Thread poster: savaria (X)
savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 22:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 20, 2008

Once I opened a forum the "life" of which has not proved to be long-lasting.
In that particular forum I popped up the question -even if this is really not in favour of the site administration- if it was possible even to consider the opportunity of introducing a system by which it would be possible to purchase -at least a partial- membership only with KudoZ.

To earn KudoZ,you need to demonstrate your knowledge and expertise in several fields of science,so those could also
... See more
In that particular forum I popped up the question -even if this is really not in favour of the site administration- if it was possible even to consider the opportunity of introducing a system by which it would be possible to purchase -at least a partial- membership only with KudoZ.

To earn KudoZ,you need to demonstrate your knowledge and expertise in several fields of science,so those could also benefit from it who are an active members of the site,but still lack the money for paying the membership -for whatever reasons,for example because their language pair is so rare that there is no outsorcerer to work for(like in a language pair such as Malaysian-Indonesian,or Japanese-Turkish,or Vietnamese-Hungarian).

I would make a huge advertisement to proz.com myself among my non-virtualised translator colleagues (those who do not have internet connection) if this could be realised,and many Albanian,Bulgarian,Iraqi,Iranian,etc. friends and colleagues of mine would register at Proz.com and might even join as a member if there would be any opportunity to solve this problem.

I wonder what my colleagues' opinion is about this question.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:51
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Browniz yes, KudoZ no Jun 22, 2008

This kind of offer exist for browniz.

There are no plans to exchange KudoZ for membership or other services.

Regards,
Enrique

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:51
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
You have received an answer already Jun 22, 2008

Gábor Széles wrote:

Dear Gábor,

you posted the same identical proposal in http://www.proz.com/topic/52108
the discussion lasted for 3 pages and you got your answer there.

bye
Gianfranco

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
please regard yourself as having been told off Jun 22, 2008

gianfranco wrote:

Dear Gábor,

you posted the same identical proposal in http://www.proz.com/topic/52108
the discussion lasted for 3 pages and you got your answer there.

bye
Gianfranco

So there! The school prefects have told you to behave!
So please fall into line!

[Edited at 2008-06-22 19:02]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Relationship between KudoZ and BrowniZ Jun 22, 2008

Gábor,
In case you don't know, when somebody's answer is accepted for a KudoZ question, in addition to the KudoZ points (1-4), if the asker did not enter the term into the Glossary, the answerer can enter it, and thus earn 10 BrowniZ points.

As it was already pointed out in the previous thread, there are many ways to earn BrowniZ. (See the FAQ about that.)

The maximum amount of BrowniZ you can use for discount is 4000, and that only gives you a $10.00 discount, w
... See more
Gábor,
In case you don't know, when somebody's answer is accepted for a KudoZ question, in addition to the KudoZ points (1-4), if the asker did not enter the term into the Glossary, the answerer can enter it, and thus earn 10 BrowniZ points.

As it was already pointed out in the previous thread, there are many ways to earn BrowniZ. (See the FAQ about that.)

The maximum amount of BrowniZ you can use for discount is 4000, and that only gives you a $10.00 discount, which is not much anyway. People can donate BrowniZ to each other (with certain limitations).

As you probably know, there are different levels of memberships. There is Jobs, and Community memberships, the first for those that are more interested in getting full access to the Jobs area of the site, and the other is more for the community aspects (forums, KudoZ, etc.) You can read about these in detail on the Membership info page.

There had been discussions (and I am sure there always will be) about the price, whether it is too expensive, too cheap, etc. It is hard to have a consensus as people come from different countries with different standards of living, different income and expenses. Some people buy membership because they get a lot of jobs here. Some people don't get jobs here, but buy membership because they value the help they get through KudoZ and the Forums. Some people stay non-paying members and quite happy that way, too. So, it is all different for everybody.

One thing to note is that professional associations tend to have annual membership fees, and not too cheap either, which IMHO is a good way to ensure that members are serious about their profession enough to pay for the membership. On the other hand, many of these associations don't do much for their members in practical terms, so in my experience, paying for ProZ is worth the price. I became a member early on when very little of my work came from the site, so it looked like I may just throw the money away - it turned out to be a good investment.

ProZ does have campaigns time to time, and I remember certain periods when there were discounted membership fees available for prospective members from certain countries where income levels were lower than the US. Still, I don't think the discounts were very substantial, you still need to put of most of the dough.

If you need BrowniZ, I am happy to donate you 4000 (I think this is the maximum one can donate), just let me know.
Collapse

Christian Schneider
Christian Schneider  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
I could need some BrowniZ Sep 1, 2008

Hi,

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask,

I'd like to become a full member and I could use 3500 Browniz for the membership discount.
So if anyone has BrowniZ to spare I'd be more than grateful.

Thank you in advance,

Christian Schneider

Christian Schneider
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Still looking Sep 30, 2008

Need 3600

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Christian Oct 2, 2008

I have just sent you some - please accept

Natalia

Christian Schneider
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you so much, Natalie Oct 3, 2008

You made this day a happy day for me.

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paying for partial membership with Kudoz

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »