Thread poster: Karel Kosman
Karel Kosman
Karel Kosman  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:36
Czech to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2013

a little trick I'm working on now, which I hope can prove useful, if not already discussed before. Sometimes I get Czech to English files, other times Czech to English (UK), or Czech (Czech Republic) to English (US) etc., and each time I'm forced to use TM that exactly matches those language combinations. But if you look at the TM files they are simple text, and easy to search and replace the language code. Just open the files in Notepad or whatever and look at them. Look how they're structured.... See more
a little trick I'm working on now, which I hope can prove useful, if not already discussed before. Sometimes I get Czech to English files, other times Czech to English (UK), or Czech (Czech Republic) to English (US) etc., and each time I'm forced to use TM that exactly matches those language combinations. But if you look at the TM files they are simple text, and easy to search and replace the language code. Just open the files in Notepad or whatever and look at them. Look how they're structured. If merging to TM files you need to add one after the other, and the numbers can never be the same, but that is pretty unlikely considering the length of the number (index number like in a database - I'm also a programmer), where the number (eg) :

%20121029~092756 %User ID,GO,GO goof %TU=00000000 %CS %Wordfast TM v.546/00 %EN-GB %----------- .
xx121029~093704 GO 0 CS &tA;Toto KH probíhá za účelem výzkumu nové &tB;očkovací látky s názvem „rLP2086“, která by mohla zabránit vzniku onemocnění vyvolaného meningokokem. EN-GB &tA;This purpose of this CT is to research the new &tB;rLP2086 vaccine, which could prevent meningococcus induced < illnesses.
20121029~093508 GO 0 CS INFORMOVANÝ SOUHLAS PRO RODÍČE EN-GB INFORMED CONSENT FOR PARENTS
20121030~143154 GO 0 CS Vůči znecitlivujícímu krému nebo náplasti u Vás může vzniknout alergická reakce. EN-GB You may develop an allergic reaction to the desensitising cream or the sticking/adhesive bandage.

My understanding is that the xx after
%-----------
marks the end of the file header, describing certain things, afterwards by the date (2012/10/29) attached to another number with a ~ . Even if two dates and numbers were the same I doubt the software would crash but simply use one of the instances. If you search and replace the language code within the file you could use, for example, define CS to match case, and before and after CS there is probably a tab (press View All Characters in Word to see what it is), so you would simply globally search and replace ^tCS^t with ^tCS_CZ^t (or whatever the code is for the other language). You may have to sort the numbers in order, but i'll find that out as I continue to play with this. Then you can buy the $400 version, export or import via .tmx, and combine your TM with other software.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use conversion software Oct 25, 2013

The task you are undertaking seems useless. There is the international tm exchange format tmx. You simply export your tm from Software A into tmx-format and import the tmx-file into your tm in software B.
You can also switch source and target columns easily. No need to program your own routine.

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cant export Oct 25, 2013

my version of WF does not export or import tmx, and besides, I was talking more than just that. I was talking about combining TM WITHIN WF. I have a customer who sends me sometimes CZ (Czech Republic) to English (US), other times CZ to English (UK) and so forth, and each time it's different I have to use a different TM. I'm just trying to combine the TM into one, regardless which exact language specification is used (into UK or US, for example).

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can combine them in Notepad Oct 25, 2013

Just cut the first line off and paste the second file after the last entry of the first tm-file. After loading WF will re-organize the file. They call it a big-mummy-TM, when you put all tms for one source language into one file.
What version of Wf are you talking about?

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Oct 25, 2013

It says Wordfast Pro when loading but when I go to the Help menu I believe it says something like 2.18. In any case it works and not ready to blow $400 Euro yet for an upgrade. I tried combining but it said there was an index error. I noticed that the .jtx files also get bigger and modified every time I add TM, so I guess not so easy as to just combine files (I erased the headers and even tried sorting the rest alphabetically, but no go). But I managed to get around this by changing the language... See more
It says Wordfast Pro when loading but when I go to the Help menu I believe it says something like 2.18. In any case it works and not ready to blow $400 Euro yet for an upgrade. I tried combining but it said there was an index error. I noticed that the .jtx files also get bigger and modified every time I add TM, so I guess not so easy as to just combine files (I erased the headers and even tried sorting the rest alphabetically, but no go). But I managed to get around this by changing the language combination of the files they send me to match that of my TM. The source and target are always mentioned only once near the top of each file. So change cs-CZ to cs and en-UK to en_US, for example, then you can use the same TM file for all language specifics and not get separate TMs, losing out on a lot.Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TM is only 500 units in demo mode Oct 26, 2013

So it seems you are using WFP in demo-mode. Then your TM cannot be bigger than 500 TU. So combining tms will not help, if you exceed the limit.

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a demo Oct 26, 2013

no, it's not demo and i definitely have more than 500 words memory. why would i waste my time combining that little memory? do you have an objection to me giving some positive tips and why do you seem to have to bash practically everything?

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
transferring tm Oct 26, 2013

oh, and by the way, I found a fairly simple means to transfer the memory than to spend 400 Euro: the simple txt files in Wordfast are tab delimited, so copy the text part (minus the few header lines at the top), in Word convert text to table based on tabs, erase the columns you dont want, split the remaining two columns into two Word files or Excel and create an alignment project, importing the TM that way. Any objections?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Karel Oct 26, 2013

[I rewrote much of what I wrote after it became apparent that you're using WFP, not WFC.]

My understanding is that the xx after
%-----------
marks the end of the file header...

No, that is not so. The "xx" replaces the "20" in a date when the segment is marked for deletion but not yet removed from the TM. You can undelete deleted segments by simply replacing the first "xx" in any line with "20" (this will only become an issue when we reach the 22nd century).

...afterwards by the date (2012/10/29) attached to another number with a ~ .

The number after the "~" is the time in hours, minutes, seconds. It sometimes is a "~" but sometimes it is a "=", and I'm not sure why, but with "~" you're safest.

If merging to TM files you need to add one after the other, and the numbers can never be the same...

AFAIK all dates and all times in the TM can be exactly the same (e.g. 20010101~010101), and WFC will still use it. I'm not sure if WFP will complain, though. I rarely use WFP, although I do have it.

Karel Kosman wrote:
It says Wordfast Pro when loading but when I go to the Help menu I believe it says something like 2.18.

Aaah, you're using Wordfast Pro (WFP). I had assumed that you're using WFC because the TM example that you gave said "%Wordfast TM v.546/00", which made me think that this is WFC. However, I now see that WFP creates TMs that claim to have been created by "%Wordfast TM v.546/00", which is very confusing!!! (darn it, Wordfast LLC).

Version 2.18 is a rather old version of WFP. Any reason why you don't download the latest version of WFP? If you licence is still valid, then you should be able to update for free. An earlier version of WFP had a problem in which it would not accept TMs from WFC, because WFC uses UTF16LE and WFP uses UTF8. The most recent version of WFP no longer has that bug.

Aaah, you're using Wordfast Pro (WFP). I had assumed that you're using WFC because the TM example that you gave said "%Wordfast TM v.546/00", which made me think that this is WFC.

However, I now see that WFP creates TMs that claim to have been created by "%Wordfast TM v.546/00", which is very confusing!!! (darn it, Wordfast LLC).

Version 2.18 is a rather old version of WFP. Any reason why you don't download the latest version of WFP? If you licence is still valid, then you should be able to update for free.

An earlier version of WFP had a problem in which it would not accept TMs from WFC, because WFC uses UTF16LE and WFP uses UTF8. The most recent version of WFP no longer has that bug.

I tried combining but it said there was an index error. I noticed that the .jtx files also get bigger and modified every time I add TM, so I guess not so easy as to just combine files (I erased the headers and even tried sorting the rest alphabetically, but no go).

AFAIK the JTX file is just an index file, so you can safely delete it and WFP will recreate it next time. The main TM file is the TXT file.

So change cs-CZ to cs and en-UK to en_US, for example...

The best place to ask about this would be the "Wordfast" forum. They have experienced users who can tell you whether mixing language codes is a problem for WFP, and how to deal with it. I know that mixing langauge codes is not a problem for WFC.

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support-86.html

[Edited at 2013-10-26 12:22 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Karel II Oct 26, 2013

If you need a simple program to change the language codes of a WFC TM, you can use this:

http://leuce.com/autoit/WfTM2anon.zip

You need to install AutoIt to make it work. It assumes that the TMs are from WFC, so UTF16LE, but if your client sends you WFP TMs (that are in UTF8), then you can edit the script by changing "32" to "128" or "256" in the code (it occurs only once,
... See more
If you need a simple program to change the language codes of a WFC TM, you can use this:

http://leuce.com/autoit/WfTM2anon.zip

You need to install AutoIt to make it work. It assumes that the TMs are from WFC, so UTF16LE, but if your client sends you WFP TMs (that are in UTF8), then you can edit the script by changing "32" to "128" or "256" in the code (it occurs only once, so you can't miss it). Experiment to see which setting doesn't break your TMs.

The little program will ask you if you want to change the user IDs, and source and target language codes, and whether you want to undelete deleted entries. I use it primarily to change TMs with lots of different user IDs into TMs with just one user ID.

Samuel

[Edited at 2013-10-26 12:19 GMT]
Collapse

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
combining Oct 26, 2013

thanks for the great tips Heinrich. In my WF every time I want to open a file it has to be exactly the same language combination, otherwise it forces me to create a new or choose another project with the same combinations. So I have to change the header in the files I want to work on to be able to use a TM with different language combinations. At least it worked.
What concerns the tmx thing, I was talking about combining the TM with another software, like I did with Transit. I'd like to m
... See more
thanks for the great tips Heinrich. In my WF every time I want to open a file it has to be exactly the same language combination, otherwise it forces me to create a new or choose another project with the same combinations. So I have to change the header in the files I want to work on to be able to use a TM with different language combinations. At least it worked.
What concerns the tmx thing, I was talking about combining the TM with another software, like I did with Transit. I'd like to merge all the TM across the software. Managed it without the tmx export function to Transit, but back into WF I'd probably have to buy their upgrade, as mine cannot import/export tmx or create alignment projects.
Collapse

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Change language codes Oct 26, 2013

WF Classic doesn't mind which languages or flavours of those languages the TM uses, you can mix up all the source and target combinations you want in one TM.
WF Pro does. But you can change the language codes, by just doing search/replace sessions in Notepad or in Excel.

If you want to convert the TM into TMX, why don't you use Olifant? It's very good and free.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Work with two TM's Oct 26, 2013

I am always working with 2 TMs in parallel: one is the project (client's) TM, the other one is my personal TM that I use for every project.
So anytime I translate something, it also feeds my personal TM.

The codes are an issue with the project languages, only, not the TM's.

Karel Kosman
Czech Republic
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
projects Oct 26, 2013

that's right, i was able to hook up any TM to a project, and the project actually had to be the same as the translated file, but when I pressed commit to TM and checked the TM files they were not updated. I tired everything and had to resort to this approach. i assume the full version would not have this problem, or others haven't actually checked if updated. the good thing i discovered though is that, if you open a file, even after translating, it will only commit to TM those segments which wer... See more
that's right, i was able to hook up any TM to a project, and the project actually had to be the same as the translated file, but when I pressed commit to TM and checked the TM files they were not updated. I tired everything and had to resort to this approach. i assume the full version would not have this problem, or others haven't actually checked if updated. the good thing i discovered though is that, if you open a file, even after translating, it will only commit to TM those segments which were ALT down arrowed (marked blue on the right). So at least one has a choice to only commit certain segments, but it would be a nice feature to be able to commit all at once, instead of alt downarrowing each segment manually before committing to TM.Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get the latest version before you go too far Oct 26, 2013

Karel Kosman wrote:
It says Wordfast Pro when loading but when I go to the Help menu I believe it says something like 2.18. In any case it works and not ready to blow $400 Euro yet for an upgrade.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
So it seems you are using WFP in demo-mode.

Karel Kosman wrote:
No, it's not demo...

Karel Kosman wrote:
I assume the full version would not have this problem...

If you don't have a demo version, then what do you mean by "the full version", if you don't have the full version? There are only two versions: demo and full.

The full version behaves and works exactly the same way as the demo version, except that it has a limit on the TM size (and on machine translation capability, but that is not relevant here).

If you want to know what the full version will be like, then I suggest that you download the *latest* version (which will be in demo mode until you pay for it), because many problems that existed with the old version has been fixed in the latest version. The latest version is version 3.2.2. You only have version 2.1.8, which is from the year 2009.

http://wordfast.com/store_download.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

combining TM between WordFast projects and other TM software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »