Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Frankreich
Local time: 18:09
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
Feb 4, 2002

Hi!

I\'m currently writing my report for the final section of my business administration diploma and have chosen the fascinating topic \"The Opportunites and Risks of Introducing a Quality Management System in a Small Translation Company\".

I just wondered if anyone out there has any experience of translation companies working with quality management systems (specifically, but not limited to, DIN 2345 and TQM).
... See more
Hi!

I\'m currently writing my report for the final section of my business administration diploma and have chosen the fascinating topic \"The Opportunites and Risks of Introducing a Quality Management System in a Small Translation Company\".

I just wondered if anyone out there has any experience of translation companies working with quality management systems (specifically, but not limited to, DIN 2345 and TQM).

I would be particulary interested to hear any comments on the effect of quality management systems on customer and employee satisfaction, process optimization, corporate positioning and supplier integration.

Any input?

Thanks in advance

Alison

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-04 15:05 ]
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexiko
Local time: 10:09
Deutsch > Englisch
Some good reading Feb 4, 2002

Alison, I can\'t give you a reference to quality management systems in general, but if you can find a copy of the ATA Chronicle, April 2001, you might find find this article helpful.

Quality—An Ethical Duty

By Monique-Paule Tubb

Quality should be the number one concern of all translators, translation project managers, and company owners. The company may bear the final responsibility, but the translator plays a major role in the quality proces
... See more
Alison, I can\'t give you a reference to quality management systems in general, but if you can find a copy of the ATA Chronicle, April 2001, you might find find this article helpful.

Quality—An Ethical Duty

By Monique-Paule Tubb

Quality should be the number one concern of all translators, translation project managers, and company owners. The company may bear the final responsibility, but the translator plays a major role in the quality process and should feel that anything less than perfect is not good enough. The only way to provide a flawless product to clients is for all parties to feel that they are an essential part of the team.

Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 18:09
Deutsch > Englisch
My experience Feb 4, 2002

Hi Alison,

This may or may not help you but I\'m taking the time anyway to address two aspects of quality management in translation.

1. About a year a ago one of my (agency) customers started printing \"Zertifizert nach DIN 2345\" on his letterhead. I was interested about possible advantages of certification for myself as a freelance translator and asked him for some details. His summary was basically \"forget it\". He paid a lot of money just for filling out a que
... See more
Hi Alison,

This may or may not help you but I\'m taking the time anyway to address two aspects of quality management in translation.

1. About a year a ago one of my (agency) customers started printing \"Zertifizert nach DIN 2345\" on his letterhead. I was interested about possible advantages of certification for myself as a freelance translator and asked him for some details. His summary was basically \"forget it\". He paid a lot of money just for filling out a questionnaire and got his certification without anyone ever visiting him to check the validity of his answers. It didn\'t bring him a single new customer and when the bill came for renewal of his certification he took the note off his letterhead and forgot the whole thing.

2. As Kim has already said, the translator (i.e. we freelancers) should feel that anything less than perfect is not good enough. I personally prefer to work for a customer (be it an agency or end customer) who has some form of quality system. In fact I hate it when I know that my translations are simply passed on to the customer without someone \"in between\" checking them and providing feedback. Questions such as \"why did you translate X as Y?\" or \"what does the abbreviation Z mean?\" are not criticism but an attempt to achieve perfection or at least better-quality translations. Translator satisfaction is therefore in my opinion also an important factor when addressing quality management.

OK, I have rambled on for long enough. I can only hope that this helps you when writing your report and/or stimulates others to add their opinions.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-04 18:21 ]
Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentinien
Local time: 13:09
Englisch > Spanisch
Of course, that is value-added Feb 4, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-04 18:12, RKKerns wrote:

As Kim has already said, the translator (i.e. we freelancers) should feel that anything less than perfect is not good enough. I personally prefer to work for a customer (be it an agency or end customer) who has some form of quality system. In fact I hate it when I know that my translations are simply passed on to the customer without someone \"in between\" checking them and providing feedb... See more
Quote:

On 2002-02-04 18:12, RKKerns wrote:

As Kim has already said, the translator (i.e. we freelancers) should feel that anything less than perfect is not good enough. I personally prefer to work for a customer (be it an agency or end customer) who has some form of quality system. In fact I hate it when I know that my translations are simply passed on to the customer without someone \"in between\" checking them and providing feedback. Questions such as \"why did you translate X as Y?\" or \"what does the abbreviation Z mean?\" are not criticism but an attempt to achieve perfection or at least better-quality translations. Translator satisfaction is therefore in my opinion also an important factor when addressing quality management.

I completely agree. When I am working for an agency, even if the translation I deliver is as perfect as I can get it to be, I like to think the agency offers an additional safety net between me and the client; I don\'t think this is unreasonable, since agencies always add their own charges to what they pay to me, and I like to believe that that added cost for the client is also value that is added to the translation.

Quality control is not only a way to secure customer satisfaction, but also an indispensable defense against bad faith: I don\'t know if this will be helpful to you (and I apologize in advance if you\'ve already heard a story like this before a thousand times), but I can tell you some of my personal experience, about what happens when an agency has no quality control system in place, something that unfortunately seems to be less uncommon than it should be desired. Back when I was young and naive, I once did a translation for an agency, which got back to me claiming that the translation had been rejected by the client because of poor quality. Bewildered (and hurt in my amour-propre, needless to say), I wanted to know exactly what had been the problem, and what did the agency\'s proofreaders say? I found out then that: 1) there were no proofreaders, no quality-control, no double-checking on the part of the agency; 2) the agency had taken the client\'s claims at face value, without even asking what was wrong. What happened after all was that there had been bad faith on the part of the client, who assumed that, if they claimed to be unsatisfied with the translation, they would get it for free, and, as I learned later... they had assumed correctly! In short, the agency had put itself and me in a lose-lose situation, because of no quality control.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation companies and quality management systems

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »