Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2003

Hello,

I have an annoying Word problem and have spent too much time trying to solve it!

I have inserted a new TOC in a Word document. It\'s meant to display the contents at header level 1 only. The title \"Table of Contents\" is not defined as header level 1, but is still displayed as the first item in the table of contents.

Obviously I don\'t want the first item in the table of contents to be the table of contents! Can anyone tell
... See more
Hello,

I have an annoying Word problem and have spent too much time trying to solve it!

I have inserted a new TOC in a Word document. It\'s meant to display the contents at header level 1 only. The title \"Table of Contents\" is not defined as header level 1, but is still displayed as the first item in the table of contents.

Obviously I don\'t want the first item in the table of contents to be the table of contents! Can anyone tell me how to prevent this? Word help doesn\'t really help.

Thanks in advance,

Joanne

PS. I\'ve just managed to correct it with a workaround - by changing the text style again. However, this doesn\'t exactly match the original document. If anyone can tell me the correct way to do this for the future, I\'d be most grateful!

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-27 11:46]
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
reformat Jan 27, 2003

You have to define the item \"Table of contents\" something else rather than \"Heading 1\". The TOC includes - by default - all paragraphs with style Heading 1, 2 and 3. (You can change this setting to include more Heading levels or other styles, such as Subheadings, etc.)

You have to change the style of the \"Table of contents\" title - something neutral, even \"Normal\" is OK.

Now, you can manually change the style of the the title \"Table of contents\" to look like what y
... See more
You have to define the item \"Table of contents\" something else rather than \"Heading 1\". The TOC includes - by default - all paragraphs with style Heading 1, 2 and 3. (You can change this setting to include more Heading levels or other styles, such as Subheadings, etc.)

You have to change the style of the \"Table of contents\" title - something neutral, even \"Normal\" is OK.

Now, you can manually change the style of the the title \"Table of contents\" to look like what you have in your original document. Manually, I mean changing the font, paragraph spacing, etc., but still leaving the paragraph style unchanged.

I hope I could help.
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Jan 27, 2003

Thanks very much, Csaba. It works perfectly.

Thanks again,

Joanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Table of contents in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »