cannot shrink existing partitions and retain their contents - Gparted can do that.
The important point about separate partitions is that they are treated as though they were physically separate disk drives - no program, data, document, deletion, done on one partition has any effect on the contents of another partition.

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic: Restoring the TM from its index file possible?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »