Poll: How do you keep your brain healthy?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 23

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you keep your brain healthy?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 23

What have I been doing to keep my brain healthy ?

I stopped smoking some 40 years ago, I don’t drink alcohol, I kept working after my "retirement", I take an afternoon nap when I feel tired (sometimes just 15 minutes is enough), I like doing crosswords, I walk for 30 minutes everyday (I used to walk for longer when my dog was alive), I’ve been forcing myself to only eat healthy foods, I go to bed soon and get up early, I do some physical activities once a week for an hour direct
... See more
What have I been doing to keep my brain healthy ?

I stopped smoking some 40 years ago, I don’t drink alcohol, I kept working after my "retirement", I take an afternoon nap when I feel tired (sometimes just 15 minutes is enough), I like doing crosswords, I walk for 30 minutes everyday (I used to walk for longer when my dog was alive), I’ve been forcing myself to only eat healthy foods, I go to bed soon and get up early, I do some physical activities once a week for an hour directed by a professional physiotherapist. If only my knees worked as right as my brain...
Collapse

expressisverbis
Bin Adhikari
Simon Turner
Kay Denney

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My own profession Aug 23

I believe that my own profession helps me to keep my brain healthy.
The mental exercises inherent in translation work, such as switching between languages, problem-solving, and continuous learning, can help to keep my brain healthy and resilient over time.
And so I hope to continue my journey for a long time.

Nicholas Boline
Michele Fauble
Dan Lucas
Josephine Cassar
Christine Andersen
Zea_Mays
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Hasrina Munajat
Hasrina Munajat  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 11:22
Member (2023)
English to Malay
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How do I keep my brain healthy Aug 24

For me, having enough sleep (at least 6 hours) is the key for a healthy and productive brain function.

Peter Simon
Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Learn languages Aug 24

As I've retired from full-time work and I've had a couple of serious illnesses above 55, I've found my way back to physical exercising but I've also begun to enjoy learning new languages that I had neglected or thought unimportant before. I may not use them much for communication but I find the inner logic and the comparisons with what I already know interesting and remembering new words/phrases challenging enough at my age. I've also always enjoyed reading good novels and watching interesting f... See more
As I've retired from full-time work and I've had a couple of serious illnesses above 55, I've found my way back to physical exercising but I've also begun to enjoy learning new languages that I had neglected or thought unimportant before. I may not use them much for communication but I find the inner logic and the comparisons with what I already know interesting and remembering new words/phrases challenging enough at my age. I've also always enjoyed reading good novels and watching interesting films in my second language, for which I have more time now, and I can sometimes do the same in my third or fourth language.Collapse

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
All the usual things Aug 24

By trying to eat a good diet, walking a lot, dancing and playing music, and having a good circle of friends and acquaintances. I stopped drinking too - even moderate drinking is bad for your brain.

Bin Adhikari
Bin Adhikari
Nepal
Local time: 09:07
English to Nepali
+ ...
What I have been doing to keep my brain healthy... Aug 24

[quote]Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I stopped smoking some 4 years ago, I don’t drink alcohol.
I take an afternoon nap. I read newspaper and limit the screen time.
I go to bed soon and get up early.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:22
French to English
. Aug 25

Regular physical exercise
yes

Brain games and puzzles (e.g., crosswords)
yes

Meditation/mindfulness practices
yes

Getting enough sleep:
that's out of my control. I do what I can to sleep through the night, drinking herbal tea and going to bed as soon as I feel sleepy, but once I'm awake I'm awake.

Socializing with friends and family:
how does that keep my brain healthy? If I spend time with some family member
... See more
Regular physical exercise
yes

Brain games and puzzles (e.g., crosswords)
yes

Meditation/mindfulness practices
yes

Getting enough sleep:
that's out of my control. I do what I can to sleep through the night, drinking herbal tea and going to bed as soon as I feel sleepy, but once I'm awake I'm awake.

Socializing with friends and family:
how does that keep my brain healthy? If I spend time with some family members my brain has to stand back and scale down. I would probably need to take some mind-numbing meds if I had to put up with them regularly.
Limiting screen time : nobody's perfect, get off my case will ya!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you keep your brain healthy?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »