Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 18

Hello everyone

More and more clients are now applying a 30% discount on MTPE segments during an otherwise normal translation. Often, the MTPE discount is automatically applied to any segment that doesn't have a fuzzy match. At other times, clients simply designate random segments to be MTPE segments, and expect the translator to take a 30% hit on those segments.

So, I'm thinking that I'll have to either accept that starting from this year, all of my work pays 30% less
... See more
Hello everyone

More and more clients are now applying a 30% discount on MTPE segments during an otherwise normal translation. Often, the MTPE discount is automatically applied to any segment that doesn't have a fuzzy match. At other times, clients simply designate random segments to be MTPE segments, and expect the translator to take a 30% hit on those segments.

So, I'm thinking that I'll have to either accept that starting from this year, all of my work pays 30% less, or I have to change my pricing structure: my usual rate for standard segments, and my usual rate plus 30% for MTPE segments (so that, when the 30% discount is applied, I get paid my usual rate for those segments).

E.g. 6c per word for new and fuzzy segments and 9c per word for MTPE segments. Or 9c per word for new and fuzzy segments and 11c per word for MTPE segments.

It remains to be seen how my agency clients respond to this novel pricing structure.

Samuel
Collapse

Philip Lees
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Impressed Jun 18

I’m sure they’ll be impressed.

I don’t have to worry about pricing MTPE segments, as I don’t provide this service.

Chris Says Bye
Baran Keki

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
MT Jun 18

Samuel Murray wrote:

MTPE can only be where there is MT output. So are these strings machine translated? And what is the quality of that output?
In any case, just remind them of ISO 18587 and ask them if they have the appropriate certification.
Another question would be what kind of client this is.

Philip Lees

I'd start looking for new clients now... Jun 18

Samuel Murray wrote:

So, I'm thinking that I'll have to either accept that starting from this year, all of my work pays 30% less, or I have to change my pricing structure: my usual rate for standard segments, and my usual rate plus 30% for MTPE segments (so that, when the 30% discount is applied, I get paid my usual rate for those segments).

E.g. 6c per word for new and fuzzy segments and 9c per word for MTPE segments. Or 9c per word for new and fuzzy segments and 11c per word for MTPE segments.

It remains to be seen how my agency clients respond to this novel pricing structure.

Badly, I imagine. That kind of agency wants to save money, end of, and doesn't respond well to a "request" for a rate increase of any kind. The only leverage you have is if you are their only reliable "resource", as I was until recently for a certain global behemoth. Then they started doing exactly what you describe, so I simply stopped working with them.

It's no big loss. They only provided filler and I always hated the catty river-spanning ******** anyway.

Zea_Mays
Baran Keki
Annett Roessner

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Zea Jun 18

Zea_Mays wrote:
MTPE can only be where there is MT output. So are these strings machine translated? And what is the quality of that output?

Curiously, this is what one client also asked me: what is the quality of the MT output provided by the client? I guess the attitude is that if the MT quality is good, then the translator should be happy to give 30%.

I've never seen a client-supplied MT that is better than Google Translate. Clients' MT output are usually not too bad, but I still don't think I should take a 30% hit just because the client had enabled MT and set the CAT tool to either pre-populate with MT or to provide MT translations in the fuzzy match window.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
maths (with a 30% increase, you would lose money) Jun 18

If your standard rate is 0.12 ($/€ or whatever) per word, and your client pays you 30% less for MTPE, you'll get: 0.12 - 0.036 = 0.084
If you raise your standard rate by 30%, you'll get: 0.12 + 0.036 = 0.156
Now, in this "30% MTPE discount scheme", your client would then pay 70% of the latter, meaning 0.1092 (0.11 rounded).
So you'll have to raise your standard rate by more than 30% - rather 42-43%, meaning a rate of around 0.17 per word.

philgoddard
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: maths Jun 18

I prefer to keep my rates round numbers (i.e. client-friendly), and not add several digits after a decimal point. So what if I lose 10% on the deal. At least I'm not losing 30%.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I am not willing to lose even 10% Jun 18

So let's do calculations right.

philgoddard

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Zea Jun 18

Zea_Mays wrote:
I am not willing to lose even 10%

I'm not ideological about precise mathematics.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
not only for better impression Jun 18

Samuel Murray wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

When you have to choose between 11,000 and 12,000 bucks, you will.

Paul Adie

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:33
Serbian to English
+ ...
That's a new one. Jun 19

Samuel Murray wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

Up until now I was under the impression that if there is any science that can never be "ideological" in any way that would be maths.

But here I stand corrected.

Just in case you can overcome your "ideological reticence" to accurate maths here are some FACTS:

If a price has been lowered by 30% (from 100 to 70), in order to get back to the initial price the new lower price has to increased by 30/70*100= 42.86%, or 43% if you prefer a rounded figure.

Sure, anyone could be "ideological" about maths (never be worried about doing calculations right) - or about red and green light while crossing a road ... Does it really matter?

As for "Raise your rate for MTPE by 30%" I have my own solution: stay out of MTPE. At the limit, there are plenty more other interesting professions where knowing 2 or more languages is a huge bonus.

Zea_Mays

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:33
English to Turkish
@Samuel Jun 19

You seem to be in the freelance translation business for decades. You must have registered with hundreds, if not thousands, of translation agencies in the world. Do you have this much competition in Afrikaans or is it that lowly paid that you have to consider doing MTPE?
I always thought MTPE was the newcomer's game.

Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Raise your rate for MTPE by 30%

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »