Fuzzy Index shows nonsensical results
Thread poster: robroy
robroy
robroy
Local time: 15:54
German to English
Apr 9, 2010

Hello,

Suddenly and for no apparent reason my Fuzzy Index is showing very strange results, for example:
Similarity: 99%
Source old: (empty)
Source new: (a sentence that I have not translated before, appears in bright green)
Target new: >< (in a kind of magenta colour)

- so no similarity whatsoever, but supposedly a 99% match! And this happens now with every single segment.

Closing and restarting Transit seems to solve the problem br
... See more
Hello,

Suddenly and for no apparent reason my Fuzzy Index is showing very strange results, for example:
Source new: (a sentence that I have not translated before, appears in bright green)

- so no similarity whatsoever, but supposedly a 99% match! And this happens now with every single segment.

Closing and restarting Transit seems to solve the problem briefly, but then after 10 minutes I am again offered fuzzy matches for every segment, matches which have no similarity with the source text!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Rob Roy

Transit XV Smart, SP 26
Collapse

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
reference Apr 9, 2010

robroy wrote:

Hello,

Closing and restarting Transit seems to solve the problem briefly, but then after 10 minutes I am again offered fuzzy matches for every segment, matches which have no similarity with the source text!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Rob Roy

Transit XV Smart, SP 26

Are you using reference material provided by the client? from other projects, or is it only reference material from the very project you are translating? does it happen only with this project or also with other projects?

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm using my "standard stock" of reference material Apr 9, 2010

Hello Luca,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
The reference material is actually converted from my old standard Trados stock of memories (in this particular case technical). I can't yet say whether it also occurs with other projects, because I'm in the middle of a big job just now and have no time to experiment. I just hope that my existing "stock" has not been contaminated!

However, after restarting Transit, I have not had any problems for the last half-hour. I'l
... See more
Hello Luca,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
The reference material is actually converted from my old standard Trados stock of memories (in this particular case technical). I can't yet say whether it also occurs with other projects, because I'm in the middle of a big job just now and have no time to experiment. I just hope that my existing "stock" has not been contaminated!

However, after restarting Transit, I have not had any problems for the last half-hour. I'll let you know if the problem recurs.

Thanks again

Rob Roy
Collapse

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 16:54
German to Arabic
+ ...
Also joining or splitting segments require refreshing Apr 9, 2010

Hi Rob,

If you joined or split a segment, this may cause the same result, so after joining or splitting a segment, you have to save the opened file, close and re-open it again.

Best regards

ATT

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That may be the solution Apr 9, 2010

Hello ATT,

You may have hit the nail on the head - I had in fact joined some badly-segmented sections! And as I say, for the last while I have not had the problem - since closing Transit (that is, saving and closing the file) and restarting. Since then no problems!

You really have a treasure trove of tips and hints!

Thank you again

Rob Roy

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
No need to close the file Apr 12, 2010

According to my experience, there is no need to close the file an reopen it after segmentation correction in the source file. Saving the source file systematically after each segmentation correction is enough to have the associative network regenerated on the next translation memory call.

Geneviève

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give it a try Apr 15, 2010

Thanks Geneviève,

I haven't had to change the segmentation in my last few projects, but when I do, I'll try out your tip.

Cheers

Rob Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzy Index shows nonsensical results

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »