United States
Local time: 20:10
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Glad to Sep 22, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Riccardo,

What are the needs of a normal user that we would need to tackle differently? Perhaps you can take a single small example (or a large one) of something we provide for a normal user that is inadequate and then explain how we could improve it? I know it's hard to nail this kind of thing down as a whole but if you are specific it might help me to see what we're missing from your perspective... and that of others.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'll be glad to: I'll come up with a specific example, and also with suggestions about how to improve it.

But one very first example comes to mind - I've just opened Multiterm. I click on Help, and SDL MultiTerm Online Help comes up. So far so good. Now The problems begin: I see several buttons in the top bar, but no tool tips. I suppose that the printer icon means "print this page", then there are two arrows ("previous" and "next", I suppose), the icon for a search button, and, on the right a box and a second search icon.

So an user could be misled that in order to search for something he or she could input text in the (supposed) Search box, and click on the Search icon on its right. If you do that, you can type something all right (I typed "Import"), but the only thing that Search button does when clicked is to erase the text from the box.

Of course, I might be wrong and that is probably not a search button - it looks like it, though, and since there are not tool tips, I cannot be sure.

Next I click on the other "search" button. It gets me to a more promising page, with another text box. I again type "import" in the box - this time I do get a result - in fact, too many of them:

Importing Termbase Data [MultiTerm], Creating an Import Definition [MultiTerm], Import Validation Settings [MultiTerm], About Import Definitions [MultiTerm], About Importing Termbase Data [MultiTerm], Recreating Termbases [MultiTerm], New Topic1 [MultiTerm], Importing into Server-based Termbases - Entry Classes [MultiTerm], Advanced Options - Synchronize on Index Terms [MultiTerm], About Migrating a Multimedia File [MultiTerm]

...and that is only the first page of hits (there seem to be at least another three pages).

If I am a novice user, I'm in trouble already: what should I choose? Notice how there isn't any document on this first page titled "How to import [something]".

I persist: I assume it was all my fault, for launching too broad a search. So this time I type "Import tab delimited" (after all that's a popular format for keeping glossaries).

I get three hits: Specify Column Headers [MultiTerm], SDL MultiTerm Components [MultiTerm], About SDL MultiTerm Convert [MultiTerm].

None of them looks especially promising (Notice again: no "How to..."), so I choose the first: "Specify Column Headers"

"If you are converting from spreadsheet and database exchange format, you will see this page."

Sounds like I'm on the right path... but notice how this is not telling me *where* I will see this page - no program specific breadcrumbs.

The help page than sorts of gives instructions about what to do, again without specifying where.

---

What is clearly missing, at least if I start with a search like the one I have described above, is a clear procedure for doing what I'm trying to do: a "How to import a text glossary into Multiterm".

Someone at SDL should take a good look at how you yourself can clearly explain how to do things (on Multifarious or here), and then rewrite the help system with that clearly present in mind.

[Edited at 2013-09-22 00:55 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:10
Dutch to English
Suggestions Sep 23, 2013

If we're going to make suggestions for improvements, there are a couple of things that come straight to mind:

1) autosuggest dictionaries: you can use several at once, but you can only select them one by one! Real pain.

2) entering new terms: please add an option to create and save with a single command (instead of ctrl+F2 followed by ctrl+F12).

3) auto insert numbers: why aren't numbers automatically suggested (instead of needing to ctrl+alt+downarrow +
... See more
If we're going to make suggestions for improvements, there are a couple of things that come straight to mind:

1) autosuggest dictionaries: you can use several at once, but you can only select them one by one! Real pain.

2) entering new terms: please add an option to create and save with a single command (instead of ctrl+F2 followed by ctrl+F12).

3) auto insert numbers: why aren't numbers automatically suggested (instead of needing to ctrl+alt+downarrow + enter).

4) agree that it would be great to be able to hide toolbars/(ribbons in the future): F11 doesn't.

5) things to keep:
- love the preview pane in its current form; just like viewing the original in Word (would like option to see it refresh automatically and more frequently).
- love the way projects are organized.
- love packages!

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks,

Olly
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That doesn't really help Sep 23, 2013

Hi Paul,

SDL Support wrote:
... use F11 which hides everything apart from your working space in the Editor?

F11 maximizes the window and hides everything except what needs to be hidden. I don't want to hide the windows that I use, TM search results, Context search, TB hits, TM search, etc. I want to toggle visibility of the the menu, the toolbars and the status bar with one key combination. These are the items that I rarely use while translating, and just take up space. Also, I don't want to maximize the window. As someone else pointed out, screen real-estate is a valuable commodity, even when working with two monitors.

you of course have Ctrl+F1 to just hide the ribbon.

At least in Office, this key combination doesn't hide the the ribbon, it just minimizes it. In Word, I have created a procedure to actually hide or show the ribbon with a key combination. It would just be perfect to be able to assign a key combination for this purpose, even if it doesn't have a predefined combo by default. I'm sure advanced users will find it in the shortcut keys preferences.

Space with the ribbon... the standard toolbars take up around the same space as a ribbon

Probably, but how many advanced users use the standard toolbar layout? This standard layout and the ribbon in Office take the space of 3 vertical toolbars plus the menu bar. My standard layout includes no toolbars. But it is a hassle to go to View > Toolbars > Display filter, every time I need the filters, and then again to hide the toolbar. It would be much easier to press F8 (or something else) to show/hide the toolbars that I have selected in preferences.

It would also be an improvement if the toolbars in secondary (I don't know how to call them) windows could also be hidden. The only ones that are useful are the search box in the Termbase Search window and the save this entry in the Termbase Viewer window (because for some reason I always click the button instead of hitting Ctrl+F12).

For example, instead of having 5 redundant buttons and a bunch of blank wasted space at the top of the TM Results window, I would prefer to use that space to show another TM hit. That would save me from having to grab a mouse and scroll the TM results window, at least for an extra hit. You could move these button actions to a tiny menu next to the window menu (small downward arrow), or better yet, inside this window menu.

Manual... If you think we are missing something with this let me know and I'll either point it our to you or ensure we include it.

I didn't mean to say that you were missing something. It's just that because it seems, from what I have read, that a lot of users don't know that certain functions exist, maybe your manuals are not being read.

Jaime

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I see your point... Sep 26, 2013

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

So an user could be misled that in order to search for something he or she could input text in the (supposed) Search box, and click on the Search icon on its right. If you do that, you can type something all right (I typed "Import"), but the only thing that Search button does when clicked is to erase the text from the box.

---

What is clearly missing, at least if I start with a search like the one I have described above, is a clear procedure for doing what I'm trying to do: a "How to import a text glossary into Multiterm".

[Edited at 2013-09-22 00:55 GMT]

... although I don't get the results you do. Did you test this with the Beta version of MT 2014 or with 2011? I'm just wondering if there were still some changes going on at the time. I'm referring to the search part because using either box returns the results for me. The first one you tried searches in this help only and the other provides options for searching in specific places. But you are 100% correct in that we don't explain what these five buttons do and there are no tooltips.

I think you are also correct in that we don't find an article that explains nice and clearly how to import a text glossary into MultiTerm. We do provide all the details I think... but you need to be very familiar with the subject matter to understand it!

So, as we discussed in another place, we'll work on this and improve the material available. As you already pointed out Jayne Fox has written some excellent material on how to do this... in fact I just finished reading her PDF document on how to import a file and I needed to lie down and have a cup of tea by the time I got to the end If anyone else is interested in this excellent article you can find it here: http://goo.gl/Or3aoy

I think we do have some good material available, but we're definitely missing a step so that the new user to MultiTerm clearly understands the process and can see why it's handled the way it is. Once you grasp this concept I don't think it's too hard... although improving the process with the software is also on our agenda.

In the meantime, as we also discussed, there is the Glossary Converter on the OpenExchange which does a great job for most usecases and makes it really simple. But as you pointed out somewhere else, if you have very large files to handle it's better to know how to use MultiTerm because it will handle the larger files more robustly (albeit slowly...). The Glossary Converter can be found here of course: http://goo.gl/eW3doq

The developer is working on a new version of this, in Beta now, that is even more capable so this application is starting to provide some of the easier ways to exchange data with Multiterm that will make it easier even for the more complex termbases when you want to exchange information using a spreadsheet... as well as other neat features.

Regards

Paul

Christian Olivo (X)
Christian Olivo (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Possibility to upgrade from Trados Studio 2009 Sep 30, 2013

Maybe a stupid question - sorry about that. I own Trados Studio 2009. How can I upgrade to Studio 2014? Should I upgrae before to Studio 2011? Many thanks!

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:10
English to Spanish
Upgrading from Studio 2009 to 2014 Sep 30, 2013

Christian Olivo wrote:

Maybe a stupid question - sorry about that. I own Trados Studio 2009. How can I upgrade to Studio 2014? Should I upgrae before to Studio 2011? Many thanks!

Christian,

You can upgrade to Studio 2014 directly from the 2009 version.

Here is the page:
http://www.translationzone.com/shop/freelance-translator/

Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:10
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Disappointed Sep 30, 2013

I can't believe Trados 2014 does not support any MS Office 2013 document within the preview function! It was a pain with Trados 2011, and I so hoped that the 2014 version would support Word 2013.... very disappointed.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trial Version Sep 30, 2013

Hi All,

I'd wait for a trial version and check out whether you really like it and/or suits your needs.

As it's now released, I'd say as one of the beta tester that I'd be extremely reluctant to use any earlier versions of Studio, definitely would skip upgrading to 2011 even with the latest update - will certainly uninstall gradually any earlier versions just to clear disk space.

In terms of speed, performance, feel, etc., it's the fastest CAT tools I've (
... See more
Hi All,

I'd wait for a trial version and check out whether you really like it and/or suits your needs.

As it's now released, I'd say as one of the beta tester that I'd be extremely reluctant to use any earlier versions of Studio, definitely would skip upgrading to 2011 even with the latest update - will certainly uninstall gradually any earlier versions just to clear disk space.

In terms of speed, performance, feel, etc., it's the fastest CAT tools I've (beta) tested so far and I've tested it under Vista Pro 32-bit, Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 8 64-bit 8GB and put it to trial with over 20 tricky projects and so far so good!

Cheers,

Bernard
Collapse

Algis Masys
Algis Masys
Canada
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
XLZ filter problem Oct 1, 2013

In the Studio 2011, I was often using it to translate XLZ/XLF (XLZ is basically a zipped XLF). I was unzipping the XLZ, then editing the XLF and then again zipping it back to XLZ.

So I was very happy to find that the Studio 2014 supports XLZ - that would save a lot of my time spent for unzipping and zipping back.

But guess what. Although I can open and save the XLZ file, the Idiom WorldServer Desktop does not recognize them after being edited in Studio. So it seems, tha
... See more
In the Studio 2011, I was often using it to translate XLZ/XLF (XLZ is basically a zipped XLF). I was unzipping the XLZ, then editing the XLF and then again zipping it back to XLZ.

So I was very happy to find that the Studio 2014 supports XLZ - that would save a lot of my time spent for unzipping and zipping back.

But guess what. Although I can open and save the XLZ file, the Idiom WorldServer Desktop does not recognize them after being edited in Studio. So it seems, that this new feature is just a new bug.

Anybody else tried to work with the XLZ files?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What version of Office? Oct 1, 2013

NinonD wrote:

I can't believe Trados 2014 does not support any MS Office 2013 document within the preview function! It was a pain with Trados 2011, and I so hoped that the 2014 version would support Word 2013.... very disappointed.

Hi Ninon,

Can you confirm whether you are using the click to run version of MS Office 365?

If you are then the problem is caused by this special installation version of MS Office. This version is designed to streamline the installation process allowing you to start work before it's finished installing. However, this is what causes the problem because it doesn't install the components for Office in the same way as it does for the traditional installer.

Currently we are of the opinion this needs to be resolved by Microsoft and if you are suffering from this issue please raise it with them as they are the only ones who can help.

The realtime preview in Studio actually uses Word, so it's not a rendition of the page it is actually the real page that gets updated as you work. To do this we use a component supplied by Microsoft to host Word inside Studio. So the problem in a nutshell is that when (and only when) using this special "click to run" installer version, the component Microsoft supplies fails to load correctly as it isn't supported properly with this version of their installer.

We are not the only one suffering from this issue as there is no way to achieve automation processes at all with this mechanism for installing Office 365.

We will create a KB for this problem and will resolve it as soon as we have something from Microsoft to help. In the meantime, assuming this is the problem you are having, you need to uninstall this version and get the traditional Windows installer based version in order to install the Office 365 product.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2013-10-01 06:29 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Working with XLZ Oct 1, 2013

Algis Masys wrote:

But guess what. Although I can open and save the XLZ file, the Idiom WorldServer Desktop does not recognize them after being edited in Studio. So it seems, that this new feature is just a new bug.

Anybody else tried to work with the XLZ files?

Hello Algis,

Please can you advise what version of DWB you are using and what version of WorldServer supplied the files? Perhaps, if it's allowed, you can also share the original XLZ file and your translated SDLXLIFF?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Tejinder Soodan
Tejinder Soodan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:40
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Unable to download any new app Oct 1, 2013

After upgrading to version 2014, I am unable to download any new app from the App Store. For every app the download button is greyed with "Download not available, learn why this item is not available". On clicking the button I get "You have logged in successfully, but this app is not available for you to download because it is related to a license of SDL Trados Studio. For more information, please see the SDL OpenExchange Terms and Conditions."

This is happening with every app, even
... See more
After upgrading to version 2014, I am unable to download any new app from the App Store. For every app the download button is greyed with "Download not available, learn why this item is not available". On clicking the button I get "You have logged in successfully, but this app is not available for you to download because it is related to a license of SDL Trados Studio. For more information, please see the SDL OpenExchange Terms and Conditions."

This is happening with every app, even which I have downloaded earlier.

Regards
Tejinder
Collapse

Algis Masys
Algis Masys
Canada
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Thanks! Oct 1, 2013

Thanks, Paul. I've emailed you the details.

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Algis,

Please can you advise what version of DWB you are using and what version of WorldServer supplied the files? Perhaps, if it's allowed, you can also share the original XLZ file and your translated SDLXLIFF?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
I have the same problem Oct 1, 2013

Since I am not planning to download and use the 2014 version soon, I really need to be able to download the Open Exchange apps for Studio 2011. Can someone at SDL fix this soon??

Chun-yi

Tejinder Soodan wrote:

This is happening with every app, even which I have downloaded earlier.

Regards
Tejinder

Ninon Dion
Ninon Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:10
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Not Windows 365 Oct 1, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

NinonD wrote:

Hi Ninon,

Can you confirm whether you are using the click to run version of MS Office 365?

Hello Paul,

I'm actually using a standard version of MS Office 2013, installed on my computer.
Is there something I'm not doing right? Because I for sure cannot seems to preview anything from that Suite.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »