Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you request payment in advance from new clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:39
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Oct 11, 2013

Anyway, does that mean payment in advance in the sense of making payment before they received the translation? Or does that mean COD?
In either case, I never ask, I don't think it a reasonable request.
After all, I'd never pay anyone doing any kind of work for me before I'd seen and was happy with the results either.

[Edited at 2013-10-11 15:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-11 15:57 GMT]

Marius Reika
Marius Reika  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
English to Lithuanian
Depends Oct 11, 2013

Big project, new client, no record of payment practices: surely I do.

Couldn't care less if the client thinks I don't trust him, peace of mind is more important to me. And yes, I was paid in front sometimes.

The problem is that some translators are too timid to ask for it, and get burnt afterwards (IMO, this applies mainly to newbies who are desperate to get any kind of work).

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, of course! Oct 11, 2013

Why wouldn't you?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A couple of times Oct 11, 2013

If they're in a position to issue a *purchase order*, I wouldn't dream of asking for a partial advance, but it's a different story with private individuals "off the street" who appear to have no history working with translators.

Teresa Borges wrote:
I did it only once, but it was more to "take the temperature" of the client than to really request an advance payment and like Christine I don't take on large jobs from new clients as a rule.

I like the phrase "take the temperature." In my case I've asked for a 25% to 50% deposit about three times with new private individuals. They obliged willingly and paid the balance (via PayPal) immediately on receipt of the translation. In each case, I think they were eager to show they could be trusted.

Last year I took on a large job (40 pages) from an independent translator (not a ProZ member) who doesn't work into English in the particular field in question. Since she was a translator, I didn't ask for a deposit and was delighted when she made her payment within minutes after I delivered.

But I haven't always been that lucky. Twice I've taken on jobs without asking for a deposit (in each case, an academic hoping to get published in English) when the client canceled after I'd done quite a bit of work. I can't help but wonder: would they have been less casual about canceling if I had asked for a deposit in advance?

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:39
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
for private clients Oct 12, 2013

yes, I agree...although I probably wouldn't take a very large project from a private client I'd never worked with before.
I did get an advance for a very large editing project from a new client (software manual). They actually offered it because they knew it was a large project.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Once or twice Oct 12, 2013

On very few occasions.

I agree with another post here that there is no need to ask for an advance if the customer issues you a PO, which is in itself a promise to pay.

A couple of years back, I did ask for advance payment of 1/2 of a big project (i.e. 7-figure sum, Japanese yen, that is).
This was a new client and I had absolutely no qualms about doing this. This was because my request wa
... See more
On very few occasions.

I agree with another post here that there is no need to ask for an advance if the customer issues you a PO, which is in itself a promise to pay.

A couple of years back, I did ask for advance payment of 1/2 of a big project (i.e. 7-figure sum, Japanese yen, that is).
This was a new client and I had absolutely no qualms about doing this. This was because my request was 100% in line with the payment conditions the client imposed on its its own customers -- they were an online printing company and they insisted on 100% payment up front before accepting and printing an order. No exceptions whatsoever! Of course, they didn't (and couldn't) refuse.

Maybe we could all benefit by adopting this payment schedule across the board and making it the standard for our profession.

Food for thought
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:39
English
+ ...
Depends. Oct 12, 2013

Marius Reika wrote:

Big project, new client, no record of payment practices: surely I do.

For instance, if it's a book, I request partial payment (a third or a half) up front, the rest to be paid later, usually by the time I return the completed work.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you request payment in advance from new clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »