How did you find the DPSI oral exam?
Thread poster: Hecate29
Hecate29
Hecate29
English to Polish
Jun 16, 2013

I have my DPSI (Law pathway) oral exam on Wednesday and to be honest, even thinking about it is making me feel sick. It seems like the more I revise the less I know... Sense? None.
I am not as worried about the written part of the exam, since you are allowed to have various glossaries and dictionaries with you, but the oral part is making me freeze with fear (especially the simultaneous bit). I'm worried that I'll forget a tr
... See more
I have my DPSI (Law pathway) oral exam on Wednesday and to be honest, even thinking about it is making me feel sick. It seems like the more I revise the less I know... Sense? None.
I am not as worried about the written part of the exam, since you are allowed to have various glossaries and dictionaries with you, but the oral part is making me freeze with fear (especially the simultaneous bit). I'm worried that I'll forget a translation for the simplest word in the world (cigarettes, anyone? it has happened before) or will not know a name for basic institutions.
How did you find the oral part of the exam? Could you share any relaxation tips? I certainly need them.
Collapse

kristiniite
kristiniite
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Latvian
I feel the same Jun 19, 2013

I have my exam tomorrow and I feel exactly the same. How was your exam anyway?

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:03
English to Polish
+ ...
Hope it went well! Jun 20, 2013

Hecate29 wrote:

I am not as worried about the written part of the exam, since you are allowed to have various glossaries and dictionaries with you, but the oral part is making me freeze with fear (especially the simultaneous bit). I'm worried that I'll forget a translation for the simplest word in the world (cigarettes, anyone? it has happened before) or will not know a name for basic institutions.
How did you find the oral part of the exam? Could you share any relaxation tips? I certainly need them.

Too late for my tips to be of any use to you, but here's hoping that you've passed the exam!

And my tips for anyone in your situation are: Don't bother worrying, it won't help you any. Your knowledge is basically where it is, as with few exceptions such exams generally test you on the progress you've made so far rather than a bunch of study material crammed in just to pass some finals somewhere. So you might as well relax and just reapply (with some added experience) if things go wrong. You actually should relax because, like I said, you can't help your knowledge much within such a short time-frame, but you can help your mental frame and physical shape, both of which are extremely important to interpreting (at least in my case they're critical).

Since I mentioned cramming or the absence of it. Don't actually omit cramming if you just need to swallow a deposit of vocabulary to make yourself viable in an unfamiliar field, but first of all you should probably practice interpreting itself (i.e. mostly your reactions) rather than cramming knowledge. Just so you know.

kristiniite wrote:

I have my exam tomorrow and I feel exactly the same. How was your exam anyway?

Now, you, definitely get some sleep. And cheer up.

[Edited at 2013-06-20 00:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How did you find the DPSI oral exam?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »