Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: CV Assistance
Thread poster: Alisha Rice
Unfair Jun 18

Zea_Mays wrote:
Because a CV wouldn't mean a large amount?
Or because you think to smell a deliberate attempt to get it done pro bono?

$50 or $100 for someone to translate your CV isn't much of an investment, whatever your circumstances. I think it's taking the piss asking strangers to donate their time (aka money) without promising to walk up a big mountain or at least making up a heart-rending sob story about sick kids, a dead dog, a bad man and a broken banjo.

Jorge Payan
Baran Keki
Philip Lees
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Paul Adie

Alisha Rice
Alisha Rice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
Member (Jun 2024)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CV Assistance Jun 18

I think I communicated this incorrectly. I was just trying to display my resume in three different languages. I wasn't trying to misrepresent my qualifications as a translator in any way as I fully respect my responsibility as an ethical translator and do not want that questioned in any regard. I also do not want my knowledge as a translator questioned in any regard. I received a Master's in this field and was always told you are trained from your language you were educated into whatever field i... See more
I think I communicated this incorrectly. I was just trying to display my resume in three different languages. I wasn't trying to misrepresent my qualifications as a translator in any way as I fully respect my responsibility as an ethical translator and do not want that questioned in any regard. I also do not want my knowledge as a translator questioned in any regard. I received a Master's in this field and was always told you are trained from your language you were educated into whatever field into your native language is and not the reverse. You never should translate into a language you are not native in. I am sorry that I miscommunicated to anyone that I was unethical in any way. I was only trying to display my resume in all three languages. I only asked for assistance without being able to pay because I am on disabilty. I didn't expect to receive such harsh criticism. I wish people wouldn't respond in such judgemental ways. If anything, my qualities as a translator are superb from the work I have done so far.Collapse

Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
Rachel Waddington

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:39
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I never Jun 18

I never displayed or sent my resume in German or French, and my German and French clients keep contacting me in German/French all the time and at least 95% of them want the entire communication carried out in German/French.

If you show them your CV in PT, you’ll be contacted in PT for sure. Will you be able to fully communicate in PT then?

Nobody said you were unethical, I just raised practical concerns. It’s happening every day.

Alisha Rice
expressisverbis

Alisha Rice
United States
Member (Jun 2024)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CV Assistance Jun 18

This was reccommended to me by the person who introduced me to all the Pro Z features. I just went by her suggestions not even thinking about what could be the consequences.

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Lingua 5B
Rachel Waddington

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Who translates CVs? Jun 18

Lingua 5B wrote:

I never displayed or sent my resume in German or French, and my German and French clients keep contacting me in German/French all the time and at least 95% of them want the entire communication carried out in German/French.

If you show them your CV in PT, you’ll be contacted in PT for sure. Will you be able to fully communicate in PT then?

Nobody said you were unethical, I just raised practical concerns. It’s happening every day.

I suppose you send them a CV in English. Did you translate it by yourself?

As for sending CVs in general - I rarely do it because I am not looking for an in-house position.
As a freelancer, I send short summaries of my experience, studies and specialties, as well as a link to my website and things I have translated that are available online. So just a few lines.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Never did Jun 18

Zea_Mays wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I suppose you send them a CV in English. Did you translate it by yourself?

As for sending CVs in general - I rarely do it because I am not looking for an in-house position.
As a freelancer, I send short summaries of my experience, studies and specialties, as well as a link to my website and things I have translated that are available online. So just a few lines.

I’m just saying - despite the fact I never send them a CV in their language, they keep talking to me in their language. Imagine then what would be if I did.

I don’t do CVs either. I don’t understand your question about translation. My CV is not translated, it’s created.

Yes, I also send short summaries in English. French and German clients always reply in their language and want to keep it that way.

[Edited at 2024-06-18 14:33 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Well Jun 18

Alisha Rice wrote:

This was reccommended to me by the person who introduced me to all the Pro Z features. I just went by her suggestions not even thinking about what could be the consequences.

Based on your date of joining, perhaps it takes some time for you to feel and check how things work.

Also, there used to be a forum section where freelancers can ask each other for various favors. Not sure if it still exists.

On this end, we usually discuss business issues and paying projects.

Alisha Rice

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Criticism Jun 18

Alisha Rice wrote:

I think I communicated this incorrectly. I was just trying to display my resume in three different languages. I wasn't trying to misrepresent my qualifications as a translator in any way as I fully respect my responsibility as an ethical translator and do not want that questioned in any regard. I also do not want my knowledge as a translator questioned in any regard. I received a Master's in this field and was always told you are trained from your language you were educated into whatever field into your native language is and not the reverse. You never should translate into a language you are not native in. I am sorry that I miscommunicated to anyone that I was unethical in any way. I was only trying to display my resume in all three languages. I only asked for assistance without being able to pay because I am on disabilty. I didn't expect to receive such harsh criticism. I wish people wouldn't respond in such judgemental ways. If anything, my qualities as a translator are superb from the work I have done so far.

You haven't done anything wrong. There's nothing wrong with having your CV translated and there's nothing wrong with asking for a favour (you might not find anyone who wants to help, but that's another question).

Maybe you could look for someone who works in the opposite language direction to you so that you can help each other out with small things like this?

You will get all sorts of harsh criticism on this forum - take it with a pinch of salt.

Zea_Mays
Federica Scaccabarozzi
Michele Fauble
Chris Says Bye
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Paul Adie

Alisha Rice
United States
Member (Jun 2024)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CV Assistance Jun 18

That's a good suggestion. Thanks. I appreciate you being so kind. I can't be so sensitive. You are right. That's the kind of person I am. I guess I need to toughen up. I just joined the Premium version so I am new to this.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CV Assistance

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »