Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 24, 2009

G'day everyone

I suggest that replies in a thread that are posted by the thread's original poster get a slightly different colour background, so that readers of the thread might know that he was the originator of that post.

Although the original poster does not "own" the thread, his comments are slightly more relevant or important because the other people's comments are usually meant for his enlightenment. If the original poster makes a comment, it is often because he
... See more
G'day everyone

I suggest that replies in a thread that are posted by the thread's original poster get a slightly different colour background, so that readers of the thread might know that he was the originator of that post.

Although the original poster does not "own" the thread, his comments are slightly more relevant or important because the other people's comments are usually meant for his enlightenment. If the original poster makes a comment, it is often because he is clarifying his original post in the light of questions or comments made by others.

This would especially be helpful with threads of several pages, where one can't simply scroll up to see who the original poster was.

Threads on ProZ.com often contain a mixture of on-topic and off-topic replies. An original poster may only respond to comments after a day or two, by which time the thread has filled up with various replies that may or may not have anything to do with the original question.

Your thoughts?
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:29
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Good idea! Jan 24, 2009

Hi Samuel, I think it is indeed good idea!

Uldis

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:29
German to English
+ ...
I second that Jan 24, 2009

Well thought!

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good idea! Jan 24, 2009

I second that, too.
It also facilitates reading multi-page threads.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Gets my vote, too Jan 24, 2009

I like that idea, Samuel...very practical!

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I agree! Jan 24, 2009

I hope the idea will be implemented.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Certainly - and another point ... Jan 24, 2009

I forty-fifth your suggestion (or wherever we were), but I have another to add:-

When there are already a lot of replies, and I go to reply, the screen drops all but the latest posts. Often, I want to reply specifically to the poster (without actually quoting their text), but I can't remember their name, or where they come from, or what exactly they said.

I would like to see the original post, plus the last few. Anyone want to second that?

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Thanks for the suggestion Jan 24, 2009

Hi Samuel,

This sounds like a pretty good idea, and it's easy to implement!

I tagged it as a suggestion and I'll see that it gets done next week.

Thanks for posting.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
and something for the "Off-topics" within a thread Jan 24, 2009

I agree with Samuel, if not a color, a distinctive label "Thread Initiator" could be useful.

Samuel Murray wrote:
Threads on ProZ.com often contain a mixture of on-topic and off-topic replies.

And... as we are talking about cosmetic details to the forum, I would also find useful to make it possible to mark any off-topic posting, or sequence of postings, within a thread, as OFF-TOPIC, so that the readers can skip them easily, or take into account that they are deviations (far too often inevitable) from the initial topic.

The "internal OT" may be applied by the authors themselves, or by the forum moderator.
The purpose here is to facilitate the flow of all other postings, perhaps even to encourage the participants to not deviate for too long, if possible.

Gianfranco

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
that would make this suggestion off topic Jan 25, 2009

gianfranco wrote:

I agree with Samuel, if not a color, a distinctive label "Thread Initiator" could be useful.

Samuel Murray wrote:
Threads on ProZ.com often contain a mixture of on-topic and off-topic replies.

And... as we are talking about cosmetic details to the forum, I would also find useful to make it possible to mark any off-topic posting, or sequence of postings, within a thread, as OFF-TOPIC, so that the readers can skip them easily, or take into account that they are deviations (far too often inevitable) from the initial topic.

The "internal OT" may be applied by the authors themselves, or by the forum moderator.
The purpose here is to facilitate the flow of all other postings, perhaps even to encourage the participants to not deviate for too long, if possible.

Gianfranco

How much deviation is 'off-topic'? Imo, it's too impractical to expect the forum moderator or anyone else to read through an entire discussion and decide what is on or off topic. I think most of us are capable of making up our own minds whether to ignore someone's posting or to decide to comment on it.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Who decides what is off topic? Jan 25, 2009

gianfranco wrote:

Gianfranco

I am sorry, Gianfranco, this is a "feature" we definitely do not need.

Please let the translators decide what is on or off topic. What is off topic for you might be on topic for me, and vice versa. Most translators should be capable of making their own minds whether to ignore a posting or to decide to comment on it.

Apart from this, translators' and moderators' time is precious, so let's focus on the important things of "ProZ-life".

Thanks, Aniello

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Off topic & info access Jan 25, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Who decides what is off topic?
I am sorry, Gianfranco, this is a "feature" we definitely do not need.

Sometimes the perception of a post being "off-topic" merely reflect a lack of understanding (often clearly a language problem or an inability to understand irony, parody, etc.) or simple disagreement. While I would like to think that only those who agree with me are "on topic", I'm sure I would stand pretty much by myself in this position.

Sheila's point about wanting access to older posts, names, etc. is well made. That drives me nuts, and I often have a second browser tab with the discussion simply to access this information while writing a post. I'm not sure what the technical solution would be, however, unless maybe it's a button to open the discussion in a new window/tab for reference. Split windows? It could get pretty complicated.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good idea Jan 25, 2009

Good idea Samuel - it would definitely make the threads more profitable.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not needed Jan 26, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Although the original poster does not "own" the thread, his comments are slightly more relevant or important because the other people's comments are usually meant for his enlightenment. If the original poster makes a comment, it is often because he is clarifying his original post in the light of questions or comments made by others.

This would especially be helpful with threads of several pages, where one can't simply scroll up to see who the original poster was.

I am sorry, Samuel. I really don`t think this feature can be of any help.

If one wants to see who the original poster was or what he/she said in his/her first post, one can easily go to the top of the page or go to page 1 in case of two or more pages.

Furthermore, I fail to see why the original poster's comments can be more relevant at all. The original poster might have just done a question (i.e. how much to charge for such and such project, where can I find a good online dictionary on so and so topic, etc), stated an opinion on a certain subject or made a suggestion about the site that can be supported or discussed by other members.

Many times the answers to a question are most valuable. Very often the discussion on a proposal might be more important than the original suggestion and provide useful input.

I do believe that all opinions and contributions are welcome and worthy.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 22:44 GMT]

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not viable Jan 26, 2009

writeaway wrote:

gianfranco wrote:

...I would also find useful to make it possible to mark any off-topic posting, or sequence of postings, within a thread, as OFF-TOPIC, so that the readers can skip them easily, or take into account that they are deviations (far too often inevitable) from the initial topic.

Gianfranco

How much deviation is 'off-topic'? Imo, it's too impractical to expect the forum moderator or anyone else to read through an entire discussion and decide what is on or off topic. I think most of us are capable of making up our own minds whether to ignore someone's posting or to decide to comment on it.

I certainly agree with writeaway.

This suggestion is not viable, is impractical and not needed. We can skip the OT posts if we want to; maybe we don`t, maybe what it is OT to me is not for somebody else.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Highlight original poster

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »