ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 31, 2022

Dear all,
I've been working on a rather long document without any problems for days. Yesterday when I wanted to open the preview of the translated document I got an error message.
I did not change anything at all in the project configuration - neither the name of the files nor their location - and before I could always open the preview without any problems.
To solve this problem, I renamed the source document and started a new project. Everything was ok and I could also open t
... See more
Dear all,
I've been working on a rather long document without any problems for days. Yesterday when I wanted to open the preview of the translated document I got an error message.
I did not change anything at all in the project configuration - neither the name of the files nor their location - and before I could always open the preview without any problems.
To solve this problem, I renamed the source document and started a new project. Everything was ok and I could also open the preview, but now again it suddenly doesn't work anymore. I have checked the tags and for some segments I get the message "Inconsistent tags". I assume that this is the problem. But how do I proceed now?
Thank you very much for your help and happy new year!
Irene
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error message Dec 31, 2022

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-31 um 12.24.01

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
QA for tags Jan 1, 2023

Hello Irene,

Happy new year to you too!

Turn on visibility of all tags and run both QA checks for tags again.

Deselect this one:

Action > Tags > Hide segment boundary tags = Hide starting and ending tags for the current segment.

If this doesn’t help, consider creating a ticket.

Hans

[Edited at 2023-01-01 08:00 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 1, 2023

Thank you, Hans!
I'll try it tomorrow when I'm at the office.

By two QA checks for tags, you mean "Tags check" and "All tags spaces check"?
The source documents contains quite a lot of index entries: Do you think this problem could somehow be connected to these tags?

Another problem:
I also noted that it takes very long to load segments when opening a project. Anything I can do here?
Thanks again for all your help and a very happy new year to yo
... See more
Thank you, Hans!
I'll try it tomorrow when I'm at the office.

By two QA checks for tags, you mean "Tags check" and "All tags spaces check"?
The source documents contains quite a lot of index entries: Do you think this problem could somehow be connected to these tags?

Another problem:
I also noted that it takes very long to load segments when opening a project. Anything I can do here?
Thanks again for all your help and a very happy new year to you, too!
Irene
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
loading Jan 1, 2023

ibz wrote:

Another problem:

I don't know if this may help, but I have noticed that when a Word file takes a long time to load into CafeTran, this is because there are "glitches" in the Word file itself. When this happens, a quick "clean up" of the Word file can move things along.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Hans Jan 2, 2023

Unfortunately this didn't work ...

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Jan 2, 2023

Thank you! I'll give it a try

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Complex formatting Jan 2, 2023

Hello Irene,

I had a look at your document and I couldn't create a preview either, nor could I export the (partially translated) target document.

This is what I did:

• I created a new memory, with save tags deselected.
  • I imported the project segments to that new memory.
  • I removed all target segments.
  • I used the new memory to insert all exact matches.

Then I selected this option:
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 13.01.42

After this, I restored all fuzzy matches.

So what does this mean?

• If you are translating really big documents, be very careful with mixing numbered tags with letter tags (the ones that you can add yourself, to add bold, italics etc.). Personally, I would avoid combining them.
  • Consider to ignore character formatting during the translation stage and add character formatting later in the exported document (yep, I know that this is extra work).
  • If you choose to do so, let CafeTran Espresso add all formatting tags at the end of the segments.

BTW: I don't think that the XE index entries are the culprit here.

As a workaround you could consider to import the document in Trados or the likes and translate the XLIFF.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jan 2, 2023

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for your great help!
Yes, I think that I might have (inadvertently) mixed formatting tags with other tags. I'll keep away from this in the future...

As a work-around, I removed all XE index entries from the source documents (just to be on the safe side and as suggested by Tom) and restarted a new project according to your instruction. Right now, everything works just fine.

Just to say it again: I am very grateful to all of you her
... See more
Hi Hans,

Many thanks for your great help!
Yes, I think that I might have (inadvertently) mixed formatting tags with other tags. I'll keep away from this in the future...

As a work-around, I removed all XE index entries from the source documents (just to be on the safe side and as suggested by Tom) and restarted a new project according to your instruction. Right now, everything works just fine.

Just to say it again: I am very grateful to all of you here for your support!

Happy New Year and regards,
Irene
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And ... Jan 2, 2023

... thanks to you, Tom, as well

Tom in London

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Tags Jan 2, 2023

ibz wrote:

On second thought, I don't think that these user-added tags, like:

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 17.52.00

are the culprit either.

BTW: It is easier to add a Unicode ¹ character here*).

The culprit are the missing red tags.

For documents like these, I suggest:

• Select Automatic transfer of remaining tags (let CafeTran Espresso handle the numbered red tags).
  • Use "special" Unicode characters (½, ¹, ™ etc.) as much as possible, where needed.
  • Use the context menu to add character formatting:

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 18.12.10

=======================
*)A handy tool to insert Unicode characters is PopChar from Ergonis (available for Windows and macOS):
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 18.15.50

There are also macros for both operating systems, to insert special characters.

For macOS: https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/358676-quick_insertion_of_symbols.html

For Windows:
Install AutoHotkey. This thread, navigate to the posting "If the Character Map is difficult to navigate, create your own".

[Edited at 2023-01-02 17:48 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Adapted version for Windows Jan 3, 2023

Download the script here.

Probably better to place the 0 after the 9, to match the keyboard layout.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 10.38.00

[Edited at 2023-01-04 04:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preview problem - again

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »