Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 16:03
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2011

Dear All,

I have to quote on a job that involves the translation of a pdf file that was created in Adobe Illustrator.

I've translated a large number of such projects, but always through an agency, so I only had to deal with .ttx source files, which I'm quite comfortable with.

This time it's a direct client that seems to lack localization expertise.

I have full licences for Trados 2007, Deja Vu X 2 and MemoQ 4.5. I use DVX2 (previously DVX) f
... See more
Dear All,

I have to quote on a job that involves the translation of a pdf file that was created in Adobe Illustrator.

I've translated a large number of such projects, but always through an agency, so I only had to deal with .ttx source files, which I'm quite comfortable with.

This time it's a direct client that seems to lack localization expertise.

I have full licences for Trados 2007, Deja Vu X 2 and MemoQ 4.5. I use DVX2 (previously DVX) for 99,9% of my projects.

What is the best procedure to handle Illustrator .ai files? I would prefer handling these directly in DVX2. If this doesn't work, converting them to .ttx (how?), and then translate these as usual in DVX2. I'd be willing to use MemoQ as well, although I haven't really used this CAT yet.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Csaba
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Use InFix Pro Jun 14, 2011

If it's a PDF already, you may translate it directly. Forget Illustrator.

Check it out here. It will export all the text from PDF to a XML file, which you can translate using whatever CAT tool you prefer. I use WordFast. My workflow is described <
... See more
If it's a PDF already, you may translate it directly. Forget Illustrator.

Check it out here. It will export all the text from PDF to a XML file, which you can translate using whatever CAT tool you prefer. I use WordFast. My workflow is described here.

I am a PageMaker wizard, have been using successive versions of it for 20+ years. However I've never used any other DTP program. When all the client needed was a translated PDF, I could quickly recreate any publication with PM. Now I don't care how a publication was created any more; I ask for the PDF and translate directly on it.

Of course, you'll have to do some DTP adjustments for overflowing text. That's what the original InFix was designed for. There are plenty of tools to do it there. Yet there is one caveat about InFix: it's one program where you must read the whole instruction manual, as it contains a lot of apparently hidden tools.
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry - InDesign Jun 14, 2011

Sorry for my ignorance.

Apparently the file was created in InDesign and can be edited by pages in Illustrator.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Makes no difference, if it's a PDF Jun 14, 2011

It may be InDesign, QuarkXpress, FrameMaker, PageMaker, Scribus, even MS Word or any other. PDF is a common output format, as if it were printed paper.

However InFix does not handle scanned PDFs. In these, the letter "O", for instance, ir just a circle; there is no text to translate there, if you get my point.

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obrigado Jun 14, 2011

Dear José,

Thank you for the tip using InFix. I successfully created an .xml file out of .pdf.

In DVX2 I first created a file specific XML filter, then imported the .xml file, but I'm not happy with the segmentation. Apparently there's a segment break wherever there should be a formatting tag (e.g. or ). I still have to play around with the XML filter I suppose to fix this problem.

Csaba

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's part of the deal Jun 14, 2011

InFix will preserve all formatting by means of tags. This means that if the original pub has a different initial letter, or some text uses "small caps" (which software conversts into smaller size uppercase letters), you'll have to deal with that, just as if you were doing it in InDesign or whatever.

If there is some PDF internal segmentation, i.e. one whole paragraph broken into several lines, you can unite it back (manually, of course - but it's quick) by using a command named "Mar
... See more
InFix will preserve all formatting by means of tags. This means that if the original pub has a different initial letter, or some text uses "small caps" (which software conversts into smaller size uppercase letters), you'll have to deal with that, just as if you were doing it in InDesign or whatever.

If there is some PDF internal segmentation, i.e. one whole paragraph broken into several lines, you can unite it back (manually, of course - but it's quick) by using a command named "Marshall Text". As I said, you must read the manual, but it will be well worth the effort.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:03
English to Turkish
+ ...
XML PDF Filter Jun 14, 2011

Csaba Ban wrote:

In DVX2 I first created a file specific XML filter, then imported the .xml file, but I'm not happy with the segmentation. Apparently there's a segment break wherever there should be a formatting tag (e.g. or ). I still have to play around with the XML filter I suppose to fix this problem.

Hi Csaba,

There is already a filter for DVX at C:\Program Files\Iceni\Infix4\Translation support\Deja Vu X so there is no need to create a new one.

Selcuk

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jun 16, 2011

Thank you both for your valuable input.

InFix is a great tool indeed

FYI, I contacted their support staff to find out if the 30 dollar Pay and Save scheme comes with the Text Marshalling function enabled, and they replied within an hour - yes, it's enabled.

Csaba

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Illustrator - which CAT to use?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »