Please bring back the squash button and the option to edit PRO/NON-PRO status for certain members
Thread poster: awilliams
awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2005

Firstly, many thanks for all the changes made to the KudoZ system and sitewide.

Secondly - and I'm sorry this has been said already in other recent posts - please could members who previously had access to the squash button and the opportunity to edit questions from pro to non-pro and vice versa have those options back? I seem to remember that the criteria for this was 500 KudoZ points(?). It's incredibly frustrating to have had them taken away.

Thanks and have a
... See more

Secondly - and I'm sorry this has been said already in other recent posts - please could members who previously had access to the squash button and the opportunity to edit questions from pro to non-pro and vice versa have those options back? I seem to remember that the criteria for this was 500 KudoZ points(?). It's incredibly frustrating to have had them taken away.

Thanks and have a good week.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Apr 25, 2005

Amy Williams wrote:

Thanks and have a good week.

Yes-it's been maddening-duplicates, pronouns listed as 'pro', etc. The edit/squash system wasn't broken-so why was it fixed?

[Edited at 2005-04-25 23:42]

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:48
German to English
+ ...
Speaking of squashing... Apr 26, 2005

I tried to squash a duplicate question the other day, but couldn't, because the second one already had an answer. HOWEVER, the answerer was the same one who had answered the first question. I think it should be possible to squash in that case.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 03:48
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
totally agree Apr 26, 2005

Yes it would be nice to have it back 9even instead of that voting..).

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:48
English to Estonian
+ ...
Lower limits for lower-traffic languages ? Apr 26, 2005

I do believe that even the the total traffic in my language pairs has never reached 500 points, I think the limit should be a percentage of total traffic or something like that ?

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 10:48
German to Romanian
+ ...
The issue was raised in the KudoZ improvement topic, but... Apr 26, 2005

nobody answered so far

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
English-French Pro: how do you spell gymnastics in French? Apr 26, 2005

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

nobody answered so far

How long is this going to go on?

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please bring it back! Apr 26, 2005

No-one at ProZ seems to be answering...

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
English
+ ...
Wonder what it will take? Apr 27, 2005

We should go back to being able to "squash" and change Pro into Easy and vice-versa. Not an "improvement", not by a long shot, IMHO.

Mark Oliver
Mark Oliver  Identity Verified
Indonesian to English
+ ...
A second to Jörgen's idea -- lower than 500 for low-traffic pairs. Apr 28, 2005

I would certainly second Jörgen's opinion -- there have been a maddening number of KudoZ violations in another lower-traffic language pair that I can think of. I am considering turning off the KudoZ option entirely, but am hesitant to do so, since it is has been such a wonderful tool in the past.

Does anyone know how one becomes a moderator? There is no moderator in the ID-->EN or EN-->ID language pairs, and it appears to be necessary.

I do realize that moderating
... See more
I would certainly second Jörgen's opinion -- there have been a maddening number of KudoZ violations in another lower-traffic language pair that I can think of. I am considering turning off the KudoZ option entirely, but am hesitant to do so, since it is has been such a wonderful tool in the past.

Does anyone know how one becomes a moderator? There is no moderator in the ID-->EN or EN-->ID language pairs, and it appears to be necessary.

I do realize that moderating KudoZ is probably more work than simply deleting an increasing number of spurious KudoZ mailings, but I would certainly be willing to step in to do so.

Jörgen wrote:

I do believe that even the the total traffic in my language pairs has never reached 500 points, I think the limit should be a percentage of total traffic or something like that ?
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Very frustrating in urgent cases! Apr 29, 2005

Amy Williams wrote:

please could members who previously had access to the squash button and the opportunity to edit questions from pro to non-pro and vice versa have those options back?

Agree wholeheartedly - this morning a highly offensive "question" - actually just a troll posting - was posted in the English>Arabic pair, and it was extremely frustrating that I wasn't able to squash it. I did contact the moderator, but since it's night time in the States, it could be hours before he gets my message. I know that squashing privileges were often misused by people who thought of themselves as Kudoz policemen, but it would still be nice to have it back for such urgent cases.
(By the way, if anyone with squashing privileges is reading this right now, the question referred to is here http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1016961 )

Nesrin

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Question squashed Apr 29, 2005

Hi Nesrin and all,

I have squashed the question. You can contact any moderator (who speaks the language), when a quick action is needed and you know that the KudoZ moderator(s) of that pair might be offline.

Giuliana

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
The silence is deafening Apr 29, 2005

Amy Williams wrote:

No-one at ProZ seems to be answering...

Of course we can always contact the Moderators (wonder about the effect on their already busy workload), but it would be nice to hear directly from 'above' why these options were suddenly removed without warning and if/when they will be 'restored'. It is more maddening by the day, since the rights to enter mistakes (duplicate questions, etc.) and site abuse (incomplete questions, nonsense questions etc.) have been left intact. No one has removed them and now no members can.
As for the Pro/Easy prob-why not just remove the option completely. It's subjective anyway. After all, what will be "easy" for someone with the necessary language skills and knowledge in a field will be "pro" for someone who doesn't really know the language and is unfamiliar with the field. There are lots of people who regularly deal with languages and fields that they don't actually know well enough at all-they have learned to rely on Kudoz help instead. Since that problem probably won't (can't) be addressed, then there's not much point to distinguishing between pro and easy.

[Edited at 2005-04-29 11:26]

[Edited at 2005-04-29 12:07]

[Edited at 2005-04-29 12:12]

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 10:48
English to French
+ ...
The squash button May 1, 2005

It is getting really ridiculous! Put back this squash button and be done with it! We NEED it. Like someone posted twice the same question.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please bring back the squash button and the option to edit PRO/NON-PRO status for certain members

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »