Kudoz - Just a Q&A???
Thread poster: Denyce Seow
Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, Denyce! Dec 30, 2003

Let's wait and see Yongmei's plan, then have a private discussion...

[quote]denyce wrote:

Yes, yes, how about a POWWOW??? Yoooooooohoooooooooo!!! Wow, Yongmei, what charm you have!!

Zhoudan, you're in Hangzhou, right??? That's easy for me. Hehehe... I can stroooooooll there!

Zhoudan wrote:

I would like to meet you both!

Zhoudan

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 00:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
me too Dec 30, 2003

[quote]denyce wrote:

Yes, yes, how about a POWWOW??? Yoooooooohoooooooooo!!! Wow, Yongmei, what charm you have!!

Zhoudan, you're in Hangzhou, right??? That's easy for me. Hehehe... I can stroooooooll there!

Zhoudan wrote:

Zhoudan

I am also going back to China next year. I would love to meet you guys. Yes, a POWWOW would be great in one of the teahouses in Hanzhou.

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
RE: dictionary reference and grammar related questions Dec 30, 2003

lai'an wrote:

1 I find I have been posting a lot of dictionary answers recently. But I wonder why I should. I think if I can use these dictionaries,others can too. I'm thinking of Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary and the Longman Active Study English-Chinese Dictionary.What is going on here? Don't people trust the dictionaries? Is this some kind of xenophobia? As a Chinese Second Language person,I certainly make a lot of use of Chinese dictionaries such as 现代汉语词典,新华字典,and 外研社"汉英词典".Kudoz is not a substitute for dictionaries is it?

4 Next, is KudoZ really the place for grammar questions from hobby language learners? Shouldn't they be buying a grammar textbook, a dictionary, getting a tutor, going to classes? Some of the sentences we are being called on to translate are simply artificial constructed textbook sentences. Where is the benefit in that?

Well, I think most of the translators have refered to dictionary before they post the questions. My experience is for general texts dictionary is not very helpful as very often I understand every word, but when they are put together, I am lost. However, when it comes to technical, financial, legal or any specialized field, dictionary is very helpful. But as Denyce said, dictionary can be very expensive and eat a large chunk of your translation income. So here comes the Kudoz. As for the grammar questions, I agree they should not appear in Kudoz, instead should be posted in this Forum. They shouldn't be entered into the glossary at all!

Zhoudan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Great! Dec 31, 2003

I know the best teahouse in the city!

Zhou Dan
[quote]Tingting Huang wrote:

denyce wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

Zhoudan

I am also going back to China next year. I would love to meet you guys. Yes, a POWWOW would be great in one of the teahouses in Hanzhou.

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Kudoz - Grammar Dec 31, 2003

Gosh, I am still confused about this part. Some says grammar should be posted on forum and I've read a peer's comment which says the management has given approval for grammar questions to be posted on Kudoz.

One thing for sure is.... grammar questions should NOT be entered into glossary!! Especially if it is something like "A=B and not C" (sorry, just an example) ....

Tingting Huang wrote:
As for the grammar questions, I agree they should not appear in Kudoz, instead should be posted in this Forum. They shouldn't be entered into the glossary at all!

Jianming Sun
Jianming Sun
English to Chinese
+ ...
I agree with you. Jan 1, 2004

denyce wrote:

Gosh, I am still confused about this part. Some says grammar should be posted on forum and I've read a peer's comment which says the management has given approval for grammar questions to be posted on Kudoz.

One thing for sure is.... grammar questions should NOT be entered into glossary!! Especially if it is something like "A=B and not C" (sorry, just an example) ....

Tingting Huang wrote:
As for the grammar questions, I agree they should not appear in Kudoz, instead should be posted in this Forum. They shouldn't be entered into the glossary at all!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Discussion is welcome Jan 1, 2004

Returning to the original post, discussion and clarification are most certainly welcome, as long as they are within the confines of the KudoZ structure. If you need more info from the asker, ask for it. If you disagree with another colleague's suggested translation, use the peer comment function to say so. Discussion of this sort is an essential part of the value of KudoZ collaboration.

Just be sure to stay within the structure, (one should not normally, for example, write a separat
... See more
Returning to the original post, discussion and clarification are most certainly welcome, as long as they are within the confines of the KudoZ structure. If you need more info from the asker, ask for it. If you disagree with another colleague's suggested translation, use the peer comment function to say so. Discussion of this sort is an essential part of the value of KudoZ collaboration.

Just be sure to stay within the structure, (one should not normally, for example, write a separate email making side commentary on grading/glossary decisions, etc.)

As for grammar questions, there is some gray area. To be sure, some grammar questions are best discussed here in the Chinese forum. Others can be made to fit the KudoZ format--and that is ok. Use your judgment, be receptive to feedback from colleagues and direction from moderators, and of course, do not make entries in the glossary for grammar questions.

I have not checked the Chinese forums for a while. Nice to see a positive and enthusiastic group of 'patrons'!
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Henry's clarification and Powwow Meeting Jan 2, 2004

Hello, Henry and Everyone!

Happy New Year! May the new year, the Year of Monkey, be another wonderful year to all of you and your families!

I would like to thank Henry for his input and clarification. We will follow Henry抯 instruction in dealing with the grammar questions when they are posted in the KudoZ area again. If we come cross more issues, we might have to request for Henry's attention again. As we all can see, this is indeed a grey area and all the translators
... See more
Hello, Henry and Everyone!

Happy New Year! May the new year, the Year of Monkey, be another wonderful year to all of you and your families!

I would like to thank Henry for his input and clarification. We will follow Henry抯 instruction in dealing with the grammar questions when they are posted in the KudoZ area again. If we come cross more issues, we might have to request for Henry's attention again. As we all can see, this is indeed a grey area and all the translators here want to do it right for ProZ.com.

The Powwow meeting in Hangzhou is an excellent idea! So far I see three beautiful ladies - Denyce, Zhoudan and Tingting - all want to meet Yongmei, mmmmm, now I wish I could be there, too. Be sure to take a picture when you all meet in a Chinese Tea House. I would love to see all you ladies sitting by the table while Yongmei serving tea to everyone with a white towel over his shoulder, sort of the Xiao'er's look. We can post it here as the first Powwow meeting of the Chinese translators. If you give the notice more time ahead, I am sure there will be more translators in China to be able to join you. Have a great time and keep me posted!

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-01-02 16:52]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 17:18
Chinese to English
Sinification/Sinicisation 1: 翻译 - 是移动还是加工? Jan 8, 2004

[quote]Yongmei Liu wrote:

Any examples?

See
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/606714
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/606414

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Sinification 2: 令人吃惊的读法 Jan 8, 2004

Any examples?

See
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/606414
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/593425

[Edited at 2004-01-08 17:30]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Sinification 3: 胆小 Jan 8, 2004

Any examples?

http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=591115&keyword=castrate
http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=585744&keyword=testicles

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Sinification 4: 贬义词 Jan 8, 2004

Any examples?

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/605979
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/606766

HymnLau
HymnLau
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
May I meet my Queen? Jan 8, 2004

I can strooooooooooll there too, even I am in Guangzhou...

[quote]denyce wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

Zhoudan

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
May I meet my Queen?! Jan 8, 2004

What?!

Zhoudan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome to Hangzhou, Hym! Jan 9, 2004

[quote]HymnLau wrote:

I can strooooooooooll there too, even I am in Guangzhou...

quote]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz - Just a Q&A???

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »