Ignoring originally 100% matches when reviewing (Word or Tageditor workflow)
Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:47
English to French
Aug 21, 2009

(Using Trados Workbench with Word or Tageditor in SDL Trados 2007.)

I have one client who doesn't want 100% matches to be touched, and accordingly doesn't pay for them, but who all the same includes the complete un-pretranslated document in the translation kit (vs. locking the 100% matches as Context Matches, for example).

When translating I am using Alt-* (skips 100% matches to next fuzzy / new word).

My workflow however includes a complete review, segment
... See more
(Using Trados Workbench with Word or Tageditor in SDL Trados 2007.)

I have one client who doesn't want 100% matches to be touched, and accordingly doesn't pay for them, but who all the same includes the complete un-pretranslated document in the translation kit (vs. locking the 100% matches as Context Matches, for example).

When translating I am using Alt-* (skips 100% matches to next fuzzy / new word).

My workflow however includes a complete review, segment by segment, before delivery, and of course Alt-* won't work this time since by then everything is in the TM.

The original match figure is still included in each segment, but how can I use this to automatically discriminate segments and review only the "not originally 100% match" ones?

I would like to either lock the originally 100% match segments, or have a command that skips them at reviewing time.
Collapse

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:47
English to German
not possible, I think Aug 21, 2009

I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm currently working on a project with 100% matches that must not be touched at all even if they include errors and 100% matches that have to be checked. The customer has helpfully coloured the "untouchables" green so I can skip through them a little faster. Still, my workflow includes opening every segment during the review stage. There is now way I could rely on my visually spotting the text I need to check.

And if the source file were a
... See more
I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm currently working on a project with 100% matches that must not be touched at all even if they include errors and 100% matches that have to be checked. The customer has helpfully coloured the "untouchables" green so I can skip through them a little faster. Still, my workflow includes opening every segment during the review stage. There is now way I could rely on my visually spotting the text I need to check.

And if the source file were a Word file, which in this instance it isn't, I couldn't even proofread the target file in Word because the green would no longer be applied to the text I can ignore.

All I can suggest is that the client lock the segments in advance. I sometimes receive TTX files where that has been done and those segments are skipped automatically. But I don't think it is possible to lock them at our end.
Collapse

Séverine Boisson
Séverine Boisson  Identity Verified
English to French
Possible workaround Aug 21, 2009

Hi Jacques,

I don't think you can lock 100% matches when you are using Word, and I never applied the lock myself in TagEditor. Maybe someone else can help.
What I do is make a copy of the TM before translating. Then, for review, I go back to that copy, which doesn't contain my translation. During review, it will stop on all newly translated or edited segments, but not on the original 100% matches.

Barbara Micheletto
Barbara Micheletto
Italy
Member (2005)
Russian to Italian
+ ...
During the reviewing phase Aug 21, 2009

I usually re-open the original TM the customer sent me (I make a copy of it in a separate folder before starting my translation), so in reviewing my file I only open the segments that is my responsibility to translate using the same command (but this time I find there my translation, which I review and correct as needed).

barbara

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 21, 2009

Séverine: That's very clever! Thank you, I will try this next time I work for that client.

Rebekka: Thanks. In your case I would ask the client to set the untouchable segments as locked Context Matches, and failing that to pay a supplement since you have to do a painful work of manual segment discrimination.

Barbara: Thanks, you're doing like Séverine. Should have thought of it

[Edited at 2009-08
... See more
Séverine: That's very clever! Thank you, I will try this next time I work for that client.

Rebekka: Thanks. In your case I would ask the client to set the untouchable segments as locked Context Matches, and failing that to pay a supplement since you have to do a painful work of manual segment discrimination.

Barbara: Thanks, you're doing like Séverine. Should have thought of it

[Edited at 2009-08-21 09:26 GMT]
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 11:17
Use wild card searches Aug 21, 2009

This is from an article showing how Regular Expressions (wild card searches) can be used in Word. I don't have the link to the original article, but here is the relevant portion of the article:

-----------------------------------------------------
Another wildcard search: how to exclude 100% matches from editing

Another occasion when I find wildcard searches useful is when I have edit some file that my customer sens me already pre-translated in Trados (but not X-T
... See more
This is from an article showing how Regular Expressions (wild card searches) can be used in Word. I don't have the link to the original article, but here is the relevant portion of the article:

-----------------------------------------------------
Another wildcard search: how to exclude 100% matches from editing

Another occasion when I find wildcard searches useful is when I have edit some file that my customer sens me already pre-translated in Trados (but not X-Translated), with the indication that 100% should not be touched (and will not be paid).
In this case I use the following search string to find only 0% or fuzzy matches and skip the 100% matches:

\
This tells Word to search for a ""
With this search string Word will find all the delimiters between SL and TL, but only in segments up to 99% match, while skipping all 100% matches.

Note:
If you decide to use this search string (or a similar one) while editing files translated with Trados with Workbench open, be aware of a bug: if you open the segment in Workbench before first closing the Find window, the segment will be opened with corrupt characters ("-{}-") at the beginning, and it will not be possible to close it (error message: "no segment appears to be open").
My workaround for this is:

1. Do all corrections possible without opening the segments in WOrkbench
2. When a segment has to be opened, be sure to close the Find window first.

--------------------------------------------------

This is an article written by Riccardo Schiaffino, 2005 on May 17, 2005, and I'm sure I have his implicit permission to reproduce this segment of the article here.
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 11:17
Other approaches (one based on a Trados recommendation!) Aug 21, 2009

I remember reading somewhere that Trados recommends translation with the "Show/Hide" hidden characters feature turned on, so you can see all source and target segments at the same time. Yeah, right! A feast for the eyes indeed

Nevertheless, in this situation, it makes sense.

All segments with the delimiter

are 100% match segments. One can rapidly scan through the document and visually exclu
... See more
I remember reading somewhere that Trados recommends translation with the "Show/Hide" hidden characters feature turned on, so you can see all source and target segments at the same time. Yeah, right! A feast for the eyes indeed

Nevertheless, in this situation, it makes sense.

All segments with the delimiter

are 100% match segments. One can rapidly scan through the document and visually exclude 100% match segments.

I've also in the past used a different color for 100% match segments, but had to discontinue the practice since it was all too easy to forget reverting to the original Trados color before turning in the unclean file to the client, a practice that was not appreciated.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
XTranslate Aug 21, 2009

If the ttx file contains already the segmenting and the matching info, you can do it. If not, first you have to translate the file automatically with the TM provided by the client.

Open the original ttx (that is, of course, the copy you can experiment with!) in a text editor, e.g. Notepad. The tags should look like this:

<Tu MatchPercent="100">

Then you change them all to:

<Tu Origin="XTranslate" MatchPercent="101">

If
... See more
If the ttx file contains already the segmenting and the matching info, you can do it. If not, first you have to translate the file automatically with the TM provided by the client.

Open the original ttx (that is, of course, the copy you can experiment with!) in a text editor, e.g. Notepad. The tags should look like this:

<Tu MatchPercent="100">

Then you change them all to:

<Tu Origin="XTranslate" MatchPercent="101">

If you open the file in TagEditor, you will see that the segments cannot be opened any more. If you use the Set/Close next Open/Get command, the next unlocked segment will be opened.

[Edited at 2009-08-21 10:02 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
My way Aug 21, 2009

In such a situation, when I'm not paid for 100% matches, I analyse the files with the actual TM (which should be correct and checked of course). Then I select "99" for the row at the bottom, where it says "export Unknown Segments). Then I click on this button and select as export format rtf and save those unknown segments to a file which name you can chose.

This file can be opened in Word or TE.

Now you can either first translate this file with the unknown segments, ch
... See more
In such a situation, when I'm not paid for 100% matches, I analyse the files with the actual TM (which should be correct and checked of course). Then I select "99" for the row at the bottom, where it says "export Unknown Segments). Then I click on this button and select as export format rtf and save those unknown segments to a file which name you can chose.

This file can be opened in Word or TE.

Now you can either first translate this file with the unknown segments, check the spelling etc. and update the tm with the changes. Then you translate the original files "translate to fuzzy" and save them. Done.
Or you can translate the original files first (makes sense when there is context-issues) and translate the rtf-file after that. Again you check only the translation of the unknown segments. Correct the segments that need to be corrected in the original files. Update the tm.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Nina Nikitina
Nina Nikitina  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
in TagEditor Aug 21, 2009

try Alt+Ctrl+Home (Open next no 100%/Get)

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
The absolute weapon: Ctrl-Alt-+ Aug 21, 2009

Nina's suggestion is great (thanks!), however the problem with this is that if you have a large number of non-100% matches, you need to do Set/Close, then Nina's macro every time.

I had a closer look and saw that what we want exists: Ctrl-Alt-+. It will do a Set/Close, then open the next non-100% match and do a Get.

I just checked and it works in Tageditor also.

That settles it for me!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Barbara Micheletto
Barbara Micheletto
Italy
Member (2005)
Russian to Italian
+ ...
maybe it is worth mentioning... Aug 21, 2009

if you do that way (Ctrl-Alt-Num+ - Set Close next no 100% Open Get) to review a translated document, at the end of your review you'd better "pass" all the file with the "translate to fuzzy" command, starting from the very beginning. Otherwise when you change the text of a segment previously translated, the program won't open the next 100% match of the same segment, and it will not get corrected. Let's suppose you substitute "caution" for "warning" in the first, one-word, segment; the program wi... See more
if you do that way (Ctrl-Alt-Num+ - Set Close next no 100% Open Get) to review a translated document, at the end of your review you'd better "pass" all the file with the "translate to fuzzy" command, starting from the very beginning. Otherwise when you change the text of a segment previously translated, the program won't open the next 100% match of the same segment, and it will not get corrected. Let's suppose you substitute "caution" for "warning" in the first, one-word, segment; the program will then skip next 100% matches unless you use the "translate to fuzzy" command (Alt+Num*). Only translate to fuzzy will spot the different target in the TM.

barbara

[Edited at 2009-08-21 14:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ignoring originally 100% matches when reviewing (Word or Tageditor workflow)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »