Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Which languages don't have a gender system?
Thread poster: Sara Senft
Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
German to English
+ ...
Feminine in English Oct 5, 2009

It isn't simply an informal expression, particularly for ships. When a ship is launched by the Queen she says something like "God bless her and all those who sail in her."

It has the effect of attaching a certain personality to an object, but it isn't always consistent. On last night's Top Gear, Richard Hammond referred to a specific car he had driven as "him"!

Melzie
Melzie
Local time: 04:05
French to English
+ ...
@ Henry and all other interested parties Oct 5, 2009

Here is a very interesting presentation for you to enjoy.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/15632865/The-Noun

[Edited at 2009-10-05 08:27 GMT]

Valérie Catanzaro
Valérie Catanzaro  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Japanese Oct 5, 2009

Japanese doesn't have a gender system neither.

[Modifié le 2009-10-05 08:29 GMT]

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Armenian Oct 5, 2009

Armenian too is completely unisex, not even masculine and feminine pronouns.

Mykhailo Voloshko
Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
localisation Oct 5, 2009

I hope software developers will read this topic and take into account that many target languages do have gender system, so provision should be made for "male" and "female" strings.

e.g. ENG-RUS localisation:

NAME sent you a message.
(SHE) отправила вам сообщение
(HE) отправил вам сообщение

Sorry for offtop...
See more
I hope software developers will read this topic and take into account that many target languages do have gender system, so provision should be made for "male" and "female" strings.

e.g. ENG-RUS localisation:

NAME sent you a message.
(SHE) отправила вам сообщение
(HE) отправил вам сообщение

Sorry for offtop
Collapse

Richardson Lisa
Richardson Lisa  Identity Verified
France
French to English
implied gender Oct 5, 2009

I researched quite a lot on gender representations and language for my MA in Art History and I think that although English might not have a formal gender system it is interesting to think about the implied one. I did a little test on myself to see if I had to put a gender to a word which would I chose - and it was pretty easy to decide. This implies that we use words with a notion of gender subconsciously in mind, and can thus make our speech masculinised or feminised and attribute gender to peo... See more
I researched quite a lot on gender representations and language for my MA in Art History and I think that although English might not have a formal gender system it is interesting to think about the implied one. I did a little test on myself to see if I had to put a gender to a word which would I chose - and it was pretty easy to decide. This implies that we use words with a notion of gender subconsciously in mind, and can thus make our speech masculinised or feminised and attribute gender to people and things through our words. Fascinating stuff ,no?Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes Oct 5, 2009

Richardson Lisa wrote:

I researched quite a lot on gender representations and language for my MA in Art History and I think that although English might not have a formal gender system it is interesting to think about the implied one. I did a little test on myself to see if I had to put a gender to a word which would I chose - and it was pretty easy to decide. This implies that we use words with a notion of gender subconsciously in mind, and can thus make our speech masculinised or feminised and attribute gender to people and things through our words. Fascinating stuff ,no?

In a language, a lack of functionality in one aspect is always made up for with the easy functionality in some other aspects. Balancing is always present.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Ships Oct 5, 2009

Kevin Harper wrote:

It isn't simply an informal expression, particularly for ships. When a ship is launched by the Queen she says something like "God bless her and all those who sail in her."

It has the effect of attaching a certain personality to an object, but it isn't always consistent. On last night's Top Gear, Richard Hammond referred to a specific car he had driven as "him"!

OK, that's just for ships and some other minor exceptions.

What about having a gender for each noun that exists?

All inanimate entities in English are simplified to "it" pronoun ( neuter)..While each inanimate entity in Serbian/French has a specified gender, sometimes totally illogical one, especially in French.

[Edited at 2009-10-05 22:32 GMT]

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Third person pronoun is gender neutral Oct 5, 2009

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Languages of the Ural-Altaic family, or Uralic and Altaic families according to another classification, have no gender system. My native language Turkish is among them (Altaic, according to the latter classification.)

You can find more details in this Wikipedia article.

[Edited at 2009-10-05 03:17 GMT]

There is even only one third person singular pronoun ('o' in the uniflected, subject form) corresponding to English 'he', 'she' and 'it'.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
German- gender and verbs Oct 5, 2009

inkweaver wrote:

In German, verbs don't tell you anything about gender. It is only the personal pronoun which could give you an indication of that, but not in the plural form. To pick up your example, "They brought us a cake" could be translated as "Sie brachten uns einen Kuchen". This does not tell you anything about the gender of the persons referred to by "they" at all - "they" could be all men, all women or both men and women.

Thanks for reporting this, it's been a long time since I studied and used German. I definitely know it has a gender system, there is a set gender for each noun ( die, der, das). I made a confusion with verbal suffixes obviously and will edit my posting. I know nouns and pronouns are changed in terms of gender.. do you have any examples of verbal-gender changes in German ( disregard the example I have given) ?

[Edited at 2009-10-05 10:30 GMT]

Elizabeth Rudin
Elizabeth Rudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Member (2005)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Hungarian Oct 5, 2009

Hungarian pronouns are not gender-specific, either.

This can be quite frustrating, particularly when I translate Hungarian hospital discharge summaries/medical reports of patients participating in clinical studies. Names and all personal data are deleted for confidentiality, and I often translate a dozen pages of medical documentation without knowing whether the patient is male or female. I rejoice (sad, I know!) when I see some gender-specific examinations in the physical examinati
... See more
Hungarian pronouns are not gender-specific, either.

This can be quite frustrating, particularly when I translate Hungarian hospital discharge summaries/medical reports of patients participating in clinical studies. Names and all personal data are deleted for confidentiality, and I often translate a dozen pages of medical documentation without knowing whether the patient is male or female. I rejoice (sad, I know!) when I see some gender-specific examinations in the physical examination section, or diagnoses such as prostate-related or gynaecological problems, because the sex of the patient becomes clear, and it is such a relief to be able to use the relevant English pronouns instead of trying to circumvent the problem without too may repetitions of "the patient...":))
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
The following list is useful Oct 5, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun_class#Languages_without_noun_classes_or_grammatical_genders

Languages without noun classes or grammatical genders
• Afrikaans
• Altaic languages
• Armenian
• Azeri
• Basque
• Bengali
• Bislama
• Bugis
• Burmese
... See more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun_class#Languages_without_noun_classes_or_grammatical_genders

Languages without noun classes or grammatical genders
• Afrikaans
• Altaic languages
• Armenian
• Azeri
• Basque
• Bengali
• Bislama
• Bugis
• Burmese
• Cebuano
• Central Yup'ik
• Chinese
• Chol
• English (a trace of the masculine/feminine/neuter distinction of Old English in the personal pronouns "he", "she", "it" and some related pronouns)
• Esperanto (includes a system of "natural" gendered personal pronouns similar to English, but without other morphological impacts)
• Estonian
• Filipino
• Finnish
• Georgian
• Guaraní
• Hawaiian
• Hungarian
• Hurrian
• Ido
• Ilocano
• Indonesian
• Interlingua
• Japanese
• Kannada
• Khmer
• Korean
• Lao
• Lojban
• Malagasy
• Malay
• Malayalam
• Makasar
• Mandar
• Mande languages
• Papiamentu
• Persian
• Nahuatl
• Pirahã
• Quechua
• Quenya
• Sindarin
• Sinhala
• Sami languages
• Tamil
• Telugu
• Tetum
• Thai
• Tlingit
• Tok Pisin
• Toki Pona
• Tulu
• Turkish
• Tzotzil
• Tzeltal
• Urartian
• Vietnamese
• Yoruba
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Sinhala Oct 5, 2009

With reference to the above list, from the little I know about Sinhala/Sinhalese, different forms of numerals are used depending on whether we are counting people, animals or things, so this language can be said to have retained the vestige of a noun class system, even if it is not gender based.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:05
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
How is this phenomenon explained? Oct 5, 2009

It's still more interesting to know the reason why at all gender distinction exists in languages, and why some languages can get along with it, while others cannot. As a child I was told that it's the result of personalizing all phenomena and objects, that is, in very old times men believed that all objects around us have spirits and are living beings -- I forgot the name of this phenomenon; it should be something related to pantheism. While this seems to be a logical explanation, I still have a... See more
It's still more interesting to know the reason why at all gender distinction exists in languages, and why some languages can get along with it, while others cannot. As a child I was told that it's the result of personalizing all phenomena and objects, that is, in very old times men believed that all objects around us have spirits and are living beings -- I forgot the name of this phenomenon; it should be something related to pantheism. While this seems to be a logical explanation, I still have a feeling that there must be some other explanation. Otherwise, why should it have been persisted this long.Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Associating a word with a gender Oct 5, 2009

What I meant is that English speakers can easily associate certain words with certain genders. One example is that people tend to associate the color pink with girls and women. The gender of the words "color" or "pink" isn't formally indicated, but people can make the connection themselves.

Henry Hinds wrote:

You say you notice more and more that people often subconsciously attach a gender to an English word. Could you perhaps explain or provide some examples? That sounds interesting, it is something I haven't noticed.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which languages don't have a gender system?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »