Am I entitled to unlimited version?
Thread poster: Philip Lees
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:56
Greek to English
Dec 21, 2022

About two weeks ago I updated to CafeTran 11.2.3 Eclair, after some difficulty, and now the program has started throwing up error messages about limits to my use of the software.

To complete the update successfully, I had to link CafeTran to my ProZ membership, which I did.

However, the "About" screen shows that CafeTran is licensed to "ProZ.com Standard Member", even though I am a professional member. I thought that gave me a full subscription to unlimited use of CafeT
... See more
About two weeks ago I updated to CafeTran 11.2.3 Eclair, after some difficulty, and now the program has started throwing up error messages about limits to my use of the software.

To complete the update successfully, I had to link CafeTran to my ProZ membership, which I did.

However, the "About" screen shows that CafeTran is licensed to "ProZ.com Standard Member", even though I am a professional member. I thought that gave me a full subscription to unlimited use of CafeTran. Is that not right?

Why has this happened and what can I do about it? I am using CafeTran on Windows 10.

All suggestions gratefully received.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Plus Package Dec 21, 2022

Hi Philip,

During the pandemic in the western world, CafeTran could be used with a normal Proz license.

Now you’ll need the Plus Package:

https://www.proz.com/about-plus-package#about-release

Last year there was this offer:

531E5785-5A35-41CD-9505-4421A214AE4D

Perhaps they will have an offer this year too?

Else you’re probably better off buying a license via CafeTran.com.

Edit: Looks like it:

https://go.proz.com/2022

The advantage of the Plus membership is that you can activate CafeTran on a new computer right away. No need to contact support.

You’ll have to decide yourself if this feature is worth 144 - 67 = 77 € to you.

[Edited at 2022-12-21 07:39 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:56
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Considerations Dec 21, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Hi Philip,

During the pandemic in the western world, ...

So the pandemic is over, is it? Nobody told me. In fact, I know two people here who caught Covid just last week.

Anyway ...

... CafeTran could be used with a normal Proz license.

Now you’ll need the Plus Package:

Maybe I will need to reconsider my ProZ subscription the next time renewal comes around.

I don't really need the features that are being blocked (unlimited TMs) as I don't use them. I just want to stop the error messages.

However, I may take out a subscription anyway, as CafeTran is useful software and deserves to be supported.

Dan Lucas

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Okay Dec 21, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

So the pandemic is over, is it? Nobody told me. In fact, I know two people here who caught Covid just last week.

You’re right. That should have been: during the height of the pandemic…

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
PROZ TGB Dec 21, 2022

Hey Philip,

If you want to access CafeTran's unlimited/licensed version without taking a ProZ Plus subscription, I suggest you look at the ProZ TGB (Translator Group Buy) campaigns.

https://www.proz.com/tgb.php

I think you can still join the current campaign and get the three-year license at €130 instead of €200. That's €43.33 per year.

Note: If you e
... See more
Hey Philip,

If you want to access CafeTran's unlimited/licensed version without taking a ProZ Plus subscription, I suggest you look at the ProZ TGB (Translator Group Buy) campaigns.

https://www.proz.com/tgb.php

I think you can still join the current campaign and get the three-year license at €130 instead of €200. That's €43.33 per year.

Note: If you enter a valid EU VAT number, you'll also get exempted from any added VAT.

Note2: This is a "perpetual" license. You can still use it past the three years, but won't be able to update CafeTran or receive a new license file in case you replace your hard drive or computer without obtaining a new license.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2022-12-21 16:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-12-21 22:55 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I entitled to unlimited version?

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »