Wrong language combination entered by the asker
Thread poster: mstkwasa
mstkwasa
mstkwasa
Local time: 09:57
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 17, 2005

This may be something that is largely restricted to JP - EN pairs (JP>EN, EN>JP) but there have been many cases recently where the wrong combination was entered by the asker.

It may not be too critical since most translators in JP-EN work bidirectionally (as it were) but the asker may be losing out on those who work unidirectionally. And it is a bit confusing, to say the least.

Doing it is not much joy but I usually change it to the correct pair by editing the question
... See more
This may be something that is largely restricted to JP - EN pairs (JP>EN, EN>JP) but there have been many cases recently where the wrong combination was entered by the asker.

It may not be too critical since most translators in JP-EN work bidirectionally (as it were) but the asker may be losing out on those who work unidirectionally. And it is a bit confusing, to say the least.

Doing it is not much joy but I usually change it to the correct pair by editing the question and let the asker know by using "ask the asker" function ["I have changed the language pair to ...]. I am not keen to fiddle with someone else's question and it seems a wee bit nosy.

This is probably due to the fact that the language combination used most recently is kept as default and the asker just enters the term without checking.

Anyway, does this happen in your language pair(s) and what do you do?
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:57
I happens a lot... Mar 17, 2005

... in the Spanish-English and English-Spanish pairs. We just send a note to the asker to change the pair, and I believe that sometimes, the colleagues who can do it, change the pairs themselves. I guess it comes with the package!

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:57
French to Spanish
+ ...
It happens, and no big deal. Mar 18, 2005

Not "a lot" as Rosa María quotes, but yes, sometimes. ProZ members with some amount of kudoz can change pair language: I've done it, and I don't take it as a privilege... I'm just helping, because sometimes new members don't know exactly how to use this wonderful site.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
Polish to English
+ ...
Not at all Mar 18, 2005

mstkwasa wrote:
I am not keen to fiddle with someone else's question and it seems a wee bit nosy.

I believe (I hope!) that most of these mistakes result from the way the question system is set up: there is a default drop down list of the language pairs you use and if someone is absent minded in the morning, they will forget to change the direction.

Changing the language pair is, IMVHO, not being nosy at all. By fixing this, you are doing good housekeeping here. If it happens once to somebody (in the PL-EN pair), we just change the direction. If it happens more often, one of us usually gives the asker a "nudge".

I believe such changes (also spelling mistakes etc. in the additional fill-in fields) improve the quality of the glossary and of the information available here.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:57
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Changing language combinations Mar 18, 2005

PAS wrote:
I believe such changes (also spelling mistakes etc. in the additional fill-in fields) improve the quality of the glossary and of the information available here.

Definitely - someone as reserved as you appear to be will not be regarded as "nosy" or anything else, except perhaps polite and helpful. Most people posing questions (and making such mistakes) do not have the ability to change anything and will probably be grateful that you did it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wrong language combination entered by the asker

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »