Studio 2011: Importing TMX replaces system field values with current values
Thread poster: Tapsa
Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 13:54
English to Finnish
Nov 14, 2011

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here...

I received a TM as TMX file (it has been created with MemoQ 5), but whatever settings I try in Studio 2011, the import function replaces system field values with current ones.

This means that creation and last modification dates and creator of every TU are replaced with current date/time and me as creator. This is not good.

However, if I import the same TMX in Trados Workbench, all system fields stay intact, and if
... See more

I received a TM as TMX file (it has been created with MemoQ 5), but whatever settings I try in Studio 2011, the import function replaces system field values with current ones.

This means that creation and last modification dates and creator of every TU are replaced with current date/time and me as creator. This is not good.

However, if I import the same TMX in Trados Workbench, all system fields stay intact, and if I export the file from Workbench and import it in Studio, the fields stay intact.

There must be some higher level of something involved here, but I haven't figured it out.

Any ideas? Sure one should be able to import TMX with system fields direct in Studio 2011 without using some - pardon me for saying this - prehistoric software in the middle.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Studio broken Nov 15, 2011

Tapsa wrote:

However, if I import the same TMX in Trados Workbench, all system fields stay intact, and if I export the file from Workbench and import it in Studio, the fields stay intact.

There must be some higher level of something involved here, but I haven't figured it out.

Any ideas? Sure one should be able to import TMX with system fields direct in Studio 2011 without using some - pardon me for saying this - prehistoric software in the middle.

You aren't doing anything wrong. SDL is doing it wrong. I have flagged up this problem in the forum before, and then flagged it up once again, but got no answer.
This of course shouldn't happen with a standard format. As far as I know, the TMX format was in the hands of LISA, which went bust this February. This leaves TMX in a limbo with nobody seeing to it that people actually implement the standard fully and correctly... and they don't. They never have. Various CAT tools have a history of using mutually incompatible language codes and rejecting each other's files. They don't even fail graciously, letting the user know about the problem and allowing them to pick an alternative language code on the fly. They just fail and leave the user high and dry due to this trivial incompatibility.
If I was a cynical person, I would be inclined to believe that SDL and perhaps other vendors break the importing of TMX files from "3rd party" sources on purpose to nudge people towards an all-SDL (all-whatever) workflow that offers increased functionality over CAT-hopping. But of course I'm sure that's not the case, I'm sure SDL can produce a reasonable explanation for this phenomenon. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

In the meantime, you can try opening your TMX files in a text editor and editing the header as described in the linked thread. Please report back if it worked.

[Edited at 2011-11-15 11:07 GMT]

Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 13:54
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
It works Nov 16, 2011

Thank you, FarkasAndras!

The method you described works too.

I also tried Olifant and changed the value of Original TM Format field to "TW4Win 2.0 Format". It works too

Of course, it doesn't matter if you change the field value in text editor or Olifant. It may be easier with Olifant, although it likes to change the TMX file creation tool and version fields to those of Olifant (well, I guess those are related only to the TMX file, not TUs, so it doesn't mat
... See more
Thank you, FarkasAndras!

The method you described works too.

I also tried Olifant and changed the value of Original TM Format field to "TW4Win 2.0 Format". It works too

Of course, it doesn't matter if you change the field value in text editor or Olifant. It may be easier with Olifant, although it likes to change the TMX file creation tool and version fields to those of Olifant (well, I guess those are related only to the TMX file, not TUs, so it doesn't matter).

Still, this kind of fiddling is a nuisance

cheers
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:54
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nuisance Nov 16, 2011

Tapsa wrote:

It works

Still, this kind of fiddling is a nuisance

Undoubtedly. There are two possibilities here: Either the software vendors are not complying with the TMX standard, or the standard is not precise enough. I believe it's the former. It's annoying to say the least.
It would be fairly easy to write a script that changes the o-tmf string automatically, but I guess that only makes sense if you need to "fix" many TMX files at the same time. Otherwise, a text editor works almost as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Importing TMX replaces system field values with current values

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »