How to create a bilingual file
Thread poster: Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
Local time: 01:31
German to English
Nov 20, 2013

A client asked for a bilingual target file which looks just like the source text, but where the translation is somehow"hidden".

How does one go about creating this in Wordfast Pro?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
Finnish to French
WFC bilingual? Nov 20, 2013

"Bilingual" usually means both source and target are included, so "bilingual target file" doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe they mean a Word bilingual document (sometimes called "unclean") such as the one you get when translating with Wordfast Classic or Trados Workbench. Wordfast Pro can produce such documents: File > Save as > WFC bilingual. You need to use a relatively recent version of Wordfast Pro. WFC stands for Wordfast Classic.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This makes no sense Nov 21, 2013

KateKaminski wrote:

bilingual target file … translation is somehow"hidden".

This is nonsense. There are lots of bilingual file formats, but none features hidden translation. Ask more details from the client.

Kate Tomkins
Kate Tomkins
Local time: 01:31
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for confirming ... Nov 25, 2013

I did not know what they were talking about either. If I have to do another job for them I will ask what they mean - but in the end they accepted a simple target text translation in Word!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a bilingual file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »