Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you could have one of these “superpowers of translation,” which would be most useful to you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Super Speed Sep 28, 2013

Super speed typing. I have no problem translating fast, but I am one of the world's worst typists... big hands for my size and slow, clumsy fingers. My production is high, but if I were a better typist it could be so much higher.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:27
English to German
+ ...
Telepathy Sep 28, 2013

for texts when you try to figure out what the author is trying to say. Especially applies to source texts not wirtten by native speakers.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - Precognition Sep 28, 2013

I think I would prefer to see the future, that way I don't lose time bidding for projects that I know I won't get or I can hold out for a project with better rates. Not to mention that I would be able to see the end translation before I even started working, so I could just copy it ^_^

I have to say, I really liked this poll.

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you, Annamaria :) Sep 28, 2013

Annamaria Amik wrote:

Carmen Grabs wrote:
You are working from the comfort of your home ... Can someone please explain?

Precisely because I work from the comfort of my home Which means I'm disturbed in a way (in hundreds of ways, actually) I wouldn't be had I worked from elsewhere

Now I understand what this means.

[Edited at 2013-09-28 18:07 GMT]

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:27
Telepathy Sep 28, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

Telepathy - so that I could instinctively understand the context of those Excel word lists and computer strings - and at the same time know just how much the agency would be prepared to pay!

Steve K.

I have yearned for the day when my thoughts could simply be transferred into the translation file I am working on.

This sort of telepathy would obviously require concentration on the task at hand.

I like Steve's take on what advantages telepathic ability would bring.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Telepathy Sep 28, 2013

So that I could beam reminders out to clients to remember to factor in translation time when planning or creating their documents so that they don't need to classify every job as "urgent", or about my working conditions or preferences (workable formats, no undefined acronyms, no fiddly formatting or inserted images or graphics). Etc.

[Edited at 2013-09-28 19:20 GMT]

Rodrigo Gaion
Rodrigo Gaion  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
English to Portuguese
Totally agree Sep 29, 2013

Triston Goodwin wrote:

I think I would prefer to see the future, that way I don't lose time bidding for projects that I know I won't get or I can hold out for a project with better rates. Not to mention that I would be able to see the end translation before I even started working, so I could just copy it ^_^

I have to say, I really liked this poll.

I had voted on super speed, but in fact, knowing the final result before start translating would definitely be the most perfect power ever!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:27
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Skimmed milk Sep 29, 2013

Steve Kerry wrote:

and at the same time know just how much the agency would be prepared to pay!

Steve K.

And see how much they are skimming off the top from your hard efforts. Grrrr.....

Julian H.

Serdar Usta
Serdar Usta  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:27
Member (2010)
English to Turkish
+ ...
flight Sep 29, 2013

Since I already have some telepathy, I wouldn't mind having having "flight" feature which would sometimes come handy to fly away from the problems.

Simon Chiassai
Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Super-persuasion or something along these lines Sep 29, 2013

Just imagine: "No, you shall not try to negotiate my rate." or "You shall allocate me this project without condition." or even "You shall call the end-client and tell them to rework their text because it is full of cr@p."

Now that would be awesome.

Otherwise, flight, or teleportation, just to barge in the client's office and scare them, or get home instantly once you realize you forgot to deliver that urgent project that was du
... See more
Just imagine: "No, you shall not try to negotiate my rate." or "You shall allocate me this project without condition." or even "You shall call the end-client and tell them to rework their text because it is full of cr@p."

Now that would be awesome.

Otherwise, flight, or teleportation, just to barge in the client's office and scare them, or get home instantly once you realize you forgot to deliver that urgent project that was due yesterday.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other: endless energy, super concentration Sep 29, 2013

My biggest issues are getting tired and not being able to concentrate 100%.

If I translate during the day when my mind is fresh, I'm twice as fast as I am in the evening. Any faster, and I don't think I'd do justice to the text.

I don't have a family to blame for interrupting me. My mind wanders from time to time. I'd like to be able to work without those side trips. The Internet is too handy. It doesn't take much for me to start doing unnecessary research on a word or
... See more
My biggest issues are getting tired and not being able to concentrate 100%.

If I translate during the day when my mind is fresh, I'm twice as fast as I am in the evening. Any faster, and I don't think I'd do justice to the text.

I don't have a family to blame for interrupting me. My mind wanders from time to time. I'd like to be able to work without those side trips. The Internet is too handy. It doesn't take much for me to start doing unnecessary research on a word or concept or person that comes up in the translation.
Collapse

Simon Chiassai
Simon Chiassai  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Doesn't it happen to everybody? Sep 30, 2013

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

It doesn't take much for me to start doing unnecessary research on a word or concept or person that comes up in the translation.

One moment you're working on this contract, and the next you're reading a captivating article about the production of graphite in Mexico.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:27
German to English
I know that feeling! Oct 17, 2013

Simon Chiassai wrote:

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

It doesn't take much for me to start doing unnecessary research on a word or concept or person that comes up in the translation.

One moment you're working on this contract, and the next you're reading a captivating article about the production of graphite in Mexico.

I once spent half a day enraptured by the concept of pipeline pigging... funnily enough, I got a job on pipeline valves the next week!

Steve K.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could have one of these “superpowers of translation,” which would be most useful to you?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »