Dr JM Chen, PhD
Dr JM Chen, PhD  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2009

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I’ve been reading the forum and found it very helpful and everybody so friendly.

Now, I have a few questions, I hope I can get some advice/suggestions here.

Firstly, I am looking at downloading Translation Office 3000 to my Mac. Because TO3000 is for Windows only, I’m wondering if I can use parallel (e.g
... See more
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I’ve been reading the forum and found it very helpful and everybody so friendly.

Now, I have a few questions, I hope I can get some advice/suggestions here.

Firstly, I am looking at downloading Translation Office 3000 to my Mac. Because TO3000 is for Windows only, I’m wondering if I can use parallel (e.g. http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/ ) to make TS3000 work on my Mac. Any ideas? Also, is there any software similar to/better than TO3000 which I can use on a Mac more easily?

Moreover, when use parallel on a Mac, does everything work exactly like on Windows, or it’s only like a proxy to Windows (therefore, some applications/software may not work the same way even using parallel?)

Finally, I read some foreign languages (e.g. Chinese) and tables (e.g. on Excel) may display differently on Mac/PC. Is it true?

Thank you in advance for your input.

JM Chen
Collapse

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:42
English to German
TS 3000 on Parallels - see no reason why it should not work Aug 19, 2009

The Windows OS that works on Mac/ Parallels is a standard installation. It's a normal Windows machine, there is no reason why TS 3000 would not work with it.

Alternative to TS 3000: The heart of our translation agency is TOM = Translator's office manager (http://www.jovo-soft.de/E_PI_Technical.php). I have not worked with TS 3000 so I don't have a comparison. We've chosen TOM bas
... See more
The Windows OS that works on Mac/ Parallels is a standard installation. It's a normal Windows machine, there is no reason why TS 3000 would not work with it.

Alternative to TS 3000: The heart of our translation agency is TOM = Translator's office manager (http://www.jovo-soft.de/E_PI_Technical.php). I have not worked with TS 3000 so I don't have a comparison. We've chosen TOM based on the fact that it does work with Macs too. It's super-stable and fairly simple to use.

Display of fonts / characters etc.: We are doing a lot of work into / from Chinese (also Korean, Japanese, Hindi and Thai) and we hardly experience any display issues when opening the files on Macs or Win computers. We did however experience problems when we imported / exported translation memories from Wordfast (Mac) to Trados and vice versa - but not only with Chinese characters. I have not seen any problems with tables displaying differently.

What I have seen is that sometimes, in heavily overloaded MS Word files, images are displayed in different places on Mac vs Win. But these are a nightmare on any machine.

Hope this helps?
Stefan
Collapse

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 07:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Parallels Aug 19, 2009

Just to make sure it is clear to you exactly how Parallels works - it's not a kind of Windows for Mac, it's a piece of software that simply allows you to install ANOTHER OS on your mac. Now, it's obviously mostly used to install Windows, no reason to install Linux on a Mac;). So you have to buy both - Parallels and Windows OS. It depends on what you need but I'd stick with WindowsXP.
I've had Windows running through Parallels on my Mac for a few month now and it works like a charm. You can
... See more
Just to make sure it is clear to you exactly how Parallels works - it's not a kind of Windows for Mac, it's a piece of software that simply allows you to install ANOTHER OS on your mac. Now, it's obviously mostly used to install Windows, no reason to install Linux on a Mac;). So you have to buy both - Parallels and Windows OS. It depends on what you need but I'd stick with WindowsXP.
I've had Windows running through Parallels on my Mac for a few month now and it works like a charm. You can basically decide whether you want your Windows running in a full screen mode or just in a window. The latter allows you to use both Mac OS and Windows at the same time. \
So yes, everything works exactly like on Windows, because it is running on Windows. It's basically like having two computers in one.

[Edited at 2009-08-19 22:38 GMT]
Collapse

Dr JM Chen, PhD
Dr JM Chen, PhD  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 25, 2009

Thanks guys. I'm now trying TO3000 on Windows XP using Parallels. Apart from not being able to install the Chinese language to Windows XP, everything else works fine. Thank you...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac/PC/Parallel for TS3000

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »