Thread poster: Irene S.
Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 19:18
English to Polish
+ ...
I like checks Feb 21, 2013

For me getting a forged check is no tragedy - it goes straight into trash and the scammer has costs.

Andrada Constantinescu
Andrada Constantinescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
English to Romanian
+ ...
same here Feb 21, 2013

Hey guys,

I got the same message. He sent the file and I replied with the quote and then he asked for my "payment name and address". I just asked when he needs the file and the reply was: "Deadline is towards the end of next month and am going to send you an Euro bank draft so give me the name and address so that i can prepare the payment."

Why does he insist to find my address? It is definerely something strange...I don't want payment in advance, I care more of my saf
... See more
Hey guys,

I got the same message. He sent the file and I replied with the quote and then he asked for my "payment name and address". I just asked when he needs the file and the reply was: "Deadline is towards the end of next month and am going to send you an Euro bank draft so give me the name and address so that i can prepare the payment."

Why does he insist to find my address? It is definerely something strange...I don't want payment in advance, I care more of my safety

P.S. I searched this forum because I tried to find his name and the name of the company he pretends to work for on the Internet and I got nothing...

[Editat la 2013-02-21 15:47 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Advanced & overpayment Feb 28, 2013

I too received from him on the 20th February, so same date but did not check emails before 24th. February. Can someone please explain what overpayment signifies? I suppose he pays more- he did not do so in my case- and of course, you take the extra money, then what happens? Bank removes all the money given? Cannot you contact PayPal and et them know agreement was for xxx amount only, and to let you accept only xxx amount. I suspect he did not want to use PayPal as he knew he would be found out. ... See more
I too received from him on the 20th February, so same date but did not check emails before 24th. February. Can someone please explain what overpayment signifies? I suppose he pays more- he did not do so in my case- and of course, you take the extra money, then what happens? Bank removes all the money given? Cannot you contact PayPal and et them know agreement was for xxx amount only, and to let you accept only xxx amount. I suspect he did not want to use PayPal as he knew he would be found out. Why did not Proz.com realise something fishy was happening and at least let us know as message was from Proz.com so could have realised he was asking too many people, and let us know with the message.
He stopped communicating when I told him I would not be able to do all the interpreting as I am following MA course, so do not want to miss lectures.
I have given him my address now because he wanted to pay by Euro bank draft what should I take care of?
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Short explanation of the overpayment scam Mar 1, 2013

Although you can find plenty of information on proz about what the overpayment scam is, this is in short what it involves:

1) Bogus client contacts you about a translation job
2) You reply and they immediately agree on your rate and on sending you part payment in advance
3) Bogus client asks for your address to send you advance payment (usually by check [sic], or eurocheck [sic])
4) You receive a cheque and an explanation that due to some accident/mishap (usually o
... See more
Although you can find plenty of information on proz about what the overpayment scam is, this is in short what it involves:

1) Bogus client contacts you about a translation job
2) You reply and they immediately agree on your rate and on sending you part payment in advance
3) Bogus client asks for your address to send you advance payment (usually by check [sic], or eurocheck [sic])
4) You receive a cheque and an explanation that due to some accident/mishap (usually on the part of bogus client's 'secretary') you have been sent too much i.e. you have agreed 300€ for the job and you get 3000€ (oops, a 0 was added on by mistake)
5) You are asked to return the difference immediately via Western Union

The snag here is that the cheque is false and you never get the money, ending up - in the example given above - out of pocket for 2700€.

The scammers work on the basis that people are keen on proving their honesty and will be aghast at receiving money that they are not owed and return the funds straight away, as well as on the basis that banks take several weeks to actually clear cheques, although your balance in many cases shows the funds relating to the cheque, leading you to believe that you have the funds available in your account.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Possible scammer Mar 11, 2013

So why didn't he send any money yet? I did not send him translation when he no longer answered and he did not ask for it but I had sent him my details. He is sending to others now as well

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Scammers don't waste their time Mar 11, 2013

Josephine Cassar wrote:

So why didn't he send any money yet?

As soon as he realized you were on to him, he would drop you, as there's no point wasting his time with you any further.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:18
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Gmail account location Mar 11, 2013

Irene S. wrote:

He claims to be from Dublin, but the IP is from California and the email came from a gmail account.

Just BTW, all gmail account IPs are from California, since emails via gmail come from Google's server, which is based in California. The sender could be anywhere in the world.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »