Thread poster: Miroslav Božić (X)
Miroslav Božić (X)
Miroslav Božić (X)
North Macedonia
Local time: 09:52
English to German
+ ...
Jul 9, 2021

I'm creating my own website currently as a freelance translator and I thought of adding a click-to-pay option, but although I prefer pre-payments rather than having to wait for payments to arrive after completing translation (if they ever arrive) and having to run after the clients. I thought of sending them a payment request with a offer confirmation via email once they agree with my price offer. I think this might be much easier with PayPal for example, if you can recommend it. I see Proz has ... See more
I'm creating my own website currently as a freelance translator and I thought of adding a click-to-pay option, but although I prefer pre-payments rather than having to wait for payments to arrive after completing translation (if they ever arrive) and having to run after the clients. I thought of sending them a payment request with a offer confirmation via email once they agree with my price offer. I think this might be much easier with PayPal for example, if you can recommend it. I see Proz has introduced ProzPay. Would you say it's better than PayPal or Wise or other payment providers? Thanks for your ideas. My aim is to make it as straightforward for my clients as possible.Collapse

Gabriele Fu

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:52
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Miroslav Jul 10, 2021

I have been translating for over 30 years and the fingers of my hand are enough to count the number of times I was prepaid (save for direct clients during the time I worked as sworn translator). I work both with translation agencies and direct clients (almost 50/50) and my payment terms are 30 days upon date of invoice though over the years I have accepted different payment conditions from prompt payment (the day after receiving my invoice) to 90 days (the most I accept). Besides that most of my... See more
I have been translating for over 30 years and the fingers of my hand are enough to count the number of times I was prepaid (save for direct clients during the time I worked as sworn translator). I work both with translation agencies and direct clients (almost 50/50) and my payment terms are 30 days upon date of invoice though over the years I have accepted different payment conditions from prompt payment (the day after receiving my invoice) to 90 days (the most I accept). Besides that most of my customers pay by bank transfer and only a few non-EU clients pay through Wise (I don’t accept PayPal).Collapse

Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Miroslav Jul 10, 2021

Miroslav Božić wrote:
My aim is to make it as straightforward for my clients as possible.

Since different clients have different preferences, the easiest way to make it straight-forward for your clients is to list all of the payment methods that you accept at the bottom of your invoice. This includes e.g. your banking details, you PayPal account name/number, your Skrill account name/number, all details needed to do a Western Union transfer, what people should write on cheques etc. (depending, of course, on which payment methods you accept).

I'm creating my own website currently as a freelance translator and I thought of adding a click-to-pay option...

It's best to just communicate your requirements via e-mail. So, if you want people to pay beforehand, you would send them a pro forma invoice (which is identical to your normal invoice except that you are willing to change the word "invoice" to "pro forma invoice" if the client's accountant requires it). And in your invoice, you put all the information necessary for a client to pay you.

A click-to-pay option would require you to explain to your client (via e-mail) that he must visit your web site and tell him which link he should click to make payment. And some clients simply won't be happy to click a payment link on a strange web site. Plus, the click-to-pay option would probably be connected to some service that your clients would still have to sign up for. This doesn't make life simpler for clients.

And as for the idea that this could help clients pay easily as soon as they decide to use your services... well, you're not supposed to accept payments from clients that you haven't communicated with them to ensure that you can actually provide them with the service they require, at the time that they require it.

I thought of sending them a payment request with a offer confirmation via email once they agree with my price offer.

Yup, this "payment request" is the invoice or pro forma invoice that you send to them. You send them the invoice and tell them that you'll start working as soon as they've paid it. But I agree with Teresa: hardly any client will pay in advance.

[Edited at 2021-07-10 13:58 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Bajram Djambazi
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:52
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is it neccessary to have a website? Jul 11, 2021

I thought your ProZ profile plays the same role as your website.

[Edited at 2021-07-11 04:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment options for Translator websites

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »