Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
May 23

One of the agencies I work for uses a portal system which releases jobs for translators to claim. When they release a job, you get an email notification with a link to take you to the job. For years, I'd have time to click on the link, look at the job details and consider whether I had the time to take it on before accepting or rejecting it. In the last couple of years however, now when I click on the link, even if I do it immediately as soon as I receive the email notification, the job has alre... See more
One of the agencies I work for uses a portal system which releases jobs for translators to claim. When they release a job, you get an email notification with a link to take you to the job. For years, I'd have time to click on the link, look at the job details and consider whether I had the time to take it on before accepting or rejecting it. In the last couple of years however, now when I click on the link, even if I do it immediately as soon as I receive the email notification, the job has already been claimed. I've even taken to having the portal open on my browser so I can just refresh the page but there is no job to be seen, it's already been taken. I used to think that people were maybe just a fraction quicker than me and accepting the job without even looking at the job details, but as it seems to happen almost every time now and it's so instantaneous, I can't help wondering whether some agencies are using bots to accept these jobs that seem to get snapped up quicker than humanly possible. Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.Collapse

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:38
English to German
+ ...
To what use? May 23

I don't see the use of using a bot and claiming an existing Job which, then, cannot be done by this bot.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Do you know a friendly PM there? May 23

Emily Gilby wrote:

One of the agencies I work for uses a portal system .....For years, I'd have time to click on the link....

Sounds like you've been working with them for a while.
Is there a friendly PM you could ask?
If it happens a lot, it's unlikely they won't have noticed the same "person" accepting everything instantly.
There again perhaps they haven't & you'll be doing them a favour (unless they're happy with the results delivered, I guess, but even so they'd have all their eggs in one basket if people like you are driven away).

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. May 23

Eva Stoppa wrote:

I don't see the use of using a bot and claiming an existing Job which, then, cannot be done by this bot.

I would assume that the job would then get assigned to a human translator at that agency.

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. May 23

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Is there a friendly PM you could ask?

It's not that kind of agency I'm afraid, it's always been very automated. I will try though if I manage to get hold of someone.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Server speeds? May 23

I would put it down to some people's email downloading more frequently.

I can't see any reason for bots to be involved, unless they are just making up jobs to make people feel more and more desperate...

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:38
English to Turkish
Plunet? May 23

Are the jobs being sent through Plunet? I'm registered with a couple of agencies using Plunet where the same issue you describe happens. My guess is that the PM has already assigned the job to a translator by the time you've received the job email.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. May 23

Baran Keki wrote:

Are the jobs being sent through Plunet? I'm registered with a couple of agencies using Plunet where the same issue you describe happens. My guess is that the PM has already assigned the job to a translator by the time you've received the job email.

It's not Plunet but it's one that a few different agencies use though. I'm not sure of the name actually, it doesn't say anywhere obvious on the portal. I'm not sure the PMs are that involved, it seems to be more who accepts the mass requests first and it always seems to be the same person (I usually manage to accept the reviews so I can see the user's number).

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. May 23

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I would put it down to some people's email downloading more frequently.

I can't see any reason for bots to be involved, unless they are just making up jobs to make people feel more and more desperate...

That's good to know. I'm not sure what affects server speed but I'm sure me living out in the middle of nowhere won't be helping it!

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
do colleagues use bots? May 23

I think tech-savvy people would be able to code a bot to claim jobs for them. I'm not one of those people, so I don't know how it's done, but I know from an agency I work with that they had to find ways to distribute jobs more fairly because there were individuals who were getting more jobs than others. Maybe because of connection speed, maybe because of click speed, maybe because of bots? What's for sure is that there were many people complaining, and that helped, because the agency took the co... See more
I think tech-savvy people would be able to code a bot to claim jobs for them. I'm not one of those people, so I don't know how it's done, but I know from an agency I work with that they had to find ways to distribute jobs more fairly because there were individuals who were getting more jobs than others. Maybe because of connection speed, maybe because of click speed, maybe because of bots? What's for sure is that there were many people complaining, and that helped, because the agency took the complaints seriously.
There was a moment when they introduced a limit on page refreshes (because of large use of automatic page refreshes) - when you reached # refreshes, you had to wait I think 20 minutes for the next refresh cycle.
They ended up with a rather complicated timed system, but it seems that jobs are now more evenly distributed among translators.
So complaining is for sure something you should do IMO.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Sabrina Martinez
TURJOMAN ..
Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
Call me cynical May 23

The simplest explanation is that the job has already been allocated when it is posted onto the site. The PMs probably have to put the job on the first-come-first-serve portal to meet their objectives or possibly other commitments to customers. Alas!

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Lack of transparency May 23

That’s exactely the problem here, a total absence of transparency. I am not among those who want to be involved in it. This type of agencies do not provide good jobs or added value anyway.

TURJOMAN ..
TURJOMAN ..
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
The same thing happened to me May 23

Emily Gilby wrote:

One of the agencies I work for uses a portal system which releases jobs for translators to claim. When they release a job, you get an email notification with a link to take you to the job. For years, I'd have time to click on the link, look at the job details and consider whether I had the time to take it on before accepting or rejecting it. In the last couple of years however, now when I click on the link, even if I do it immediately as soon as I receive the email notification, the job has already been claimed. I've even taken to having the portal open on my browser so I can just refresh the page but there is no job to be seen, it's already been taken. I used to think that people were maybe just a fraction quicker than me and accepting the job without even looking at the job details, but as it seems to happen almost every time now and it's so instantaneous, I can't help wondering whether some agencies are using bots to accept these jobs that seem to get snapped up quicker than humanly possible. Would love to hear your thoughts/experiences.

The same thing happened to me when I was volunteering for an organization that requested volunteer translators. I couldn't translate any article during that period. After that, when I received an email, I opened it quickly upon arrival and got three consecutive articles. Speed may have played a role in that

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Automated job grabbing May 23

Zea_Mays wrote:
I think tech-savvy people would be able to code a bot to claim jobs for them.

That's what I would do. I would have a python script poll the server every few seconds, parse any new jobs, and grab anything with a volume or delivery date that I could handle. If it were only myself doing it I don't think there would be a problem and the agency probably wouldn't even notice. If lots of people were doing it then the impact on the server would probably be quite significant.

This might be what Emily has noticed.

Dan

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
First-come-first-served agencies are the bread and butter of scammers May 24

Zea_Mays wrote:

but I know from an agency I work with that they had to find ways to distribute jobs more fairly because there were individuals who were getting more jobs than others. Maybe because of connection speed, maybe because of click speed, maybe because of bots? What's for sure is that there were many people complaining, and that helped, because the agency took the complaints seriously.

I'm sure a deviously industrious individual taking the time and trouble to get himself registered to a first-come-first-served agency as a translator of dozen languages (by stealing other translators' resumes) will find a way to 'code a bot to claim jobs', which are then to be outsourced on Upwork to bottom-feeders at 1 cent per word.
If the agency 'take the complaints seriously' and is in need of 'finding ways to distribute jobs more fairly', why not do away with the idiotic practice of sending jobs on the "first-come-first-served" basis, and actually assign tasks to tried and true translators instead of taking absurd chances with dubious characters who got themselves registered there by clicking on the 'Join Us' button and completing (or rather having others complete) an easy, generic test translation?
Is it too much trouble for them to hire PMs who will personally deal with translators to assign them tasks? Does this scheme (automatically sending out job emails on the first-come-first-served basis) help agencies save money by not having to hire PMs? I mean what kind of effed up business mentality is this?

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do agencies use bots?

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »