Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 27, 2005

Hi there!

I have always been a desktop girl. But this year I finally bought a laptop so that I could work while traveling abroad. Ever since I returned I find it difficult to
revert back to desktop. I love working in the garden, when I have a bad back I work in bed, I check my mail while having breakfast etc.
So I am trying to figure out, if this is for good or desktop has its advantages after all and I should force myself to go back to it. Or maybe it is just a matter o
... See more
Hi there!

I have always been a desktop girl. But this year I finally bought a laptop so that I could work while traveling abroad. Ever since I returned I find it difficult to
revert back to desktop. I love working in the garden, when I have a bad back I work in bed, I check my mail while having breakfast etc.
So I am trying to figure out, if this is for good or desktop has its advantages after all and I should force myself to go back to it. Or maybe it is just a matter of personal preference.

Cheers,
Burrell
Collapse

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Laptop Sep 27, 2005

With the advent of 80G hard drives, all they ways to back up programs/translation...better resolution on laptop monitors, normal keyboards, wi-fi etc...why go back?

However, I do love my 19-inch flat screen!

My answer, do both...buy a nice 2G flash stick to swap as required/desired between the machines. Why limit yourself?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Polish to English
+ ...
Desktop laptop over the top Sep 27, 2005

Bear in mind - a laptop is expensive and troublesome to reconfigure/ upgrade.

Personally, I detest laptop keyboards. My typing style just isn't suited to them (that's solved by hooking up an external keyboard, but then your portability goes out the window).

At home, I have one of each. We bought the laptop as a second computer. My wife uses it (she doesn't mind the keyboard) and I use the desktop.

Otherwise not quite sure of the intent of your post... If yo
... See more
Bear in mind - a laptop is expensive and troublesome to reconfigure/ upgrade.

Personally, I detest laptop keyboards. My typing style just isn't suited to them (that's solved by hooking up an external keyboard, but then your portability goes out the window).

At home, I have one of each. We bought the laptop as a second computer. My wife uses it (she doesn't mind the keyboard) and I use the desktop.

Otherwise not quite sure of the intent of your post... If you have problems with space at home, for example, stay with the laptop.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Desktop vs laptop Sep 27, 2005

No, no problem with the space. Basically it would be nice to find out which of the two other translators prefer and why, so that I can decide whether to go on using the laptop and keep the desktop as a just in case computer. Before I started to use laptop I was planning to upgrade the desktop. But now I am not sure I should do that.

danya
danya
Local time: 20:19
English to Russian
+ ...
both are good Sep 27, 2005

I have had a corporate laptop for some 4 months now, and I enjoy using it, and my typing is much better now. However, I do have desktops at homes (I live alternately in 2), and I don't think I want to rid of them in the short-term at least. I think it's nice having both, if you can))

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Upgrading desktops Sep 27, 2005

In my experience (I'm not a techno-geek!), a computer's life cycle is about 5 years. After that advances in technology and/ or software force you to pretty much buy a new machine.

If your current desktop runs reasonably efficiently, there is no point in upgrading it. A time will come when it becomes obsolete anyway, and then you will go out buy a shiny new computer.

P.A.S.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Notebooks are noisy but ... how to swap? Sep 27, 2005

Kurt Porter wrote:
My answer, do both...buy a nice 2G flash stick to swap as required/desired between the machines. Why limit yourself?

I find it difficult swapping between 2 computers, even impossible. Even with a 20G USB HD, keeping all settings and databases current for all sw packages (from Mail, TM, AV etc etc) is extremely timeconsuming and often complicate. On the contrary 2 computer can often speed up work when used at the same time.

The only reason I'd like to go back to a desktop is noise: after many hours of work my Toshiba starts getting hot and noisy, resulting into higher human brain fatigue. I hear most dekstops do not have this problem.

Kevin Burns
Kevin Burns
German to English
Laptop! Sep 27, 2005

Since buying my laptop (Sony Vaio - a real LAP top that can sit on my lap for hours without hurting)I've hardly used my PC, but it's nice to have a backup just in case.

Kevin

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Laptop, by all means :-) Sep 27, 2005

I also have both types, although nothing is greater than my small VAIO!! I love it. It allows me to work by the pool, in the garden, by the TV, while in Holland for holydays, on the plane... It has given me an entirely and priceless new perspective on my daily duties. Now I'm a "translator on the move".

Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Laptops are bad for your back! Sep 27, 2005

Hi there!
A laptop was never intended to be used permanently - it's designed to be used for short periods away from the office or from home! I have been using a laptop permanently for the last two years and have acquired a terribly bad back because of it: as the laptop is usually placed on some sort of table, your hands, when typing, are placed far too high for comfort. You can, of course, sit on a height-adjustable chair to make up for this. Also, you are constantly looking down at the sc
... See more
Hi there!
A laptop was never intended to be used permanently - it's designed to be used for short periods away from the office or from home! I have been using a laptop permanently for the last two years and have acquired a terribly bad back because of it: as the laptop is usually placed on some sort of table, your hands, when typing, are placed far too high for comfort. You can, of course, sit on a height-adjustable chair to make up for this. Also, you are constantly looking down at the screen instead of straight ahead, which strains your neck. I have now decided to buy a desktop PC for work at home and I'll only use the laptop for travel.
Regards and Happy Translating,
Kathinka
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ergonomics speak for the desk-computer Sep 27, 2005

I myself decided against laptops. When I'm travelling or at our dacha I enjoy being away from work. I'm thinking about buying a mobile phone with good screen and efficient mailing capabilities, but this would keep me also partially at work during holidays. So I doubt if its a good idea at all.
Regards
Heinrich

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
laptop + USB hub cradle + ergonomic keyboard + external HD Sep 27, 2005

Just a quickie -

I'd definitely go for the laptop.

I'm networked to a desktop should I need it, but I rarely do.

I have a widescreen laptop sitting on a cradle. The cradle lifts the screen up to the correct height. It has 4 integrated USB ports so I plug my mouse and keyboard into that. I had doubts about whether that would slow things down, but it hasn't. I have just one USB cable linking it to my laptop - I can just take it out and I'm away!

... See more
Just a quickie -

I'd definitely go for the laptop.

I'm networked to a desktop should I need it, but I rarely do.

I have a widescreen laptop sitting on a cradle. The cradle lifts the screen up to the correct height. It has 4 integrated USB ports so I plug my mouse and keyboard into that. I had doubts about whether that would slow things down, but it hasn't. I have just one USB cable linking it to my laptop - I can just take it out and I'm away!

Typing for extended periods of time on a laptop keyboard is not good. I have an ergonomic keyboard which was expensive but I swear by it.

I then have an external 160GB hard drive.

Sorted. Best of both worlds. And 100% flexible/removable.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-09-27 13:53]

[Edited at 2005-09-27 13:54]
Collapse

Magdalena Reyes
Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
I just love my notebook! Sep 27, 2005

About a year ago i bought a notebook and for me has been something that adjust to the way I feel! I love freedom and I can work anywhere I want! ... if I decide to go to the beach or visit my parents i can still be connected and not to be away from my passion... translating!
I used to have a desktop and I never liked the feeling of being "obligated" to be just in one place.
Regarding ergonomics, I pay attention on how i sit and consider the right distance of the screen and placing
... See more
About a year ago i bought a notebook and for me has been something that adjust to the way I feel! I love freedom and I can work anywhere I want! ... if I decide to go to the beach or visit my parents i can still be connected and not to be away from my passion... translating!
I used to have a desktop and I never liked the feeling of being "obligated" to be just in one place.
Regarding ergonomics, I pay attention on how i sit and consider the right distance of the screen and placing correctly my hands.
I believe you should think what is better for you, what are your preferences and how you feel in relation of this "little device"... that is fine for you, that is perfect!
Good luck! Magdalena
Collapse

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Laptops are not bad for your back Sep 27, 2005

The way you sit, the chair you use, your table... that hurts your back, not a computer!!

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Laptop Sep 28, 2005

I dont' like the feeling to be binded to one working place, even if I work at home. And while traveling you have your small office right at your hand.
As to the ergonomics - if you prefer you can easily hook up external mouse, and keyboard. Sometimes I hook up also my external LCD monitor, and use the function of extended monitor (in Windows XP). It helps great when working with several applications (for example I open file for translation in one monitor, and the reference pdf file, and T
... See more
I dont' like the feeling to be binded to one working place, even if I work at home. And while traveling you have your small office right at your hand.
As to the ergonomics - if you prefer you can easily hook up external mouse, and keyboard. Sometimes I hook up also my external LCD monitor, and use the function of extended monitor (in Windows XP). It helps great when working with several applications (for example I open file for translation in one monitor, and the reference pdf file, and Trados window in another one. To be true, since I've bought my laptop a year ago, I do not use my desktop at all (except but for backing up the files, though at first I thought I'll use it only when I'll be out.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Desktop vs laptop

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »