Local time: 05:38
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 11, 2005

Hi, everybody!

I was searching the glossaries and came across this question:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/28669

Can the asker answer his/her own question???

Cheers!
Andrea -a bit puzzled

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Automatic point generation May 11, 2005

Andrea Ali wrote:

Hi, everybody!

I was searching the glossaries and came across this question:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/28669

Can the asker answer his/her own question???

Cheers!
Andrea -a bit puzzled

Hey, what a neat trick! An easy way to accumulate KudoZ and BrownieZ!

OK, seriously... I think maybe this needs to be controlled.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 01:38
English to French
+ ...
No you can't! (anymore) May 11, 2005

They're checking IPs now.
A few months ago, someone was unable to agree to one of my answers because, supposedly, her IP was the same as mine.-

The question you found dates back to 2001, the site has evolved quite a bit since.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Very strange May 11, 2005

Hello

As a moderator I can say that I have never seen such a situation. We have already seen asker and answerer the same, (this is called cheating and it's punished), but never working with the same profile.

Nowadays the system doesn't accept this, so technically it cannot happen.

I don't think that it was for cheating either, as it happens only in one question. I think that in 2001 the system didn't work as well as now and there was a glitch.

... See more
Hello

As a moderator I can say that I have never seen such a situation. We have already seen asker and answerer the same, (this is called cheating and it's punished), but never working with the same profile.

Nowadays the system doesn't accept this, so technically it cannot happen.

I don't think that it was for cheating either, as it happens only in one question. I think that in 2001 the system didn't work as well as now and there was a glitch.

In order to avoid any wrong idea, I'm going to ungrade that question.

Thank you Andrea

Claudia
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:38
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Claudia! May 11, 2005

I never thought of cheating since I know, as you very well point out, this is technically impossible. Is it?

BTW, the answer was somehow useful to me!

OK, back to work.

HugZ,
Andrea -a bit less puzzled

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
In case it wasn't clear... May 11, 2005

I am not in favor of cheating. After my silly first statement, I got serious and stated what I really felt - that this should not be allowed.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
I don't get it May 11, 2005

The asker didn't get any points, she just gave the answer she had found elsewhere.

Recently I saw some complaints about the fact that askers don't tell the answer they found when they close a thread because they found the answer elsewhere. So what should we do exactly in such a situation?

Best,
Esther

BlueTalis
BlueTalis
Local time: 10:38
English to German
+ ...
"Disagree" and no answer May 11, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Recently I saw some complaints about the fact that askers don't tell the answer they found when they close a thread because they found the answer elsewhere. So what should we do exactly in such a situation?

I had the same happen to me: I just got a "Disagree" and no explanation of how the translation really should be. That is really annoying if you spend your time trying to help others. And of course I'm curious to find out what I should say if I come across that term in a translation!

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
The Solution May 11, 2005

The asker should be allowed to answer his own questions if none of the answerers in Kudoz section could give the correct answer and he finds it elsewhere, BUT he can't get Kudoz or Brownies!

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Answering and telling the answer chosen May 11, 2005

The question had been answered by the same profile than the asker's, in other words, by the asker. Same picture, link to the same profile.
She had got points and entered the answer in the glossary. When I un-graded the question I had the option to let the glossary entry. As it seemed to me that it was also the best answer (later Andrea confirmed that the answer had helped her), I did so.

Then I had three answers with no agrees and a glossary entry. I imagined that what could
... See more
The question had been answered by the same profile than the asker's, in other words, by the asker. Same picture, link to the same profile.
She had got points and entered the answer in the glossary. When I un-graded the question I had the option to let the glossary entry. As it seemed to me that it was also the best answer (later Andrea confirmed that the answer had helped her), I did so.

Then I had three answers with no agrees and a glossary entry. I imagined that what could happen would be that agrees and robot would do the trick, but I was not sure that peers would not agree with the same answer, so I decided to hide it.

To answer your question:
We can close a question without selecting any answer and we can explain the reason. If it's because we found the answer elsewhere, we should say which one the answer is (this is more polite and better accepted tan saying nothing).
This doesn't allow to make an entry in the glossary. So, if I was in that situation and I'm sure that the answer I found is the best one that deserves going to the glossary, I would give at least one point to the most helpful answer and make sure that what I foung goes to the glossary.

In any case we will not be able to answer one of our own questions or to be awarded points as if we were not the same person.

Claudia

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

The asker didn't get any points, she just gave the answer she had found elsewhere.

Best,
Esther
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Disagree vs. Declined May 11, 2005

Hi BlueTalis

I think that you mean "Declined". This can happen even if the asker doesn't close the question. This option has lots of ennemies. There are several problems related to it, first it's not compulsory to enter a reason (as it is for disagrees for example). Second, many people don't understand what it really means (lots of misuse among beginners in KudoZ).
We have now a new option, the moderator of that pair is able to un-decline. He or she could contact the asker at
... See more
Hi BlueTalis

I think that you mean "Declined". This can happen even if the asker doesn't close the question. This option has lots of ennemies. There are several problems related to it, first it's not compulsory to enter a reason (as it is for disagrees for example). Second, many people don't understand what it really means (lots of misuse among beginners in KudoZ).
We have now a new option, the moderator of that pair is able to un-decline. He or she could contact the asker at least to ask for the reason.

Claudia

BlueTalis wrote:
I had the same happen to me: I just got a "Disagree" and no explanation of how the translation really should be. That is really annoying if you spend your time trying to help others. And of course I'm curious to find out what I should say if I come across that term in a translation!
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It is possible May 11, 2005

Lingo Pros wrote:

The asker should be allowed to answer his own questions if none of the answerers in Kudoz section could give the correct answer and he finds it elsewhere, BUT he can't get Kudoz or Brownies!

The asker can close the question without grading:

Closing without grading
Reason:
Answer found elsewhere
No acceptable answer
Errant question
Other

But in this case there's no place to write what's the answer he/she found, that's why I advice to give one point to the most helpful answer in order to be able to enter the translation found in the glossary or at least in the "thank you" comment.

Claudia

Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
I can´t see what you are talking about May 11, 2005

Sorry, guys. I'm clicking on this link to see the person who graded him or herself, but I get to this old answer that is not yet graded. Has it been changed?

Claudia Iglesias
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes silvizar, it has been changed May 12, 2005

silvizar wrote:

Sorry, guys. I'm clicking on this link to see the person who graded him or herself, but I get to this old answer that is not yet graded. Has it been changed?

As I said, I un-graded the question and I made invisible the answer given by the asker but kept her answer in the glossary.

Claudia

Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the explanation May 12, 2005

My mistake.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asker = answerer?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »